A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

I have some questions:
1. Germany:
-Did Prussia soon start rebellion against Emperor? Gold from Albion and harsh words from Vienna are enough for Prussian King ? Or Queen from Berlin has more balls than her husband?
Not outright rebellion, not yet. Prussia has adopted the Austrian policy of "ehh, I don't feel like it." and is more or less staying neutral until the Russians get closer.
- Which countries from Confederation of Rhine participated in this? We can read of Bavarian, i think second in numbers are saxon but which others? This question is just for my curiosity.
Pretty much all of them more or less, just those are the only two that get their own Corps.
- Can Napoleon birbe Austria? You know, Iliria send back, or something in Germany? Austria still can give more troops than Germany
He certainly could, but he's not the type to do that, especially at this point in history.
2. Spain:
-Did esteemed author have some plans that can change OTL? Still Wellington will see other side of Mountains?
The "esteemed author" is pulling this story out of his ass as he goes, I honestly couldn't tell you.
3. Poland:
- So Poniatowski will be Marshall?
Almost certainly.

Fascinating timeline. I don't have my copy of 1812 on me right now, but from what I can remember, retreating earlier might have saved much of the Grande Armee, but a shortage French cavalry is still going to be somewhat of an issue. Furthermore, how much longer can Napoleon keep this up? With much of the army consisting of conscripts now, the long-term demographic issues of France will be worsened even more than OTL. Then there's the question of peace: by this time Alexander saw the fight with the French in apocalyptic terms, and much of the Russian nobility seems to have agreed. Even if Napoleon manages to beat the Russians again, who's to say they won't just pull the same trick twice? Finally, what made Alexander decide to re-take up command of the Army? OTL he seems to have pretty much realized how much of a poor decision that was.

Finally, what made Alexander decide to re-take up command of the Army? OTL he seems to have pretty much realized how much of a poor decision that was.
He's not quite in command of the army, he's the commander in chief of THE Russian army. He's being weird and as you said has basically branded Napoleon the antichrist, which makes it easy to guess how he sees himself. It's more of a "I have to look busy" sort of thing, but yes the Russian HQ is going to make poor Barclay want to eat a flintlock.

He's not quite in command of the army, he's the commander in chief of THE Russian army. He's being weird and as you said has basically branded Napoleon the antichrist, which makes it easy to guess how he sees himself. It's more of a "I have to look busy" sort of thing, but yes the Russian HQ is going to make poor Barclay want to eat a flintlock.
Don’t overestimate Alexander’s foolishness: in 1913-14 he behaved reasonably well rarely interfering into the operational level of war (besides doing from time to time some unnecessary posturing) and being mostly concerned with “grand strategy”, aka dealing with the allies. No Austerlitz-style idiocies.

In OTL during that period Barclay was doing just fine. Besides being treated with a high respect, in 1813 he got St. Andrew (highest order of the Russian Empire) and St. George 1st class (highest military award) and made a hereditary count, was elevated to fieldmarshal in 1814 (only 7 years to raise from major general to fieldmarshal) and in 1815 was made a hereditary prince. Hardly a reason to eat the indigestible substances. 😜

Part 22-Opening Move

Minsk, April 3rd, 1813​

"So Berthier, any reports from the Grouchy?" Marshal Bessiéres wearily asked for the dozenth time that morning "...No." His chief of staff said, letting his impatience show "As I've told you precisely seven times today, I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. Besides, weren't you supposed to supposed to be inspecting the siege works?" Bessiéres shook his head "Not much point to that, this isn't Smolensk, the city just isn't a fortress." It was true, the fortifcations they'd managed to build up during Winter and moreso early Spring would help keep the Cossacks and scouts away, but the numbers the were facing were too large to make a siege possible

"Fine..." Bessiéres shook his head "You're right, I'll go have a look at the artillery." Just as he began to step out of the parlour of some Russian countess' apartment that had been serving as his HQ, and aide rode up. Both the horse and the man riding it looked close to death "Marshal..." The man gasped "Marshal Bessiéres?" and sloppily saluted "That's right, come down son, catch your breath." "Yes sir." He led the messenger back to his HQ, where the man threw back half a bottle of bad Russian wine and demolished a pound of bread.

"It's been a hell of a week, sir." He said "General Grouchy wanted me to send you this" He pulled a letter out of his waistcoat "Then on the way back a messenger from The Emperor makes me pass this along." He pulled out an envelope with Napoleon's seal Bessiéres tore it open "Berthier" Oh it's for you. Berthier took the letter "I have Duroc and Coulaincourt filling in for you, and they're shitting themselves. I need you, depart for my headquarters as soon as you recieve this." "Oh thank christ." "Language." Bessiéres chided him. "Well, you know how they say it's been a pleasure, it hasn't." Bessiéres said sarcastically.

"I'll leave today, oblige me with a fresh horse and some guards will you." his commander nodded "Best of luck friend." Berthier left without another word. Turning to Grouchy's letter, he figured it was likely more urgent "Large groups of Cossacks and regular cavalry have been spotted around Lahoysk and Maryina Horka, about two corps in total. Looks to be a classic screen, and an effective one at that. I believe the Russians have crossed the Berezina in force." Bessiéres frowned as he finished reading "Have orders for the army to leave at dawn tomarrow, destroy everything we can't take." Only then did he realize his chief of staff was gone, and only the ravenous aide was still there, paying him no mind as he gnawed on a piece of salt beef the size of his head. The Marshal sighed "I really hate this job sometimes."

Last edited:
Part 23- The Bravest of the Brave
Indeed the Russian army had begun to move in the first week of April. After the French retreat from Smolensk in November, General Bennigsen's army had linked up with those of Barclay and Wittgenstein, but due to the overcrowding at Borisov, had Wintered in Smolensk. By April these three forces in total numbered around 170,000 men, facing hardly 30,000 Franco-Allied troops. In all likelihood all that was needed was a simple frontal attack, there was no stroke of tactical genius that would allow victory against odds of more than five to one.

In fact this seemed obvious enough that for once, both Kutuzov and Barclay were in complete agreement about a cautious but steady advance on Minsk, but the Tsar objected. He insisted that nothing but the total annihilation of the foreign invader would buoy the morale of the Russian Army and people, and ordered a plan that could achieve that. Somewhat reluctantly, Kutuzov drew up a plan for Barclay to carry out. Using Cossacks under Platov in the North and Karpov to the South, they would screen their movements from the French. These forces forded the Berezina near Kimiya and Byerazino on April 1st.

The next day around 50,000 men each under Wittgenstein in the North and Bennigsen in the South followed them on pontoon bridges, while the rest of the Army under Barclay and company crossed at Borisov. The plan did achieve its goal on its face, Bessiéres had no idea the number nor composition nor movements of the Russian infantry. However, thanks to the efforts of General Grouchy and his cavalry (Who were even more severely outnumbered than the infantry) Bessiéres knew that the army was likely crossing in force. Despite having no permission from Napoleon to do so, the French left Minsk on the 4th, 28,000 fighting men, and 115 guns. Barclay reached the city just later that day, and launched a frantic pursuit against the French.

Bessiéres decided to keep retreating the way they'd come, to Vilnius, where he hoped to resupply one last time before falling back to cover Warsaw. As he did so, the Cossacks attacked in force, but without infantry support could do little but slow the French down. The retreat soon became another race, as both sides sprinted to try and outrun eachother. Barclay and Bessiéres both knew the latter couldn't afford a protracted battle, and both sides thusly strove to prevent it. However the going was tough both sides, as the rasputista (The mud caused by Autumn rain and spring thaws) was in full swing, fed by melting snow and thawing ground. Wagons and guns got stuck and were abandoned, horses broke their legs falling in the muck. Both sides trudged through it, until finally Bessiéres luck ran out.

Russian partisans had burned the bridge over the Oshmyanka river at the town Oshmyany (OTL modern day Ashmyany) in an attempt to stop the French. Bessiéres arrived on the 13th, and quickly drove out said partisans, getting his engineers to work rebuilding them. The Russians arrived at around 3pm, before they were completed. For two hours the French resisted artillery and relentless Cossack attacks, forming square among the farmhouses to keep them at bay. At 5pm the bridges were ready, and Grouchy and Poniatowski's V Corps crossed over. As Davout's Corps began to cross next, the French lines broke as Russian guard cavalry and infantry arrived (The Russian army had been strung out as it attempted to catch the smaller French army). Ney led his III Corps, amongst the fireband chaos rallying the men in the streets and attempting to organize them. However in the twilight and confusion around 8pm, a French Corporal mistook some French scouts for Cossacks, and detonated the gunpowder under the bridge, cutting off Ney and around 7,000 men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I find that Corporal, I swear to Christ Marshal Ney thought, rage filling him. A heavy wind was blowing both his mens powder and that of the Russians back in his face, making the red twilight even dimmer. "Goure!?" he shouted over the din of cannon fire and screams of the wounded "Any chance we can swim the river!?" His chief of staff shook his head with despair "No sir, that water is freezing and it's getting dark. Even if the men could survive we'd have no powder, and look!" Through the smoke and noise, Ney could here the bugles and see the guns limbering up "That fucking bastard is leaving us! How very fucking Christian of him!" He threw his telescope on the ground in rage "If I ever see that man again, I'll slap the fucking powder out of his hair!"

Just then, one of his aides rode up to him, a hussar with a white flag in tow "Agh Christ." He muttered under his breath "The hell do you want?" "Marshal Ney" the trooper said in awful French "His Majesty Tsar Alexander and General Barclay send their complements. You and your men have fought well today, and honor is satisfied. I beg you, surrender to his majesty now, and your wounded will receive our aid, and your men will be well treated." "Does he now?" Ney said with a sly grin, which just as quickly vanished "Tell your Tsar this. All the Russians and Cossacks in the world will not prevent me from rejoining the army. Now get out of here, before someone doesn't see that flag." The hussar, stunned, did as he was told. "Now then!" Ney called out "You want to live!?" He picked a musket up from a dead soldier near him "Grab a weapon and follow me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure enough, Ney rallied about 4,000 men, and led them on foot out of the town. With few options but to charge through the Russian lines, they did so, but were mown down. Still refusing to surrender, Ney formed square with the survivors and marched onward, looking for a crossing upriver. Stumbling through the dark, and with their musket flashes being the only light source, which often illuminated hordes of Cossacks surrounding them, Ney pressed on. That night, about eight miles upstream, the men found a ford shallow enough to cross without getting soaked. Despite his rearguard being down to just 300 men, Ney made contact with friendly cavalry at dawn, and managed to rejoin the army at about noon. It had come at terrible cost, but they escaped a situation where any other commander would've surrendered.

Ney was so furious at Bessiéres that when they reunited that day, they nearly came to blows. Nonetheless, Napoleon was so impressed when he heard the feat, that he exclaimed "What a soldier! The army is full of brave men, but Michel Ney is truely the bravest of the brave!" News of teh Marshals escape spread, and the men rejoiced happy in spite of the relentless, muddy marching. They army arrived in Vilnius four days later, where they received fresh food, ammunition, and 6,000 reinforcements. They couldn't stay long however, Barclay was right on his heels, and so he was forced to retreat back toward Warsaw.

The remnants of the army crossed the Niemen river back into Polish territory on the 23rd. According to legend, Marshal Ney was the last man across. Without a Corps to speak of, he was sent back to France to take charge of a new III Corps, still forming out of the new recruits. The invasion of Russia had been a disaster for Napoleon, one that had cost him half a million men, a quarter million horses, and over a thousand guns. In exchange the war was where it had been nearly a year before, and now the Russian bear had woken up. With Poland all but open to the enemy, and Napoleon's German allies wavering, the fate of Europe was about to be decided.

Really enjoying the story, with only one minor quibble: surely the Imperial headquarters would find someone who spoke good French to send to ask Ney to surrender.
To illustrate, at the start of the 1812 campaign one of the Russian army officers (not the Guards) had been killed by mistake by the Cossacks: he was riding with his friend near the a outposts line and they were conducting conversation in French. So, yes, they could find one…. 😂

To illustrate, at the start of the 1812 campaign one of the Russian army officers (not the Guards) had been killed by mistake by the Cossacks: he was riding with his friend near the a outposts line and they were conducting conversation in French. So, yes, they could find one…. 😂
Well keep in mind the scene was from the French perspective, and they're notorious for being protective of their language, that cavalryman may well have just pronounced an r wrong, but the French take that kind of thing personally 😏

Well keep in mind the scene was from the French perspective, and they're notorious for being protective of their language, that cavalryman may well have just pronounced an r wrong, but the French take that kind of thing personally 😏
You could also make the Russian envoy be the Cavalry General Uvarov who was notorious for his poor knowledge of French, but he might be too high ranking to send with a message.

One contemporary made the following comment about him:

"Uvarov was sometimes successful in attacks against the French on the field of battle, but his attacks against the French language were even more successful and murderous. It was a deadly hunt and the outcome was grim. When Napoleon asked Uvarov who commanded the Russian cavalry during a brilliant attack in some battle, Uvarov asnwered: "Je, sire."

You could also make the Russian envoy be the Cavalry General Uvarov who was notorious for his poor knowledge of French, but he might be too high ranking to send with a message.
Of course: you don’t send a corps commander for such a mission. Some aid-de-camp or staff officer would do. The only plausible exception, IMO, would be a direct confrontation of the two corps but, IIRC, in OTL Ney’s corps was confronted mostly by the infantry and artillery and after he made his “historic answer” and left with few hundreds followers the rest (6,000 or so) simply capitulated because an alternative was to be exterminated by the artillery fire: this was not considered a shameful thing because being suicidal was not soldier’s duty. Yermolov reported the last part in some details. Ney went across the forest without a road in expectation that the river is under ice and lost half of those following him. Of course, this was “heroic” but also absolutely pointless taking into an account that at least 90% of his troops did not follow him and that he lost half of those who did.
One contemporary made the following comment about him:

"Uvarov was sometimes successful in attacks against the French on the field of battle, but his attacks against the French language were even more successful and murderous. It was a deadly hunt and the outcome was grim. When Napoleon asked Uvarov who commanded the Russian cavalry during a brilliant attack in some battle, Uvarov asnwered: "Je, sire."
And this became his nickname.

Last edited: