A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

They got birthdays wrong for chirst's sake.
Hmmm… The only birthdays I’m capable of memorizing are my wife’s, my dog’s and my own so I may miss this specific problem. Unless they are wrong to a degree allowing appearance of Frederick the Great and/or Bismarck. 😂

How about something easier to identify? Like the weapons which could not be there? IIRC, in Kingdom of Heaven they had trebuchets few centuries ahead of the schedule so perhaps the tanks may be expected? 😜

Hmmm… The only birthdays I’m capable of memorizing are my wife’s, my dog’s and my own so I may miss this specific problem. Unless they are wrong to a degree allowing appearance of Frederick the Great and/or Bismarck. 😂

How about something easier to identify? Like the weapons which could not be there? IIRC, in Kingdom of Heaven they had trebuchets few centuries ahead of the schedule so perhaps the tanks may be expected? 😜
They completely cut out the 4th and 5th coalitions, Spain is never mentioned, nor any marshals.

How about something easier to identify?
IIRC, on the positive side the uniforma and especially the Russians ones, appear to be pretty accurate. While on the other hand as is showed/depicted the way that the British Army fought at Waterloo...

Last edited:
They completely cut out the 4th and 5th coalitions, Spain is never mentioned, nor any marshals.
Just read an article about inaccuracies in this movie. The list was surprisingly short (tells volumes about the author):
  • Nappy did not personally fired cannon at the pyramids.
  • His horse was not killed at the Battle of Toulon. Why would he ride a horse in it? IIRC, his role was limited to setting up the batteries.
  • A number of the Russian soldiers killed at Austerlitz as a result of the French firing at the ice is exaggerated. Well, comparing to the Marbot’s story about him swimming across the pond to save Russian soldier this may look as “super realism”. 😂
Skipping a couple of the coalitions and Spain is understandable: it is a well-know fact that they (and campaign of 1812, which was just an uninterrupted sequence of Napoleon’s victories) were absolutely unimportant comparing to the ultimate glory of the Battle of Waterloo, which the Brits won singlehandedly (at least reading Chandler’s book on Napoleon’s campaigns I got this impression). 😂😂😂

They got birthdays wrong for christ's sake.
I noticed this too when I saw this movie. I have a good friend who has the same birthday as Napoleon ( August 15 ) and it has long been a running joke between us. Whatever was said in the movie did not sound anything like “August” to me. It went by so quickly and it sounded like "February" to me but I won't know until I see the movie again or someone here can tell us.

The “Goofs” section at the Internet Movie Database ( www.imdb.com )for “Napoleon” had this explanation but it too is, at least, partially incorrect. In the French Revolutionary calendar, Napoleon’s birthday of August 15 would have been 28 Thermidor. Fructidor begins on August 18 or 19.
Internet Movie Database said:
“During Napoleon's marriage ceremony with Josephine in 1796, the notary reads out their birth dates using the Gregorian (modern) calendar. However, for 12 years after the 1793 revolution, France employed the French Revolutionary Calendar. According to this calendar, Napoleon's birth month would have been Fructidor, not August.”

Dresden, April 27, 1813​

The Saxon capital was bursting at the seams, as soldiers of the Grande Armée more than doubled its population overnight. Taverns were emptied out as teenage conscripts drank themselves silly after a grueling march, brothels closed as the staff were soon tired out. Most of the soldiers were at least quartered in barracks during their short stay in the Dresden, so at least the civilians weren't too bothered by their French and German guests. There had been troublemakers of course, but Napoleon had orders that they be treated no differently than had the crimes been committed against their fellow Frenchmen, Marshal Masséna even won the respect of the locals when he led the firing squad that shot four of his own men who'd been caught in a rape attempt. So even though the Saxons were somewhat nettled that their city was overcrowded, and that their native Saxon Corps was attached to the army's left wing over 100 miles to the North, but they tolerated it nonetheless.

Before an energetic crowd of soldier and civilian alike, their Emperor and protector gave an electric speech beside their King Frederick Augustus. He called out the disloyalty of their former ally Tsar Alexander, and promised a swift end to the war. Praising the conduct of the Saxon soldier, he worked the crowd into a fervor. Many were surprised with how coherent his German was, if a bit accented for the average city dweller to make out every word. Despite the chill of the late April evening, Napoleon had the people roaring. He left them by exclaiming loudly "Ich bin ein lieber Freund der Sachsen!" (I am a dear Friend of the Saxons)

With that complete, he and the Saxon king stepped off the palace balcony into one of the sitting rooms within. The king motioned for his attendants to leave him, and the two monarchs were alone "Frederick..." Napoleon said, bluntly, but with an air of sympathy as he continued to speak German "How many times have you been to Warsaw, Duke of Warsaw?" Frederick blinked, but replied "None, which you're well aware of. Get to it if you please." Napoleon nodded, as impressed by the king's business sense as he was annoyed by the show of disrespect. "I don't believe it's in the interest of the Polish people for you to remain their sovereign much longer."

Frederick chuckled at that "Nor the interest of the Saxon people. You know Bonaparte-" "Don't push it." "Your Majesty" he stood and walked to a window, outside which still stood thousands of his subjects, slowly filing back home "God made me Elector of Saxony, and I've tried to carry out my task ever since I was still a boy. You made me King, and I didn't see much reason for my task to change. I serve Saxony, just like all my soldiers do. What happens to Poland isn't really my concern, nor the concern of my people. All I do, I do for my people, you're the same, no?" Napoleon stood to meet the king, and smiled "I'm glad we understand eachother, once this war is over we'll make it official." The king nodded "I'll take my leave then, I promised the queen we'd have dinner. The room's all yours, I know you need to confer with the Marshals, good evening." They shared a bow, and the king left.

Within 10 minutes, all of the Corps commanders had arrived, and on the floor a large map of Central Europe was sprawed out. "Now, Berthier, give us the latest." "Yes, sire. Marshal Bessiéres and his two remaining Corps should've crossed the Neimen a few days ago, they're continuing to fall back on Białystok, and from there Warsaw." Napoleon interjected "Two Corps?" He shook his head "Too small, too small. What we'll do is this, I want Bessiéres back in charge of all cavalry, no offense Nansouty." The general shook his head, brushing it off. "Dabrowski is still near Warsaw yes, have Poniatowski take over, and organize the rest of the troops under Davout." "Yes, sire." Berthier complied, as his secretaries scribbled down the orders.

"It seems not all the Russians are heading Southwest, however. Reports say a large contingient may be resting in Vilnius, but these are very spotty reports indeed." The Emperor laughed "Resting? Resting? No, no, deploying more likely. Entering Prussia I'll bet, right in time for them to turncoat, we can't have it." He thought for a moment "Masséna." he motioned for him to come over "Take Marmont, Bertrand, and Lauriston, cover Danzig, and Königsberg if you can, don't let them deep into Prussia. Now go, go, go, All of you." The men bowed and began to exit "Oh and Masséna?" "Sire?" "Another cock up like Portugal, and you'll be out of eyes." "Yes sire."

Napoleon turned back to the map "The rest of us will confront the Tsar head on, if we move fast Warsaw won't fall. We should be expecting roughly equal numbers, yes?" "Uh?" Berthier threw his hands up "Very roughly, but that's almost impossible to tell. We'll be outdone in horsepower for sure." Napoleon frowned "That is a shot up the ass indeed. Either way, I'll pull something, you'll all see. This is going to be Friedland all over again." "Uh sire, what of X Corps? They need a commander." "Ah yes, we'll put Ney in charge once he gets here, he'll get a warm welcome after that stunt of his that's for sure." His face went grim "We'll need that sort of thing...".

oh really very interesting chapter, the dialogue between the king of Saxony and Napoleon is really well written, I like the possible development of Poland in the future ( if Napoleon survives the 6th coalition ), perhaps to strengthen his position it would not be appropriate to do some modification to the Confederation of the Rhine, ( after all there are still the approximately 16 minor states that joined it in 1808, including those in Thuringia which can be used to enlarge Saxony or perhaps unified together to create a new ally for Napoleon in the area ) trying to slow down the Russians for as long as possible beyond the Vistula can be difficult but useful in the short term, since it prevents them from quickly joining any Prussian or Austrian troops, we need to see what Great Britain will try ( obviously the his efforts are concentrated in the peninsula, but another attempt to open a secondary front in the Netherlands / Hanover cannot be ruled out as Otl tried in 1805 / 1809 )

oh really very interesting chapter, the dialogue between the king of Saxony and Napoleon is really well written, I like the possible development of Poland in the future ( if Napoleon survives the 6th coalition ), perhaps to strengthen his position it would not be appropriate to do some modification to the Confederation of the Rhine, ( after all there are still the approximately 16 minor states that joined it in 1808, including those in Thuringia which can be used to enlarge Saxony or perhaps unified together to create a new ally for Napoleon in the area ) trying to slow down the Russians for as long as possible beyond the Vistula can be difficult but useful in the short term, since it prevents them from quickly joining any Prussian or Austrian troops, we need to see what Great Britain will try ( obviously the his efforts are concentrated in the peninsula, but another attempt to open a secondary front in the Netherlands / Hanover cannot be ruled out as Otl tried in 1805 / 1809 )

still talking about the possible measures that Napoleon can take to gain time to catch his breath from the campaign in Russia, in addition to expanding Saxony, there would also be the possibility of expanding Jerome's kingdom of Westphalia to the detriment of the minor princes of Waldeck, Lippe and co, while the various Anahlt, Hohenzollern Swabians and Mecklenburg can be unified under a single branch ( it is a drastic solution but at least it strengthens the ties between the Empeuror and its German vassals and reduces possible defections to a minimum ), I would also like to know if the Grand Duchy of Berg is by any chance still controlled by Napoleon himself or no longer ?

finally, it must be considered that Napoleon can exploit the situation in the Balkans ( in particular the Serbian revolt ) to his advantage if he plays his cards well, given that having Dalmatia as an operational base and a large clientele network in Greece ( in addition to the ongoing support unofficial of the Ottomans ), can use this influence as a "weapon" to distract Russia and threaten / corrupt Austria, furthermore he has been playing with the idea of leading a campaign to liberate the Greeks since 1797 Otl ( like a modern Alexander the Great , finally he was sure that they would give him the same treatment as the Italians or Poles Otl ) and use them as a way to keep 4 powers in check at the same time, threatening the straits or their southern flank ( in order Great Britain, Ottomans, Austria and Russia ), certainly doing this can bring them more trouble than anything else, but we are talking about someone who did not have great problems from an operational point of view for his military campaigns ( since the movement of troops was constantly faster than supplies, or at least he didn't see it as anything too worrying ) and who was inclined to get caught up in the charm of big, impossible projects, but if used as a threat it can always have its effect, making its opponents hesitate for a moment

Last edited:
still talking about the possible measures that Napoleon can take to gain time to catch his breath from the campaign in Russia, in addition to expanding Saxony, there would also be the possibility of expanding Jerome's kingdom of Westphalia to the detriment of the minor princes of Waldeck, Lippe and co, while the various Anahlt, Hohenzollern Swabians and Mecklenburg can be unified under a single branch ( it is a drastic solution but at least it strengthens the ties between the Empeuror and its German vassals and reduces possible defections to a minimum ), I would also like to know if the Grand Duchy of Berg is by any chance still controlled by Napoleon himself or no longer ?

finally, it must be considered that Napoleon can exploit the situation in the Balkans ( in particular the Serbian revolt ) to his advantage if he plays his cards well, given that having Dalmatia as an operational base and a large clientele network in Greece ( in addition to the ongoing support unofficial of the Ottomans ), can use this influence as a "weapon" to distract Russia and threaten / corrupt Austria, furthermore he has been playing with the idea of leading a campaign to liberate the Greeks since 1797 Otl ( like a modern Alexander the Great , finally he was sure that they would give him the same treatment as the Italians or Poles Otl ) and use them as a way to keep 4 powers in check at the same time, threatening the straits or their southern flank ( in order Great Britain, Ottomans, Austria and Russia ), certainly doing this can bring them more trouble than anything else, but we are talking about someone who did not have great problems from an operational point of view for his military campaigns ( since the movement of troops was constantly faster than supplies, or at least he didn't see it as anything too worrying ) and who was inclined to get caught up in the charm of big, impossible projects, but if used as a threat it can always have its effect, making its opponents hesitate for a moment

finally it must be considered that for Napoleon ( and many other figures of the time ), the concept of nationality was conceived and idealized only for those peoples who had left an important trace in history, furthermore it was extremely probable that this concept was easily bent to political / strategic reasons, therefore considering a possible campaign in the Ottoman Balkans, the only "peoples" worthy of this name ( from the French point of view, it is also considering diplomacy and reason of state ) would be primarily the Greeks, a follow the Turks and finally the Romanians, this for the following reasons : the first because in the romantic imagination of Europe they are the descendants of Plato, Aristotle etc, furthermore if the French were to occupy their territory they would exploit this thought combined with ethnic religious thought of the place ( after all, the Ottomans for centuries considered the Orthodox peoples as Rumi / Rhomanoi, a vision that the Greek elite will push to be preserved, furthermore, it is not unlikely that France sees the neighboring Slavic ethnic groups as almost too close to the Russians, increasing support for pro-Hellenic ideas and the French will ride calmly ) then we obviously have the Turks who are the people at the head of a vast empire and at the moment friends of the French and sworn enemy of the Russians, so recognizing them as such is only a natural step, finally we have the Romanians / speakers of Balkan Romance languages, who for linguistic and geopolitical reasons they can be important regional players ( since they border two of Napoleon's adversaries ), certainly this reasoning can be extremely bent or put aside when political reason demands it, but in general I think that if Napoleon would have a chance to cosplay Alexander the Great for the umpteenth time, he would generally follow this reasoning, the same reasoning can be applied, with the right modifications in the Illyrian provinces, which Otl in 1821 / 1831 pushed Vienna to intervene to annex at least the north of Bosnia to the Empire ( which requires having a line of defense in the hinterland that does not separate the Dalmatia from the rest of the Habsburg possessions ) furthermore it was also requested to convince the Catholic population living in the Ottoman possessions to move to those areas, so as to facilitate Viennese / Croatian control in the territory

I apologize for the very long comments I made ( and possibly if I offended anyone )

Last edited:
Part 26- The Battle of Drohiczyn, part 1

Near Wegrow, Poland, May 17th, 1813​

"You're sure he's not crossing himself?" Napoleon asked as he looked over the freshly drawn map, hard to make out by candlelight. Marshal Berthier nodded "I'm certain sire, Davout's been camping on his side of the bug, he reports no enemy movement." "Odd. Odd odd..." Napoleon thought as he paced the room, racking his brain "Who's the closest to Davout?" "Uh... Reynier, he's only about 12 miles out from Davout." Napoleon nodded as he continued to pace the room "Good... very good. Tell him to march to Davout at once, as soon as he gets the order." "Yes sire." "Every other corps is to do the same at first light, who's the furthest?" "XIII Corps Ironically, they'll take about three days. The rest of the army can probably be there in two." "Alight, tell Duroc I want to be ready to ride out at four." Berthier looked at his pocket watch "That only gives you two hours sire." "Nothing more refreshing than a battle Berthier, something someone in your position would understand." Berthier nodded "It's certainly less entertaining from a desk sire. Anyway I'll get those orders sent out, rest well sire." "You certainly won't!" Napoleon joked back as climbed into his campaign bed

Meanwhile in Drohiczyn...​

"Sire I am telling you, let us build the boats, we can have two corps over by morning." General Barclay pleaded " "General.." Kutuzov stopped as he hacked into his handkerchief, pausing a moment in alarm at how much blood came up "Two corps would be sufficient to take Davout, I have complete agreement there. But He's done running, he's digging earthworks and trenches of his own. Bonaparte is coming, and soon, I'll bet by dawn. Two corps will be demolished." Barclay held a hand to his temple "Not if he isn't as close as you claim. If the emperor were coming, he'd be planning an attack, Davout wouldn't have burned his boats, they'd be felling more trees. He's likely still days away." "It's not worth the risk my friend." "And what good will sitting here-" "Enough." The tsar, who'd been sitting silently, finally said

"Start building some boats, if there's no sign of the French by an hour after dawn, we'll land downstream-" "Excuse me!" A messenger bowed at the entrence to the tent "French and German troops have been spotted along the far side of the Bug downstream, likely to arrive by mid morning!" "Thank you major." Alexander said "Tell the scouts to cross the river if possible, and try to estimate the size of these forces "Sire!" He bowed again and left the tent. "Well... cancel those boats gentlemen, mon cher Bonaparte is coming." "I think he's looking for a fight." Kutuzov said "I agree." Barclay said, almost shocked at saying it "He'll come over here and get it." Kutuzov nodded "Yes, he's not foolish enough to cross the Bug with a thousand guns staring at him, he'll cross a ways downstream."

"What shall we do gentlemen? Their own emperor asked "We let him come." Kutuzov said, Barclay picking up his thoughts "He'll either attack our center or try some flashy manuver on the flanks, and he has neither the numbers for the former nor the cavalry for the latter. He'll be had." The Tsar grinned "It's time to embarrass the French again..."

Battle mod 2.png

Last edited:
The Battle of Drohiczyn, part 2

Order of battle at Drohiczyn:​

Russia: Line of battle from north to south
Cossacks: Platov
III Cav Corps: Korff
II Corps: Tolstoy
III Corps: Baggovout
VI Corps: Tuchkov
VII Corps: Saint-Priest
VII Corps: Dohturov
V Cav Corps: Uvarov
603 guns: Loevernstern
In reserve: Russian Imperial Guard, GD Constantine
~170,000 men

France: Line of battle from north to south
I Cav Corps: Nansouty
IV Corps: Soult
X Corps: Ney
XI Corps: Augereau
IX Corps: Wrede
XII Corps: Reynier
II Cav Corps: Sułkowski
480 guns: Sorbier
III Corps: Davout, uncommitted on far bank of the Bug
XIII Corps: Dąbrowski, was not expected to arrive until the second day
Reserve: Imperial Guard, Mortier
~200,000 men

In the early morning hours of May 27th, The Grande Armée began to concentrate near Marshal Davout's position, only to find still no sign of a Russian crossing. Eight miles downstream from the Russian position, French engineers rapidly began constructing several pontoon bridges for the army to cross the Bug. By nightfall IV Corps had crossed the river, setting up a defensive position on the far bank. By early morning on the 28th the entire army was across, and Napoleon ordered his force to march on Drohiczyn.

The Russians hadn't been idle however. Their center had been reinforced with trenches, anti-cavalry stakes, and fortified batteries. On the flat fields of Poland, there was little expected manuvering or struggles for high ground. As the French army arrived on the field in the evening, small skirmishes broke out between cossacks and light infantry, but neither side made a serious effort to attack the other.

French HQ​

Napoleon was greatful for the nearly full moon as he scanned the Russian lines with his telescope. The sky was clear, and he could make out the tents of the soldiers and the improvised stables for their cavalry. "They've puffed out their flanks quite a bit" He commented to his generals who'd crowded around him "They could be preparing for an attack" Marshal Soult spoke out "Sire if that was the case they'd likely have attacked while we were getting into position." The emperor nodded "That's true that's true." He took a long, silent moment to ponder "Sorbier." The general stepped forward "I want three quarters of your guns on the Russian center. Get close, as close as you can bear, and give the impression you're clearing the way for an attack.

"Augereau, Wrede. You'll be playing the attackers in the little ruse. Protect the guns, and posture as if you're waiting for the guns to cease fire. Don't, and I cannot stress this enough, don't attack unless I say otherwise." "Yes sire!" Both men belted out in unison. "Ney. You'll be the hinge in the door for an echelon attack, to be carried out by Soult and Nansouty." "Sire." Soult again spoke "There's an ocean of cossacks on the flank, our own cavalry will be outnumbered three, maybe four to one." "I know that." The emperor said with a hint of irritation "I'll have the Poles send up a division or two of their horses from the right." The Marshal nodded, and the emperor turned to look at them all "Well? Off you go, you'll have you specific orders within the hour." The men all filed out without a word "Well Berthier, no sleep for you tonight!" The emperor joked, Berthier only replying with an exhausted expression...

Last edited:
Borodino 2.0 here we go! or maybe another Austerlitz if the Austrians decide they want to play as well.

I doubt that Austria still wants to participate, for now the Russian campaign has not been as excellent as Napoleon predicted but neither has the Otl cataclysm, furthermore their marriage to him temporarily protects them ( Oh by the way I hope that Napy has some happy moments in more with his little family, even reading some letters between Maria Luisa and him in the future, it would be really fantastic ) so as to allow Archduke Charles to calmly continue the much needed military reforms ( in addition to the economic and administrative ones ), for now it is likely that they will stay and see what happens, everything will depend on what the Russians do from now on, if we manage to keep pushing back the French again, then the Habsburgs are likely to think about it, in assisting them, if not, you happy Austria get married, leave the war to others, and wait how the situation of events will change

Last edited:
The Battle of Drohiczyn, part 3
On the morning of the 29th, a third of a million men had formed up about 3/4 of a mile apart. The Russian line was 400 yards west of the North road out of Drohiczyn, the abandoned village itself anchoring the left flank. Half an hour after dawn, the French opened a massive barrage of 350 guns on the Russian center. The Russians soon massed 400 guns of their own, and replied with their own brutal exchange. The Russians gradually opened a gap behind their guns, the regiments trying to avoid the hail of shot. The French merely took cover, keeping up the ruse that they were preparing an attack on the Russian center. The artillery duel would last nearly three hours, both sides taking significant losses.

Around 9am, Napoleon spotted cossacks massing behind the Russian guns, and sent word to Marshal Soult to begin his attack. It was supported by 60 guns, along with support from Ney and Nansouty's cavalry. General Baggovout, supported by Platov's cossacks and regular cavalry, rose to meet them. For the next two hours Soult was at his best, intricately manuvering his divisions forward into an equally sized Russian line. Baggovout committed what the Marshal himself called "The greatest two hours of soldiering I've seen in a foe." His men met every French advance with a fiercecounterattack, inflicting heavy casualties. By 11am, the French attack had stalled, the conscripts beginning to buckle.
_________

Napoleon watched the carnage from his headquarters, observing with alarm dozens of soldiers scrambling West. "Damn.." he muttered under his breath, he'd asked too much of these children. "We're going North! Have Oudinot and the young guard follow me!" He called out to his staff as he rode towards the fray. Several minutes later, as he rode among the rear of IV Corps, many of the teenage conscripts stopped their flight as they saw their emperor "Go back and we've got them!" he roared as his flashed his saber "You've got your emperor at your back, how can we fail!" All of them to a men turned back into the fight many screaming out "Long live the Emperor!"

_____

With renewed momentum, and the arrival of the young guard, Baggovout was forced back, though the arrival of jagers of the imperial guard allowed him to hold the road. By noon though it was clear he wasn't going to hold for much longer, though the Russian responce was bold. In the center, two corps and a guard division charged into the French center, the exhausted gun crews still inflicting great losses on the attackers. Augereau and Wrede's corps fought with courage, but were forced to yield ground. Russian hussars nearly overran the French batteries, while their own artillery poured fire into the enemy ranks. It seemed that Kutuzov and Alexander were about to smash the French center, as Napoleon considered his options
_______

"Send in the middle guard." Napoleon grimly called out to his aides, as he watched the chaos emerging before him. This was getting ugly, and he knew it. The enemy left was massing as well, his left was fully committed, he could hardly spare a brigade. He'd have to throw in the old guard if this didn't turn out. "Sire!" A familiar voice called out. Napoleon turned on his horse "Poniatowski?!" He said, puzzled "I thought you were with Davout what are you doing here?!" The general and his horse both looked one foot in the grave "Marshal Davout thought it best I inform you sire, Dąbrowski marched with fire under his ass. He'll be here within the hour." Napoleon permitted himself to smile a moment, before quickly turning to his staff again "Send a message to the Poles, tell them to come at once straight into the fight!" The Prince asked him "Permit me to take part sire?" Napoleon considered "Very well, don't kill yourself, today's not that day." Poniatowski nodded.

_____

The arrival of XIII Corps took place at the ideal moment around 2pm. The Russians were repulsed, and gradually forced back towards their start lines. At this critical time, Field Marshal Kutuzov, despite his increasingly poor health, rode foward to urge his men on, when he was hit by a cannonball, and killed instantly. Rather than be demoralized by the loss of their iconic commander, the Russian soldiers made a last determined charge, including butchering a Polish company that tried to surrender. But as Soult finally severed the northern road, the agreed upon signal to pull back, thearmy began a disciplined retreat to the east. French forces, bloodied and short on cavalry, did little to stop them.

The French had the field, and 30 captured guns, but had the worse of it in casualties. Whereas the French lost 25,000 men killed wounded or captured, the Russians only suffered 12,000 themselves. Having retreated in good order, Barclay was in good position to continue the campaign. A guest of his was keen to make note of it.

____

The Russian army's HQ was a somber sight, even the usually talkative tsar hardly spoke as they awaited the answer of their observer "My condolences to you, Kutuzov was a rare character indeed." "Thank you General Scharnhorst, is it sufficiant?" The Tsar asked tensely. "As we agreed, promise us continued support, and we're set." Alexander nodded "Very well, please let his majesty know." Scharnhorst bowed and stepped out. "Such is the toll." He said to nobody.

Last edited:
Interesting, the German war of Liberation seems like its about to begin, what with Prussia joining, Saxony better watch out. That also means, Austria better up its game if they want to keep Germany close.

Interesting, the German war of Liberation seems like its about to begin, what with Prussia joining, Saxony better watch out. That also means, Austria better up its game if they want to keep Germany close.

here this could be precisely the necessary push for Napoleon to understand that he must strengthen his position in Germany or at least that of his allies, in order to gain time and breath in the further preparation and insertion of the new recruits with the veterans of the Grande armée, maybe starting to find out what they think about this in Vienna would be a good idea, because otherwise there will be trouble for him, maybe it's time to "bribe" his father-in-law with some hypothetical prize

without forgetting that an allied campaign in Germany could also open things up in Italy, after all, Great Britain has been testing Murat's resistance in Naples since 1809, with continuous amphibious landings ( more or less successful ) in support of the Bourbon armies, it is even in Rome things can become incandescent, given that Otl Napoleon had decreed the "kidnapping" of the pope in this same year, to prevent him from becoming a possible coordination center of the coalition in Italy ( he been locked up in Savona, but fearing a hypothetical British rescue, Napy ordered it done the his immediate transport to Paris, Pius VII almost died Otl, Pius was able to return to Rome only in May of 1814 )

Last edited:
On the morning of the 29th, a third of a million men had formed up about 3/4 of a mile apart. The Russian line was 400 yards west of the North road out of Drohiczyn, the abandoned village itself anchoring the left flank. Half an hour after dawn, the French opened a massive barrage of 350 guns on the Russian center. The Russians soon massed 400 guns of their own, and replied with their own brutal exchange. The Russians gradually opened a gap behind their guns, the regiments trying to avoid the hail of shot. The French merely took cover, keeping up the ruse that they were preparing an attack on the Russian center. The artillery duel would last nearly three hours, both sides taking significant losses.

Around 9am, Napoleon spotted cossacks massing behind the Russian guns, and sent word to Marshal Soult to begin his attack. It was supported by 60 guns, along with support from Ney and Nansouty's cavalry. General Baggovout, supported by Platov's cossacks and regular cavalry, rose to meet them. For the next two hours Soult was at his best, intricately manuvering his divisions forward into an equally sized Russian line. Baggovout committed what the Marshal himself called "The greatest two hours of soldiering I've seen in a foe." His men met every French advance with a fiercecounterattack, inflicting heavy casualties. By 11am, the French attack had stalled, the conscripts beginning to buckle.
_________

Napoleon watched the carnage from his headquarters, observing with alarm dozens of soldiers scrambling West. "Damn.." he muttered under his breath, he'd asked too much of these children. "We're going North! Have Oudinot and the young guard follow me!" He called out to his staff as he rode towards the fray. Several minutes later, as he rode among the rear of IV Corps, many of the teenage conscripts stopped their flight as they saw their emperor "Go back and we've got them!" he roared as his flashed his saber "You've got your emperor at your back, how can we fail!" All of them to a men turned back into the fight many screaming out "Long live the Emperor!"

_____

With renewed momentum, and the arrival of the young guard, Baggovout was forced back, though the arrival of jagers of the imperial guard allowed him to hold the road. By noon though it was clear he wasn't going to hold for much longer, though the Russian responce was bold. In the center, two corps and a guard division charged into the French center, the exhausted gun crews still inflicting great losses on the attackers. Augereau and Wrede's corps fought with courage, but were forced to yield ground. Russian hussars nearly overran the French batteries, while their own artillery poured fire into the enemy ranks. It seemed that Kutuzov and Alexander were about to smash the French center, as Napoleon considered his options
_______

"Send in the middle guard." Napoleon grimly called out to his aides, as he watched the chaos emerging before him. This was getting ugly, and he knew it. The enemy left was massing as well, his left was fully committed, he could hardly spare a brigade. He'd have to throw in the old guard if this didn't turn out. "Sire!" A familiar voice called out. Napoleon turned on his horse "Poniatowski?!" He said, puzzled "I thought you were with Davout what are you doing here?!" The marshal and his horse both looked one foot in the grave "Marshal Davout thought it best I inform you sire, Dąbrowski marched with fire under his ass. He'll be here within the hour." Napoleon permitted himself to smile a moment, before quickly turning to his staff again "Send a message to the Poles, tell them to come at once straight into the fight!" The Prince asked him "Permit me to take part sire?" Napoleon considered "Very well, don't kill yourself, today's not that day." Poniatowski nodded.

_____

The arrival of XIII Corps took place at the ideal moment around 2pm. The Russians were repulsed, and gradually forced back towards their start lines. At this critical time, Field Marshal Kutuzov, despite his increasingly poor health, rode foward to urge his men on, when he was hit by a cannonball, and killed instantly. Rather than be demoralized by the loss of their iconic commander, the Russian soldiers made a last determined charge, including butchering a Polish company that tried to surrender. But as Soult finally severed the northern road, the agreed upon signal to pull back, thearmy began a disciplined retreat to the east. French forces, bloodied and short on cavalry, did little to stop them.

The French had the field, and 30 captured guns, but had the worse of it in casualties. Whereas the French lost 25,000 men killed wounded or captured, the Russians only suffered 12,000 themselves. Having retreated in good order, Barclay was in good position to continue the campaign. A guest of his was keen to make note of it.

____

The Russian army's HQ was a somber sight, even the usually talkative tsar hardly spoke as they awaited the answer of their observer "My condolences to you, Kutuzov was a rare character indeed." "Thank you General Scharnhorst, is it sufficiant?" The Tsar asked tensely. "As we agreed, promise us continued support, and we're set." Alexander nodded "Very well, please let his majesty know." Scharnhorst bowed and stepped out. "Such is the toll." He said to nobody.
Now you got me completely confused about the Russian chain of command:

Unless I missed something, Barclay is an army commander, Kutuzov is an oversight role as a member of the State Council (impersonating Arakcheev) and Alexander is there just because he is an emperor. But in a battle Alexander is, seemingly, playing a field commander, Kutuzov is doing what he is not supposed to do (his role would be a purely cabinet one) and was not doing even at Borodino (or any time during OTL 1812 campaign) and Barclay is not doing what he is supposed to do, commanding the troops in a battle.

So who is who in the Russian army? 😂

Now you got me completely confused about the Russian chain of command:

Unless I missed something, Barclay is an army commander, Kutuzov is an oversight role as a member of the State Council (impersonating Arakcheev) and Alexander is there just because he is an emperor. But in a battle Alexander is, seemingly, playing a field commander, Kutuzov is doing what he is not supposed to do (his role would be a purely cabinet one) and was not doing even at Borodino (or any time during OTL 1812 campaign) and Barclay is not doing what he is supposed to do, commanding the troops in a battle.

So who is who in the Russian army? 😂
Now you're getting it! The confusion is mostly intentional, the Russian command structure could not be more muddled than it was at this battle. Long story short, Barclay technically has command of this particular Russian army (And was probably right behind the Russian right overseeing things) Kutuzov should be hanging well behind the line, but he saw the way his health was going and probably thought being a martyr was better for the troops. And Alexander is of course Alexander.

He'd have to throw in the old guard if this didn't turn out. "Sire!" A familiar voice called out. Napoleon turned on his horse "Poniatowski?!" He said, puzzled "I thought you were with Davout what are you doing here?!" The marshal and his horse both looked one foot in the grave "Marshal Davout thought it best I inform you sire, Dąbrowski marched with fire under his ass. He'll be here within the hour." Napoleon permitted himself to smile a moment, before quickly turning to his staff again
Sorry, but when Poniatowski get position of Marshal? And, second, who else is Marshal of France? Someone like OTL or someone new? Is there list of new Marshals? If there is already answer, please give me some hints of it, because i can find this information.