A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

Sorry, but when Poniatowski get position of Marshal? And, second, who else is Marshal of France? Someone like OTL or someone new? Is there list of new Marshals? If there is already answer, please give me some hints of it, because i can find this information.
He didn't, he's still just a general, thanks for pointing out that error.

Now you're getting it! The confusion is mostly intentional, the Russian command structure could not be more muddled than it was at this battle. Long story short, Barclay technically has command of this particular Russian army (And was probably right behind the Russian right overseeing things) Kutuzov should be hanging well behind the line, but he saw the way his health was going and probably thought being a martyr was better for the troops. And Alexander is of course Alexander.
My point was that, neither Alexander nor Kutuzov being in charge, it was not up to them to “smash” anything. Usually, this is a prerogative of an army commander, if he is present at the field. Just a nitpicking. 😂

My point was that, neither Alexander nor Kutuzov being in charge, it was not up to them to “smash” anything. Usually, this is a prerogative of an army commander, if he is present at the field. Just a nitpicking. 😂
Very true, but try telling the tsar something is not up to him, and you'll probably disappear faster than his hairline.

Very true, but try telling the tsar something is not up to him, and you'll probably disappear faster than his hairline.
That could be true but, AFAIK, in OTL Alexander usually was not playing the field commander even if on some occasions he was prancing for a while close to a battle line: in the case of a victory the glory will be his anyway and in the case of a defeat the field commander would be a scapegoat. But this is your TL so Alexander is all yours. 😉

As a side note, this was a civilized XIX century and a person contradicting to a monarch would not necessarily disappear. 😜
Muraviev (not of Kars, yet) managed to defeat NI (who, unlike his brother did consider himself a general) and after the jubilee “replay” of Borodino when NI “demonstrated how this battle should be won” (in case you have doubts, by whole army launching a bayonet charge) told him that the rifles and cannons had been firing blanks and, what’s more important, Napoleon was absent on a battlefield. He did not disappear anywhere and was commanding Caucasus front during the CW.

Last edited:
Sorry, but when Poniatowski get position of Marshal? And, second, who else is Marshal of France? Someone like OTL or someone new? Is there list of new Marshals? If there is already answer, please give me some hints of it, because i can find this information.

OTL Poniatoski got the baton before Liepzig, and died shortly after. Did he get it earlier here?
I might be confusing timelines, wasn't Murat stripped of Marshal title for trying to commit light treason?

Sorry folks, been quite awhile. I honestly planned to shelve this one forever, but I just got home from the theater, and I'm am so angry at Ridley Scott that you can expect an update by this time next week.
What do you know, finally something good comes out of that film! This is a fascinating concept, where Napoleon still has to retreat from Russia but his army is not totally ruined. Here's hoping they can hold out. Given the Russians butchered a surrendering Polish force it seems horrible things are in store for Poland if Napoleon is pushed out of it.

Bit question is what the Prussians will do, with France still in the field. And how much is Karl Philipp von Wrede's loyalty to France going to hold out?

When I watched the film I was at first forgiving of some of the inaccuracies, figured glossing over details of the military timeline could be acceptable in pursuit of fitting the story into 2.5 hours. Problem was, there WAS NO good story. >:[

Letters to The Emperor

June 3rd, 1813​

"Sire.

I have failed to sufficiently explain myself to you. Yes, the navy has countless spare cannon, and yes, they would be of better use in Germany. But most of these guns are 24 pounds or more, they cannot be converted to field batteries. I've nonetheless been able to secure 200 guns to be converted to field use in Mainz, they'll arrive imminently. Additionally the 500 sailors and another marine regiment are marching out of Brest. I reviewed your request for information on the 'Repentant Englishman.' And he's agreed to meet with me. I'll inform you of any additional developments sire."

-Minister Decrés
________

"To His Majesty the Emperor Napoleon, it is with the greatest duty to my people that I declare war on France. You've overwritten the balance of power, and plunged Europe into decades of ghastly war. For the best interests of the people of Prussia, and all free Germans, your hegemony of Germany must end if there is to be peace. I beg you, Your Majesty, don't allow more young lives to perish in a pointless conflict."

-His Majesty King Frederick William of Prussia
______

"To my dear husband

It's been very busy at the Tuileries this week, all the ministers need my consultations and my approvals, I haven't worked this hard since I delivered our son! He misses you just as much as I do, he asks for you often. You have no need to worry about the new recruits who've taken my name, they're such delightful boys! They can't wait to serve their emperor. Still though, many of my friends say there are some ill words being spoken of you in private, I beg you to win this war quicky.

-Your Wife, Marie-Louise"
_____

"To His Majesty the Emperor

Sire, as I told you, I can accept neither the Polish crown, nor your baton. Poland is being overrun, and while I understand why, making me a king or a marshal now will be an insult to all the Pole serving Your Majesty. Please understand that with all due respect, I wish to speak no more of this matter.

-Your loyal GENERAL Poniatowski

Last edited:
Those vile backstabbing Prussian junkers, questing to grind Europe under their aristocratic heels!

This is a pivotal moment in the war. Napoleon has an army on Prussia's flanks and if he can use it in a pincer with French conscripts advancing from the west, he may be able to mangle Prussia's forces in a way he couldn't OTL due to his lack of cavalry. But if not... Boney is gonna have a very bad time.

Those vile backstabbing Prussian junkers, questing to grind Europe under their aristocratic heels!

This is a pivotal moment in the war. Napoleon has an army on Prussia's flanks and if he can use it in a pincer with French conscripts advancing from the west, he may be able to mangle Prussia's forces in a way he couldn't OTL due to his lack of cavalry. But if not... Boney is gonna have a very bad time.
You and @alexmilman have always been like a much nicer and informative Statler and Waldorf on my posts and I gotta say I just love it!

June 3rd, 1813​

"Sire.

I have failed to sufficiently explain myself to you. Yes, the navy has countless spare cannon, and yes, they would be of better use in Germany. But most of these guns are 24 pounds or more, they cannot be converted to field batteries. I've nonetheless been able to secure 200 guns to be converted to field use in Mainz, they'll arrive imminently. Additionally the 500 sailors and another marine regiment are marching out of Brest. I reviewed your request for information on the 'Repentant Englishman.' And he's agreed to meet with me. I'll inform you of any additional developments sire."

-Minister Decrés
________

"To His Majesty the Emperor Napoleon, it is with the greatest duty to my people that I declare war on France. You've overwritten the balance of power, and plunged Europe into decades of ghastly war. For the best interests of the people of Prussia, and all free Germans, your hegemony of Germany must end if there is to be peace. I beg you, Your Majesty, don't allow more young lives to perish in a pointless conflict."

-His Majesty King Frederick William of Prussia
______

"To my dear husband

It's been very busy at the Tuileries this week, all the ministers need my consultations and my approvals, I haven't worked this hard since I delivered our son! He misses you just as much as I do, he asks for you often. You have no need to worry about the new recruits who've taken my name, they're such delightful boys! They can't wait to serve their emperor. Still though, many of my friends say there are some ill words being spoken of you in private, I beg you to win this war quicky.

-Your Wife, Marie-Louise"
_____

"To His Majesty the Emperor

Sire, as I told you, I can accept neither the Polish frown, nor your baton. Poland is being overrun, and while I understand why, making me a king or a marshal now will be an insult to all the Pole serving Your Majesty. Please understand that with all due respect, I wish to speak no more of this matter.

-Your loyal GENERAL Poniatowski

Wow, congratulations, these letters sent to the emperor, in their simplicity are truly fantastic, because they give us an image in a few lines of what is happening, Poniatowski's part and the situation in Poland are very interesting, even what happens in Paris is really good written (I feel a little pity for the very young recruits who have been gathered, I fear that they will go to the massacre, as well as for the poor marines who from fighting on ship have to adapt quickly and prepare for war on land, even if I have to say that Otl Napoleon around 1814 was having many ships built at the same time in every port of the empire, so that the RN could not hit them all, which if completed would have outnumbered the English fleet by 3 to 1, certainly the experience of the crews, but never say never..... ) ah dear sweet Prussia always ready to bother you, I hope you suffer a second Jena

I have questions:
1. Did Emperor have some plans for campaign in Poland?
2. What are his future, and actual, political plans for Europe, after this war?

Part 27- Holding a Grudge
Mere days after Napoleon's bloody victory over the Russians at Drohiczyn, he received most unwelcome news, his reluctant ally, the Kingdom of Prussia had declared war on France. General Scharnhorst, who'd been been observing the battle, was sufficiently satisfied with the Russian's performance, rode a breakneck speed back to Berlin to inform his king. Frederick William III rather reluctantly made the official declaration of war in early June. Almost immediately, a massive portion of the Prussian army was tied down, due to the need to contain around 50,000 French and allied soldiers in the various fortresses of Prussia. In particular, General Rapp's newly designated XIV Corps in Danzig was well prepared for a long siege, even as Russian units moved to assist the Prussians, and the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin defected from Napoleon's Condederation of the Rhine.

Nonetheless despite having just two corps, about 30,000 men available in the field, General Blucher intended to aggressively march to the aid of Benningsen, who with around 60,000 men was facing a similar sized French force led by Marshal Masséna. Ten miles South of Stettin, Masséna had fallen on Bennigsen just as he'd crossed the Oder, their forces meeting on the 8th of June. At first the French had the better of it, Bennigsen was forced to pull his men into a tight defensive perimeter to defend his river crossing, hoping to hold out until nightfall. Masséna kept up an intricate and well planned assault, inflicting heavy losses on the Russians.

From a small rise behind the battlefield, Masséna observed the struggle between his own forces and the Russians. Marmont was pushing hard, urging his men into the fight. "Tell Marmont to get his horse artillery up front." He said to his chief of staff "I want Bertrand to launch a full assault in half an hour." An aide-de-camp suddenly caught the marshals eye, he looked spooked "Sir!" He saluted "It's the Prussians, they're right on top us!" "Shit..." Masséna muttered under his breath "How many, and how far?" "At least a full corps sir, probably more. They can't be more than two, three miles at most.

The marshal grunted in frustration, this was exactly what he'd feared. "Alright, alright, how long until sunset?" His chief of staff looked at his pocket watch "Should be two more hours sir." "Alright, I can work with that. New orders, all three corps are to begin retreating South. Once Marmont is to the South of the Russian I'll coordinate the rearguard with him. This is going to be bloody."
________

Despite the surprise of Bluchers attack, achieved in large part due to the French lack of cavalry to scout ahead, Masséna reacted quicky. While Bertrand and Lauriston's corps immediately marched to the south, Marmont's II Corps rapidly set up a defensive position. Bennigsen, not realizing how close Blucher's forces had come, was slow to organize a counterattack. While Blucher did launch a cavalry charge supported by infantry against Marmont, Masséna carefully coordinated a responce, and despite high casualties the French were able hold out until nightfall.

Despite the battle ending in a French defeat, Masséna's army was intact, and inflicted 12,000 Russian and Prussian casualties to just 8,000 of his own. As the retreat south to cover Dresden began, Napoleon and the main body of his army found themselves in an awkward position in Poland. Despite achieving victory against the Russians, and killing their top general, the race was on to escape Poland before they were trapped there. The French passed through Warsaw on the 8th of June, the Russians occupying the city two days later. Despite orders to behave, many Russian soldiers, Cossacks in particular, partook in looting, raping, and even murder. The officers were eventually able to resotore order, but not before almost 100 Polish civilians were murdered in the chaos. The war of the Sixth Coalition, had officially begun...

A rough start for the Coalition. But even if their casualties are bad, pushing the French from the field allows their armies to link up into more dangerous forces. Can Napoleon head straight for Berlin from Poland?

Part 28- In a Pickle

Near Łódź, June 15th, 1813​

It was another rare day in the Grande Armée, The Emperor was seeking council, and his marshals were summoned. "Desertions have been climbing." Marshal Berthier dryly read a report "Although oddly it seems more French and Germans are deserting, not Poles." "We're still fighting for Poland, Marshal Berthier." Poniatowski said sternly "Have no doubt of it.". Berthier read on "Many of the new recruits are finding the marches extremely taxing." Marshal Soult scoffed at that "And diseases are all increasing." "Enough." Napoleon finally spoke "Enough, enough. I appreciate all that you say."

"This is not a good position, if Austria betrays me we could lose another army. What would you have me do?" Marshal Davout stood "We pull back to the Rhine and consolidate, fortify." "Am I to give up all I posses in Germany?" Napoleon fumed "You ran from Smolensk to here, and you'd like to keep going Davout?" The Marshal didn't speak, but kept his eyes on Napoleon. "We could hold the line at Dresden" Soult spoke up "And try to keep the two enemy army's pryed apart." "Much better!" Napoleon's face shot up.

"Yes, yes! If we can hold at Dresden, and beat the Prussians in the North, we can knock them out again, Jena all over again. Yes, alright. Reynier, Augereau, go North. Tell Masséna he's to take Berlin at all costs, then to link up with Rapp." The men nodded "Go, go now, he'll need you three days ago." Both generals left without another word. "Are we due any reinforcements?" he asked Berthier "Saint Cyr and I Corps should be leaving Mainz by now." He pulled out yet more reports "MacDonald and XV Corps are about two weeks behind him, besides that we can probably scrape up a few divisions of Germans." "Good, good. I want both of them in reserve at Dresden, just in case the king decides to throw open the gates. And send a message to the Tsar, ask if he'll agree to a prisoner swap with the Mecklenburgers, I don't want to have to feed them all the way to Germany." He referred to the 2,000 soldiers in his army who'd been made enemies with a single letter.

"Very good sire." Berthier said wearily, as Napoleon turned to the rest of his silent marshals "Well? Don't you all have more important things to do than stare at me? Get lost, I have things to do." The men quickly filed out. Alone with Berthier, the emperor relaxed slightly, letting out a sigh "My eagles are again victorious, but my star is setting." "Indeed sire." Berthier didn't look up from whatever he was writing "We're loosing something like 15,000 men a month from pure attrition, these kids aren't ready for a long campaign." "We need a victory, a good one, and soon."

Last edited:
The army sure is creaking with inexperienced conscripts. And this is WITH nappy having a few tens of thousands survivors on him after escaping Russia, it must have been even worse OTL. A knife's edge indeed. But would Napoleon really be humble enough to recognize that his "star is setting"?

The army sure is creaking with inexperienced conscripts. And this is WITH nappy having a few tens of thousands survivors on him after escaping Russia, it must have been even worse OTL. A knife's edge indeed. But would Napoleon really be humble enough to recognize that his "star is setting"?
That was a real quote by him, so apparently.

This Napoleon has at least battlefield victories, which might make it a bit more palatable to sue for peace/bide time. Especially if he can knock Prussia out this time.

Part 29- Innovations of the New World

Hôtel de la Marine, June 20th, 1813​

Minister of the Navy Denis Decrès sat in his office, perusing his way through documents and orders. There wasn't much to do these days, the Royal Navy had most of the fleet taking in the scenery at their harbors. Most of his orders and assignments revolved around transferring personel to Germany, Where Napoleon had better use of them. He opened one report from an admiral, asking for his lead supply not to be cut, a futile effort to avoid the above problem once again. Ringing a bell for a servent to bring him a fresh coffee, one he desperately needed. The servant arrived "Yes sir." he replied to the order "And a Mr. David Bushnell is waiting to see you." A twinge of curious anticipation came over the minister "Send him in, send him in."

An elderly man strode rather unhurriedly into his office, walking cane in hand "Secretary Decrès!" He called out in fluent if rusty French "I'm so glad I was able to respond to your request!" Decrès smiled "His Majesty's request actually." "And the Emperor is a busy man indeed! What could be so important?" The minister shook Bushnell's hand "You do remmber of course Turtle, that wonderful little submersible boat of yours?" "Ah yes!" Bushnell felt nostalgic "Tried to throw the redcoats out of New York I did." "And as far as it seems all you destroyed was a rowboat and some children." Bushnell shrugged "Not every invention works straight away." The minister raised an eyebrow "Well, we'd like to help you get back to work, how would you like to help us beat the redcoats once again?"

Bushnell let out a chuckle and took a seat "That's one flattering offer, but to be honest if you're looking for someone to build a submersible, you want Mr. Robert Fulton." "Yes, the steamboat captain. He did some work for us in the past, but it seems he's fallen back on his old habits, he's also done some work for the royal navy." Bushnell nodded "I see, so what do you want me to build? And please be more specific than 'Something to defeat the Royal Navy'." Decrès sighed "Fair enough. In Spain they've been making chaos behind our lines. Their frigates pull into ting harbours and drop supplies for the guerillas, then dissappear before we can respond." Bushnell nodded "So you want something that can intercept them... that will be tricky."

The American stood as ideas began flowing "It could never be fast enough to catch a frigate, so it would need a mothership, a sloop or something similar." The minister nodded "We could arrange that." Bushnell held up a hand "First let's discuss terms." Decrès rolled his eyes "You really are American. You'd get a salary if 50,000 Francs a year, and an additional budget of 70,000 for development." Bushnell nodded eagerly "I'll also need two dozen sailors, preferably the crafty types, carpenters and such." "That's no problem, I'll have the best I can find selected." "I'd also like to be aquainted with some of your nation's balloonists." "Balloonists?" Decrès asked baffled "Whatever for?" "Buoyancy my friend, whether in air or water, it's the same principal. And if we're operating further out to sea, I think you'll understand it's imperative we don't sink like a stone." The minister nodded "Very well Mr. Bushnell, we have a deal, I'll make arrangements for you to stay in Paris, and you'll have a space to begin development immediately." "Splendid!" He replied "I assure you and the Emperor, good things will come from this!"...