A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

Part 6-Withdrawal
The day after the battle of Bordino, the Grande Armée collected its tens of thousands of wounded men, and began its withdrawl. Kutuzov's forces were just as shattered, and he was content to let the French go. Even Platov and the Cossacks held back due to losses, so despite the wagon train of wounded slowing them down, the army had an uneventful march back to Smolensk, arriving on the 20th of September. Marshal Murat and Eugéne left the army, as they planned to raise fresh troops from Italy to bolster Napoleon.

Smolensk was a massive supply depot, and allowed the famished conscripts of Napoleon's army to rest and eat, after months of constant marching. Many of the barracks and city buildings had been razed by the retreating Russians, and so many soldiers were quartered in the houses of the city itself. Napoleon left the cavalry and Mortier's Italians outside the city, to guard against the Cossacks. He also ordered all remaining civilians to leave the city, both to save supplies, and to hopefully tie up more Russian resources.

The army was still short on many supplies, including critically a shortage of medical care. Thousands of wounded men died in Smolensk, some surgeons even euthanizing the mortally wounded to save medicine. Discipline began to break down, as teenage soldiers found themselves living in the former mansions of dukes. Looting was rampent, as traumatized and exhausted soldiers had little else to do. There was another problem, by the start of October, the army had barely 85,000 men who could fight, about even with Kutozov. While Victor's IX Corps had added another 40,000, Admiral Chicagov was moving Northwest with 65,000 men, driving back Schwartzenberg and Reynier. Near Polotsk, Wittgenstein and 40,000 men outnumbered St Cyr and Oudinot two to one, and threatened to advance on Smolensk.

While the halting of the offensive and freeing up of ten thousand cavalry had somewhat helped the supply situation, Cossacks continued to clash with French wagon columns, while fatigue and starvation decimated the horses. Napoleon expected the Russians to be too depleted and disorganized to try and attack before winter, and for the first several weeks this seemed to be the case. But Kutuzov was biding his time, he planned to wait for his own army to recover somewhat, and then chase the French out as winter hit in force.

The remainder of September was quiet, and Napoleon settled in for the winter. His first winter clothes arrived, but he was shocked at how inadequate they were. As the campaign was expected to be over by now, none had been prepared. Augereau had tried to compensate by taking donations from Berlin (By lying and claiming they were going to the Prussian soldiers) but these cloaks and scarves weren't designed for a Russian winter, and so many soldiers once again turned to plunder.

Nobody knew it, but an entire Cossack division was swarming just outside Smolensk. Foraging parties had to number in the hundreds to be safe, and even then every day dozens went missing. The news got worse as October progressed. St Cyr was forced to abandon Polotsk, as Kutuzov gradually advanced on Smolensk. The situation was bad enough, Napoleon also got word from Paris. Rumors were swirling that Austriaband Prussia planned to rebel against him, and leave him trapped in Russia. There was little he could do, except have Augereau bolster the garrisons in Prussia. With his position increasingly unsteady, Napoleon got yet more worse news, that would force him to make a hard call...

But what could he have done? He made his opinions known, but it's not as though Alexander would have listened, even had Kutuzov been more forceful.
Actually, we don’t know that. Alexander was, of course, an a—hole but he completely lacked any experience and was not a complete fool so there is a chance that he would listen to a strongly put opinion, like he did in 1812 regarding the Drissa camp. At least we would know that Kutuzov did try, but he did not. And at Austerlitz he was seemingly completely detached from what’s proposed and then what’s going on.

He could have resigned of course, but that would not have changed anything either. Mikaberidze cites General Langeron: "When [Kutuzov] asked to be involved in the planning, the Emperor bluntly told him, "That is none of your business."

A person with self-respect would offer his resignation. Anyway, neither at Austerlitz nor at Borodino he was a meaningful active commander.
I do appreciate that I am basing my views on one work, but at least I can say that Mikaberidze is neither a Stalinist-Burn-Down-London-Patriot nor a Tolstoy-ist (Tolstoyean?)

😂
I do agree with you that Kutuzov's treatment of Barclay was very shabby and damages his reputation substantially. Barclay strikes me as the right man at the wrong time.
You happily avoided quoting Tolstoy to end up with Pushkin. 🤗

If he had the confidence of the officer corps and society in 1812, I think he would have done at least as well as Kutuzov and probably better,

This was not too difficult because the only thing that Kutuzov did was trying to avoid any serious confrontation with the French. I’d assume that Barclay would at least try to arrange a better logistics.

and I am sure he would have done better than Wittgenstein in 1813.
This became obvious to everybody including Wittgenstein himself. 😉

Part 7-Decisions, Decisions

Smolensk, October 6th, 1812​

"Berthier!!" The marshal was flung out of the first sleep he'd managed in two days, as the emperor stormed into his tent "Shit! Son of a Whore!!" That miserable fucking rat!" "Hmm?" Yawned Berthier, still trying to shake off his sleep. "'General' Malet tried to overthrow me! The balls!" "What? How?" "That idiotu told everyone I took a cannonball at Borodino, and bled out. And they believed that Bethier! They believed that!" "Well what's happening now?" Napoleon finally stopped to compose himself, he had to think.

"Well...it sounds like he's either dead, or bound to be, this all happened 18 days ago. But still...If the people believed that I was dead, I have a problem. I need to get back to Paris, need to reassure the people." Napoleon's mind began to race again, so many problems, all so far apart, and he was just one man. "Maybe it's for the best, I'll make sure the new troops are being raised, give the Rhine a kick in the ass to do the same." His eyes widened "But who do I leave in charge? Who?!" "Not to worry sire" Berthier soothed him "We'll sort this out."

Moments later, and Napoleon rapidly paced his chief of staff's desk "Poniatowski's out, I'm not trusting my army to a Pole." He needed someone who could manage a large force without direct orders from him "Not you" Napoleon chuckled "Not making that mistake twice" "Thank you sire" Berthier said ernestly "Ney?" "Maybe, he's not terrible, but he hasn't been given any large commands" "Bessiéres? He did well enough on his own in Spain" "That's true that's true. The troops like him, he'll be listened to. Mortier is just a hammer, he can't stand on his own. Lefebvre's too old, yes, yes we'll go with him."

"Very good sire." Said Berthier as he scrawled out something official sounding "When do you plan to depart?" "Hmm... Three days, get my cavalry to follow me out, the rest of the guard will stay." "Yes sire, and me?" "I'll keep you in you position, I'll manage in Paris alone." "Very good sire."

Meanwhile in Vyazma:​

"I'm telling you" General Barclay said as forcefully as he dared "Now is the time to surround them." He wasn't used to being the agressive one, Bagration had always been the one wanting to charge into the fray. But if Barclay was a coward then who knows what Kutuzov was "No general" he said plainly "Our army is too exhausted to confront them now, we need to wait another month at least." "There is no need." Barclay said, letting his frustration shine through "Chichagov and Wittgenstein can ensure we outnumber him two to one, at least."

"And as I made clear to you before Your excellency" Kutuzov brushed him aside "There is no need to confront him now. Winter will come for him, and than he'll have to run across open country in the cold. If Chichagov can't handle him then it's not my problem." Kutuzov saw a lot of angry generals, and backtracked slightly "But tell me general, you have an alternative?" "Yes" he stepped over to a large map of Russia. Barclay was already sick to death of his new superior, and missed his former critic dearly.

"We advance at once, and besiege Smolensk. We force him to fight on our terms, and either way he ends the day depleted and exhausted. The bonus is though, he has nowhere to run. We trap him or kill him, and the war is ours." "Blah!" spat Kutuzov "Far too risky. I think the late Bagration had some influence on you, too eager to kill our troops." Barclay silenced himself, but only barely...

Last edited:

Smolensk, October 6th, 1812​

"Berthier!!" The marshal was flung out of the first sleep he'd managed in two days, as the emperor stormed into his tent "Shit! Son of a Whore!!" That miserable fucking rat!" "Hmm?" Yawned Berthier, still trying to shake off his sleep. "'General' Malet tried to overthrow me! The balls!" "What? How?" "That idiotu told everyone I took a cannonball at Borodino, and bled out. And they believed that Bethier! They believed that!" "Well what's happening now?" Napoleon finally stopped to compose himself, he had to think.

"Well...it sounds like he's either dead, or bound to be, this all happened 18 days ago. But still...If the people believed that I was dead, I have a problem. I need to get back to Paris, need to reassure the people." Napoleon's mind began to race again, so many problems, all so far apart, and he was just one man. "Maybe it's for the best, I'll make sure the new troops are being raised, give the Rhine a kick in the ass to do the same." His eyes widened "But who do I leave in charge? Who?!" "Not to worry sire" Berthier soothed him "We'll sort this out."

Moments later, and Napoleon rapidly paced his chief of staff's desk "Poniatowski's out, I'm not trusting my army to a Pole." He needed someone who could manage a large force without direct orders from him "Not you" Napoleon chuckled "Not making that mistake twice" "Thank you sire" Berthier said ernestly "Ney?" "Maybe, he's not terrible, but he hasn't been given any large commands" "Bessiéres? He did well enough on his own in Spain" "That's true that's true. The troops like him, he'll be listened to. Mortier is just a hammer, he can't stand on his own. Lefebvre's too old, yes, yes we'll go with him."

"Very good sire." Said Berthier as he scrawled out something official sounding "When do you plan to depart?" "Hmm... Three days, get my cavalry to follow me out, the rest of the guard will stay." "Yes sire, and me?" "I'll keep you in you position, I'll manage in Paris alone." "Very good sire."

Meanwhile in Vyazma:​

"I'm telling you" General Barclay said as forcefully as he dared "Now is the time to surround them." He wasn't used to being the agressive one, Bagration had always been the one wanting to charge into the fray. But if Barclay was a coward then who knows what Kutuzov was "No general" he said plainly "Our army is too exhausted to confront them now, we need to wait another month at least." "There is no need." Barclay said, letting his frustration shine through "Chichagov and Wittgenstein can ensure we outnumber him two to one, at least."

"And as I made clear to you before Barclay" Kutuzov brushed him aside "There is no need to confront him now. Winter will come for him, and than he'll have to run across open country in the cold. If Chichagov can't handle him then it's not my problem." Kutuzov saw a lot of angry generals, and backtracked slightly "But tell me general, you have an alternative?" "Yes" he stepped over to a large map of Russia. Barclay was already sick to death of his new superior, and missed his former critic dearly.

"We advance at once, and besiege Smolensk. We force him to fight on our terms, and either way he ends the day depleted and exhausted. The bonus is though, he has nowhere to run. We trap him or kill him, and the war is ours." "Blah!" spat Kutuzov "Far too risky. I think the late Bagration had some influence on you, too eager to kill our troops." Barclay silenced himself, but only barely...
Nappy is not even considering Davout as his replacement. Or Murat whom he left in charge of … whatever was still there. It clear why not Murat but why not Davout? Before Krasnoye he did not have any stigma attached to him besides his foul temper.

I liked yours “if Barclay was a coward”. At Borodino he had six horses killed under him. 😉

Nappy is not even considering Davout as his replacement. Or Murat whom he left in charge of … whatever was still there. It clear why not Murat but why not Davout? Before Krasnoye he did not have any stigma attached to him besides his foul temper.

I liked yours “if Barclay was a coward”. At Borodino he had six horses killed under him. 😉
Murat went back to Naples to raise more troops, as for Davout, my views on Napoleon and others aew coming into play. Personally I don't think Napoleon trusted Davout, ironically because of how useful he was on his own. And yeah Barclay is no slouch, but I imagine his scorched earth policy resulted in accusations of cowardice.

Murat went back to Naples to raise more troops, as for Davout, my views on Napoleon and others aew coming into play. Personally I don't think Napoleon trusted Davout, ironically because of how useful he was on his own.
You mean him developing his own ambitions? I don’t like Davout (being Bernadotte’s fan 😂) but IMO Davout hardly could make it into an independent political figure being too obnoxious to create his own political clout. OTOH, your logic is valid: at that point Nappy could be wary of the excessively capable people.
And yeah Barclay is no slouch, but I imagine his scorched earth policy resulted in accusations of cowardice.
AFAIK, the scorched earth policy never was implemented and there was actually no need in anything of the kind: 150-200,000 troops retreating by a single road would exhaust the wells and do a lot of other damage just by the fact of their passage through the area and then the advance columns of the French had been pretty much completing the work. According to Tolstoy (rather questionable source) it was Kutuzov who allowed looting.

Most of the cowardice accusations were coming from Bagration-Constantine clique, which demanded a battle no matter what. Bagration was boasting to Arakcheev (IIRC) that with 30,000 troops he would defeat Napoleon on his own and that only Barclay’s order prevents him from doing so. As a side note, if anything, his army was too fast in retreat from Smolensk thus endangering the 1st Army and further along the road he sided with Barclay in rejecting position proposed by Karl Tol. So, unlike Constantine, there was a reasonable limit to practical application of his insanity.😉

Part 8-Closing in
Napoleon left his army on October 9th, taking his bodyguard and a few of his aides. The journey itself was at breakneck pace, first as spirt across the Russian countryside on starving horses. Napoleon had tried to disguise himself as a cavalry captain, but his unit was known to the Cossacks, who often fought intensely with the French. Napoleon himself had to lead the men out of Russia, which they accomplished in just 8 days, losing 30% of the men, and 900 horses. A week later he arrived in Paris to crowds of cheering civilians, many tearful with joy at proof of the emperor's survival.

After first disclosing the true losses in Russia to his ministers, Napoleon finally let the public learn as well. Rather then let the people be shocked into fear at these losses, their emperor stoked it into firey rage. He gave speeches denouncing Tsar Alexander and the Russians, and promised them revenge. With his public support reassured, he turned his attention to rebuilding the army. He found that Empress Marie-Louise had indeed passed his conscription laws, with 100,000 men already mobilized and training. He planned to add another 100,000 to that, but these wouldn't be conscripts.

30,000 men were swept out of Spain, while 15,000 marines were taken off their blockaded ships for field service. More than 50,000 men if the National Guard were transferred to the army, with Marshal Moncey raising more. Throughout Central Europe the emperor's vassels and clients did the same. The confederation of the Rhine was ordered to give him 200,000 men by spring, while Poland called up 80,000. Eugéne and Murat were able to promise another 70,000, but both were hanpered, Eugéne by lack of funds, and Murat by a seeming lack of urgency. Whatever the case Napoleon planned to build up a massive force, and essentially try to meet the Russians in battle again, wherever that may be.

The French position in Smolensk meanwhile, was precarious. Marshal Bessiéres had never commanded a full army before, and struggled to manage it. Saint Cyr and Oudinot, reinforced by Victor, were able to halt Wittgenstein at Polotsk. To the South, Schwarzenberg and Reynier defeated General Osten-Sacken, but were unable to prevent Chichagov advancing on Minsk. Just weeks into his new position, and Bessiéres faced his first calamity. With Kutuzov to the East, Wittgenstein to the North, and Sacken to the South, he would have to hold off all three armies.

The marshal reacted swiftly, leaving I Corps and the imperial guard as the garrison of Smolensk, he personally led most the cavalry (Now led by Grouchy, and reorganized into two corps) Ney's III Corps, and Poniatowski's Poles against Sacken. In the meantime, Junot's Westphalians and Mortiers Italians feign an advance East, hoping to delay Kutuzov. By now though, the temperature was beginning to drop, and the cold would soon hinder movements on both sides. Everyone was in a race of time, to beat the enemy before General Winter defeated all...

Napoleon left his army on October 9th, taking his bodyguard and a few of his aides. The journey itself was at breakneck pace, first as spirt across the Russian countryside on starving horses. Napoleon had tried to disguise himself as a cavalry captain, but his unit was known to the Cossacks, who often fought intensely with the French. Napoleon himself had to lead the men out of Russia, which they accomplished in just 8 days, losing 30% of the men, and 900 horses. A week later he arrived in Paris to crowds of cheering civilians, many tearful with joy at proof of the emperor's survival.

After first disclosing the true losses in Russia to his ministers, Napoleon finally let the public learn as well. Rather then let the people be shocked into fear at these losses, their emperor stoked it into firey rage. He gave speeches denouncing Tsar Alexander and the Russians, and promised them revenge. With his public support reassured, he turned his attention to rebuilding the army. He found that Empress Marie-Louise had indeed passed his conscription laws, with 100,000 men already mobilized and training. He planned to add another 100,000 to that, but these wouldn't be conscripts.

30,000 men were swept out of Spain, while 15,000 marines were taken off their blockaded ships for field service. More than 50,000 men if the National Guard were transferred to the army, with Marshal Moncey raising more. Throughout Central Europe the emperor's vassels and clients did the same. The confederation of the Rhine was ordered to give him 200,000 men by spring, while Poland called up 80,000. Eugéne and Murat were able to promise another 70,000, but both were hanpered, Eugéne by lack of funds, and Murat by a seeming lack of urgency. Whatever the case Napoleon planned to build up a massive force, and essentially try to meet the Russians in battle again, wherever that may be.

The French position in Smolensk meanwhile, was precarious. Marshal Bessiéres had never commanded a full army before, and struggled to manage it. Saint Cyr and Oudinot, reinforced by Victor, were able to halt Wittgenstein at Polotsk. To the South, Schwarzenberg and Reynier defeated General Osten-Sacken, but were unable to prevent Chichagov advancing on Minsk. Just weeks into his new position, and Bessiéres faced his first calamity. With Kutuzov to the East, Wittgenstein to the North, and Sacken to the South, he would have to hold off all three armies.

The marshal reacted swiftly, leaving I Corps and the imperial guard as the garrison of Smolensk, he personally led most the cavalry (Now led by Grouchy, and reorganized into two corps) Ney's III Corps, and Poniatowski's Poles against Sacken. In the meantime, Junot's Westphalians and Mortiers Italians feign an advance East, hoping to delay Kutuzov. By now though, the temperature was beginning to drop, and the cold would soon hinder movements on both sides. Everyone was in a race of time, to beat the enemy before General Winter defeated all...
Kutuzov “racing” is going to be something to watch.😂

Kutuzov “racing” is going to be something to watch.😂
And, pleeease, don’t make Chichagov too successful. 😂 He was, seemingly, a descent, intelligent and brave person but he was an admiral who never commanded more than a single ship and never served as a land force commander on any level. His appointment as an army commander was one of the incomprehensible Alexander’s actions. Any of his corps commanders had more experience than he did and Langeron even, for a short while, was commander of the Moldavian Army in 1811. Taking into an account that, with all his good qualities, Chichagov had a very high opinion about himself, it is unlikely that he would listen to any of his subordinates and the results had been seen by his confused maneuvering at the Berezina. Of course, it is your exclusive right to make him into anything up to a military genius level so this is just the OTL-based observation which may be of no relevance.
Another OTL data (to balance Napoleonic recruitment data). In OTL in 1812 there were 3 recruitment rounds: in March, August and November. Taking into an account that they were made at the extraordinary rate (8 person from 500 males instead of the standard 5), each of them would bring approximately 230-250,000. In OTL Kutuzov refused to use these troops in 1812 as not being adequately prepared (may or may not be true for a March call) but if he suddenly acquired “racing” abilities (😜) he may decide to use them.
Additional bonus in your TL is that the huge arsenal in Moscow is not lost and this makes easier a task of arming the new contingents.

Part 9- Letter's from the Tuileries

To His Majesty the King of Bavaria:​

It saddens me greatly sir, that you'll not have Marshal Lefebvre in command of your forces again, nonetheless this is your choice. I commend you on your selection of Field Marshal von Wrede however, he's a capable commander and a true Bavarian, I wish him all the success he can achieve. I'm quite satisfied with your new mobilization so far, and the Bavarian corps will be stronger than ever come Spring.

To The Viceroy of Italy (His eyes only)​

I'm proud my son, that you've handled yourself so competently these last few months, if only my dear brother was able to do the same. Continue your conscription as planned, but don't send everyone away just yet. I want you to provision and man every fort in Northern Italy, with militia if need be. I want 20,000 men on the Austrian border, should my dear father in-law get any... ambitions once again. My best wishes.

To my dear little sister Caroline:​

What is your husband doing? I've heard nothing of any conscription or mobilization for weeks, and he's ignored every message I've sent. I always believed you had the better head in your marriage, so please straighten him out, and tell him I'm not happy. Kiss your children for me, and send them my regards. Spare your heart and don't read the backside of this letter, that's for Joachim. In your thoughts, your brother Napoleon.

Murat!

You fuck, what's the matter with you? What's your motive in hobbling me like this? I was very specific in my orders, and you've either ignored them or ignored me, neither of which I will tolerate further. Compose yourself, or I swear on my son I'll make your wife regent, she's more of a man than you. Your throne is merely an extension of my realm, don't forget who sat you upon it.

To my dear Prince Alexis:​

I weep for the suffering your actions have brought upon your subjects. I propose a generous peace, simply return to Austria what I gave you three years ago, and you shall have peace. We can be friends as we once were, I regret that our time in Tilsit did not abade this conflict. Please, see reason end this folly. He who saves his nation, violates no law.

To His Majesty the King of Bavaria:​

It saddens me greatly sir, that you'll not have Marshal Lefebvre in command of your forces again, nonetheless this is your choice. I commend you on your selection of Field Marshal von Wrede however, he's a capable commander and a true Bavarian, I wish him all the success he can achieve. I'm quite satisfied with your new mobilization so far, and the Bavarian corps will be stronger than ever come Spring.

To The Viceroy of Italy (His eyes only)​

I'm proud my son, that you've handled yourself so competently these last few months, if only my dear brother was able to do the same. Continue your conscription as planned, but don't send everyone away just yet. I want you to provision and man every fort in Northern Italy, with militia if need be. I want 20,000 men on the Austrian border, should my dear father in-law get any... ambitions once again. My best wishes.

To my dear little sister Caroline:​

What is your husband doing? I've heard nothing of any conscription or mobilization for weeks, and he's ignored every message I've sent. I always believed you had the better head in your marriage, so please straighten him out, and tell him I'm not happy. Kiss your children for me, and send them my regards. Spare your heart and don't read the backside of this letter, that's for Joachim. In your thoughts, your brother Napoleon.

Murat!

You fuck, what's the matter with you? What's your motive in hobbling me like this? I was very specific in my orders, and you've either ignored them or ignored me, neither of which I will tolerate further. Compose yourself, or I swear on my son I'll make your wife regent, she's more of a man than you. Your throne is merely an extension of my realm, don't forget who sat you upon it.

To my dear Prince Alexis:​

I weep for the suffering your actions have brought upon your subjects. I propose a generous peace, simply return to Austria what I gave you three years ago, and you shall have peace. We can be friends as we once were, I regret that our time in Tilsit did not abade this conflict. Please, see reason end this folly. He who saves his nation, violates no law.
TL keeps getting better.

Letter to Murat is … beautiful! 😂😂😂😂

Who is “dear Prince Alexis”? Is he addressing AI this way? Wouldn’t it be rather …er… counterproductive under the circumstances? 🤔

TL keeps getting better.

Letter to Murat is … beautiful! 😂😂😂😂

Who is “dear Prince Alexis”? Is he addressing AI this way? Wouldn’t it be rather …er… counterproductive under the circumstances? 🤔
It's Alexander yes. For one prince was a general title that European monarchs used with eachother. But it's also a Waterloo reference.

"And as I made clear to you before Barclay" Kutuzov brushed him aside "There is no need to confront him now. Winter will come for him, and than he'll have to run across open country in the cold. If Chichagov can't handle him then it's not my problem." Kutuzov saw a lot of angry generals, and backtracked slightly "But tell me general, you have an alternative?" "Yes" he stepped over to a large map of Russia. Barclay was already sick to death of his new superior, and missed his former critic dearly.
Just a minor quibble, Kutuzov would not address Barclay de Tolly as "Barclay". He would probably use his first name and patronymic: Mikhail Bogdanovich, or possibly "Your Excellency" if he wanted to be really formal.

Just a minor quibble, Kutuzov would not address Barclay de Tolly as "Barclay".
This lapse was made in the old Soviet movie “Kutuzov”.😂

He would probably use his first name and patronymic: Mikhail Bogdanovich, or possibly "Your Excellency" if he wanted to be really formal.

Strictly speaking it would be “High Excellency” (Barclay was a full general, person of the 2nd class by the Table of the Ranks).

This lapse was made in the old Soviet movie “Kutuzov”.😂
Man, soviet movies and their depictions the nobility and the past in general. Not worse than Hollywood, but amusing in different ways.
Strictly speaking it would be “High Excellency” (Barclay was a full general, person of the 2nd class by the Table of the Ranks).
Thank you. I struggled to translate "Vashe Vysokoprivoskhoditel'stvo" without sounding like something out of a fantasy novel - Your Higher Superiority and attaching "High" to Excellency didn't occur.

Murat!

I really enjoyed your ATL letters written by Napoleon. They “read” just like him. I have a 1934 book, “Napoleon’s Letters”, “Selected, Translated, And Edited By J. M. Thompson” which contains 292 of his thousands of letters.

Your letter that Napoleon wrote criticizing Murat made me chuckle because it reminded me so much of one of the letters in this collection. I hope you don’t mind me posting it because I think it shows how much you have captured the essence of Napoleon’s style and flavor of writing. Here it is…

Napoleon’s Letters said:
253. Murat ,,,, To Joachim Napoleon, King Of The Two Sicilies From Fontainebleau, 26th January 1813.

I am not going to tell you how displeased I am with your conduct, which has been diametrically opposed to your duties. It is due to your weak character, as usual. You are a good solider on the battle-field, but off it you have no energy, and no character. Take warning by an act of treachery, which I attribute to fear, and give your best wits to my service. I am counting upon you --- upon your remorse and your promises of amendment. If it were not so, you would be sorry for it. I don’t imagine you are one of those who think the lion is dead. If you did, you would be badly out of your reckoning. Since you left Vilna, you have done me all the harm you could --- but we will say no more about that. The title of King has turned your head: if you want to keep it, behave yourself, and be careful what you say.” ((Note: Murat, left in charge of the army when Napoleon returned to Paris, himself deserted it, and came home.))

I really enjoyed your ATL letters written by Napoleon. They “read” just like him. I have a 1934 book, “Napoleon’s Letters”, “Selected, Translated, And Edited By J. M. Thompson” which contains 292 of his thousands of letters.

Your letter that Napoleon wrote criticizing Murat made me chuckle because it reminded me so much of one of the letters in this collection. I hope you don’t mind me posting it because I think it shows how much you have captured the essence of Napoleon’s style and flavor of writing. Here it is…
Haha that's awesome, and thank you! I'm just basing his personality of the waterloo movie, so I'm glad it seems so close to accurate

Last edited: