Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

He means extremist ultranasionalist like Modi. Uhuk pardon me Vajpayee still can be reasoned on parliament but Modi....
Perhaps, although Vajpayee's BJP is restrained by the fact they themselves does not have a single party majority and relying on the other members of the NDA.
But yeah..I agree with your statement.

213: Indonesia's Stance Part I
17th January 2003:
The late afternoon saw images of President Try Sutrisno and First Lady Tuti Setiawati descending from the Presidential Airplane as they arrived at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport being welcomed by Vice President JB Sumarlin and Second Lady Yustina Sudarmi Sumarlin.

Not long after that at the PKPB’s National Headquarters, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto held a press conference. She said that the decision to establish a strategic partnership with India is a good one and a significant landmark in Indonesia’s foreign policy journey. Tutut highlighted the role of Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita in securing this strategic partnership, as mentioned by Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee and downplayed, if not ignored, the President’s role.

18th January 2003:
State Secretary Edi Sudrajat was swarmed by the press as he arrived at the Presidential Palace to catch up on work he had not had a chance to do because of the trip to the IORA Summit and India. He was asked about Tutut emphasizing Ginandjar’s role at the expense of the President’s.

“I have a ringside seat, it’s always me who go in with them when they meet with foreign leaders”, Edi said “I can say that it’s a partnership with the President playing his part and the Minister of Foreign Affairs playing his part but most certainly with the President setting the course and the strategy for our foreign policy and the Minister of Foreign Affairs implementing it. I’m in the room whenever the President and the Minister of Foreign Affairs do their work, the Chairwoman of the PKPB is not there and she has no business trying to split apart this President-Minister of Foreign Affairs team.”

20th January 2003:
Monday saw the President mediating between Minister of Information, Post, and Telecommunications Oka Mahendra and Junior Minister of Arts and Culture Subrata. Subrata complained about how it took the movie Ada Apa Dengan Cinta nearly a year to be approved by the Film Censorship Institute (LSF) so that it can be broadcast on TVRI’s Filmmakers’ Cinema only to be told that the film was to be direct-to-VCD. Oka Mahendra replied that the LSF was only doing its job because there was a scene with “passionate western-style kissing” involved. The President said the movie should be kept on direct-to-VCD but admitted that that it was due time to reform the film industry so that films that appeal to the audience’s interests can be shown in cinemas instead of just on television.

Also meeting with the President that day was Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar and Junior Minister of Housing Bobby Suhardiman. The two ministers said they have been instructed by the President to explain decisions made in the Draft Budget related to the construction and property sectors. Rachmat explained that the aim of the moratorium on the construction of new government offices was to free up building materials and construction materials that could be used to build houses and drive the prices of these materials down. In turn, Bobby said, the government is hoping that the decreased prices of building and construction materials can be used to build houses, apartments and other dwellings. In particular, he points to the abolition of a luxury goods tax for apartments less than 100 m2 as an encouragement and stimulus to build and increase the supply of houses.

21st January 2003:
Attorney General Soedjono C. Atmonegoro and Leader of the PKPI in the DPR Sofyan Lubis were seen emerging from a meeting with the President at the Presidential Palace. At their joint press conference, Sofyan said that the President has instructed him to prioritize the passing of the Anti-Terror Bill into law before the DPR goes into recess for the MPR General Session. Speaking beside Sofyan, Soedjono said that he wants the Jemaah Islamiyah members arrested last August to be prosecuted and tried on the basis of not only the Anti-Subversion Law but also the Anti-Terror Law. He concluded by calling on the DPR to help the President deal the final blow against the Extreme Right and called on the other political parties to help unanimously pass the bill.

Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas and Head of BPN Yusuf Kartanegara also held a joint press conference after meeting the President. Kartanegara announced that the President had approved of new regulations regarding Land Deed Officers. Unlike in the past, existing or former civil servants from the BPN are no longer allowed to be Land Deed Officers and the honorarium given to Land Deed Officers has been increased from ½% of the transaction being processed to 1%. Harsudiono said the Department of Home Affairs’ interest in this is that in areas where Land Deed Officers are still scarce, District Chiefs or Village Chiefs may be appointed as Provisional Land Deed Officers.

22nd January 2003:
In a meeting at the PKPB Headquarters, Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Akbar Tandjung appealed to the Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto to throw her support behind the passing of the Anti-Terrorism Bill. When Tutut expressed her reluctance saying that the PKPB’s “internal dynamics” meant that a more thorough look at the bill will be required, Akbar reminded her that the PKPB did well for itself supporting the passing of the Manpower Law. But Tutut would not budge saying that the MPR General Session is close and that the “time to be constructive has passed”.

The President met with Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo in the evening. The two spoke on what stance Indonesia should take towards the United States’ and its Coalition’s impending action against Yugoslavia and the “examples” of how India and Iran would respond based on his meeting the two countries’ respective leaders last week. Ari said that he thinks Indonesia’s stance will eventually be a “nuanced” stance if India and Iran’s stance are to be used as examples.

The President then produced a piece of paper and handed it to Ari. Ari studied it carefully: it was Indonesia’s stance

“This is very well done, Mr. President”, said Ari “Have you thought about when you would like to express this stance?”

“The Prime Minister of the Netherlands is arriving the day after tomorrow and the Netherlands is a member of that Coalition” replied the President “I’m told that he will be bringing a message from that Coalition asking about where we will be standing as regards Yugoslavia and I will oblige by outlining our stance.”

23rd January 2003:
The President had his breakfast with Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar. The President made light fun about Wismoyo being well-dressed and being ready to travel but the discussion was serious as Wismoyo reported on things in his area.

The funds to begin paying the 28 F-16s are still unused and Wismoyo said he wants to make sure the funds are allocated elsewhere before the fiscal year is out. Wismoyo reported that he has used some of these funds to bring forward orders and construction of LSTs with the capacity to transport MBTs, APCs, or IFVs by PT. PAL. Wismoyo said that this will be important as various MBTs, APCs, and IFVs are delivered to Indonesia. More ships to carry personnel are also in the pipeline. The President approved of this saying that the Navy needs new ships to carry personnel and help rejuvenate its existing fleet.

The two then discussed Brunei’s “insistence” on selling its three British-made corvettes at a very cheap price. The President told Wismoyo to take it at the lowest possible price, at the most stretched out payment arrangement and to make sure that it was tested to make sure that the Bruneians badly want to get rid of it not because it was faulty.

Wismoyo said that he will be in Germany again during his trip and said that the Germans, led by the re-elected Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, are “pushing their equipment on us” saying that they are trying to cut their defense budget and getting rid of excess equipment and how Indonesia is a perfect fit because it was looking to spend on equipment. The President said that for the moment the 50 further Marder IFVs, 1 further Driver Training Tank, and 1 more Bergepanzer Armored Recovery Vehicle.

Then there was what Wismoyo said will be the highlight of the trip.

“We’re certain that these are what we will buy, Mr. President?” asked Wismoyo as he handed a piece of paper with specifications on it for the President to review.

“I am, Mr. Minister of Defense and Security”, said the President “From a technical sense I think these will improve our military capability, from a cost perspective we can make some savings on training because the Tatmadaw airmen who are with Shwe Mann are familiar with these equipment, it makes geopolitical sense, and it’s about time the Air Force gets some oleh-oleh.”

“Yes, Sir”, said Wismoyo.

The President stood up and Wismoyo stood up as well.

“Well there’s no more to talk about, so I wish you well for the trip”, said the President shaking Wismoyo’s hands “Dasvidaniya, Mr. Minister of Defense and Security.”

---
Apologies for the gap between the last chapter and this one. Over the last few weeks, I was busy with work and a member of the family passed away so this TL got really pushed down the priority list.

This was originally one long chapter but I broke it into some parts which is why this chapter is a bit shorter than usual.

For more on what the Indonesian film industry is like ITTL can be found https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ry-sutrisno-1997.425151/page-19#post-20451336

The LST Try and Wismoyo are talking about are the ITTL version of the Bintuni Class LSTs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teluk_Bintuni-class_tank_landing_ship

17th January 2003:
The late afternoon saw images of President Try Sutrisno and First Lady Tuti Setiawati descending from the Presidential Airplane as they arrived at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport being welcomed by Vice President JB Sumarlin and Second Lady Yustina Sudarmi Sumarlin.

Not long after that at the PKPB’s National Headquarters, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto held a press conference. She said that the decision to establish a strategic partnership with India is a good one and a significant landmark in Indonesia’s foreign policy journey. Tutut highlighted the role of Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita in securing this strategic partnership, as mentioned by Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee and downplayed, if not ignored, the President’s role.

18th January 2003:
State Secretary Edi Sudrajat was swarmed by the press as he arrived at the Presidential Palace to catch up on work he had not had a chance to do because of the trip to the IORA Summit and India. He was asked about Tutut emphasizing Ginandjar’s role at the expense of the President’s.

“I have a ringside seat, it’s always me who go in with them when they meet with foreign leaders”, Edi said “I can say that it’s a partnership with the President playing his part and the Minister of Foreign Affairs playing his part but most certainly with the President setting the course and the strategy for our foreign policy and the Minister of Foreign Affairs implementing it. I’m in the room whenever the President and the Minister of Foreign Affairs do their work, the Chairwoman of the PKPB is not there and she has no business trying to split apart this President-Minister of Foreign Affairs team.”
Well at least Tutut's opponent in the event of her being president will say, "Ini semua kerja menteri, Tutut tak buat apa-apa" (This is all the works of the ministry, Tutut never do anything) for the things that she does do well (which admittedly will be rare)
20th January 2003:
Monday saw the President mediating between Minister of Information, Post, and Telecommunications Oka Mahendra and Junior Minister of Arts and Culture Subrata. Subrata complained about how it took the movie Ada Apa Dengan Cinta nearly a year to be approved by the Film Censorship Institute (LSF) so that it can be broadcast on TVRI’s Filmmakers’ Cinema only to be told that the film was to be direct-to-VCD. Oka Mahendra replied that the LSF was only doing its job because there was a scene with “passionate western-style kissing” involved. The President said the movie should be kept on direct-to-VCD but admitted that that it was due time to reform the film industry so that films that appeal to the audience’s interests can be shown in cinemas instead of just on television.
It is me or the film industry is unfortunately more restrained ITTL
Wait what was the movie again...
Ada Apa Dengan Cinta
Thanks for nothing, now that song is stuck in my head until the weekend (again. For context, never actually watched the movie since I am not really into romance, but damn what a heck of a earworm does the theme song is)
Also meeting with the President that day was Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar and Junior Minister of Housing Bobby Suhardiman. The two ministers said they have been instructed by the President to explain decisions made in the Draft Budget related to the construction and property sectors. Rachmat explained that the aim of the moratorium on the construction of new government offices was to free up building materials and construction materials that could be used to build houses and drive the prices of these materials down. In turn, Bobby said, the government is hoping that the decreased prices of building and construction materials can be used to build houses, apartments and other dwellings. In particular, he points to the abolition of a luxury goods tax for apartments less than 100 m2 as an encouragement and stimulus to build and increase the supply of houses.

21st January 2003:
Attorney General Soedjono C. Atmonegoro and Leader of the PKPI in the DPR Sofyan Lubis were seen emerging from a meeting with the President at the Presidential Palace. At their joint press conference, Sofyan said that the President has instructed him to prioritize the passing of the Anti-Terror Bill into law before the DPR goes into recess for the MPR General Session. Speaking beside Sofyan, Soedjono said that he wants the Jemaah Islamiyah members arrested last August to be prosecuted and tried on the basis of not only the Anti-Subversion Law but also the Anti-Terror Law. He concluded by calling on the DPR to help the President deal the final blow against the Extreme Right and called on the other political parties to help unanimously pass the bill.

Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas and Head of BPN Yusuf Kartanegara also held a joint press conference after meeting the President. Kartanegara announced that the President had approved of new regulations regarding Land Deed Officers. Unlike in the past, existing or former civil servants from the BPN are no longer allowed to be Land Deed Officers and the honorarium given to Land Deed Officers has been increased from ½% of the transaction being processed to 1%. Harsudiono said the Department of Home Affairs’ interest in this is that in areas where Land Deed Officers are still scarce, District Chiefs or Village Chiefs may be appointed as Provisional Land Deed Officers.
Well, normal administration stuff (why on earth is the song really distracting me from thinking about this)
22nd January 2003:
In a meeting at the PKPB Headquarters, Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Akbar Tandjung appealed to the Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto to throw her support behind the passing of the Anti-Terrorism Bill. When Tutut expressed her reluctance saying that the PKPB’s “internal dynamics” meant that a more thorough look at the bill will be required, Akbar reminded her that the PKPB did well for itself supporting the passing of the Manpower Law. But Tutut would not budge saying that the MPR General Session is close and that the “time to be constructive has passed”.
And Tutut being Tutut, again.
The President met with Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo in the evening. The two spoke on what stance Indonesia should take towards the United States’ and its Coalition’s impending action against Yugoslavia and the “examples” of how India and Iran would respond based on his meeting the two countries’ respective leaders last week. Ari said that he thinks Indonesia’s stance will eventually be a “nuanced” stance if India and Iran’s stance are to be used as examples.

The President then produced a piece of paper and handed it to Ari. Ari studied it carefully: it was Indonesia’s stance

“This is very well done, Mr. President”, said Ari “Have you thought about when you would like to express this stance?”

“The Prime Minister of the Netherlands is arriving the day after tomorrow and the Netherlands is a member of that Coalition” replied the President “I’m told that he will be bringing a message from that Coalition asking about where we will be standing as regards Yugoslavia and I will oblige by outlining our stance.”
Well, I wonder what would the reactions to the stance would be.
23rd January 2003:
The President had his breakfast with Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar. The President made light fun about Wismoyo being well-dressed and being ready to travel but the discussion was serious as Wismoyo reported on things in his area.

The funds to begin paying the 28 F-16s are still unused and Wismoyo said he wants to make sure the funds are allocated elsewhere before the fiscal year is out. Wismoyo reported that he has used some of these funds to bring forward orders and construction of LSTs with the capacity to transport MBTs, APCs, or IFVs by PT. PAL. Wismoyo said that this will be important as various MBTs, APCs, and IFVs are delivered to Indonesia. More ships to carry personnel are also in the pipeline. The President approved of this saying that the Navy needs new ships to carry personnel and help rejuvenate its existing fleet.

The two then discussed Brunei’s “insistence” on selling its three British-made corvettes at a very cheap price. The President told Wismoyo to take it at the lowest possible price, at the most stretched out payment arrangement and to make sure that it was tested to make sure that the Bruneians badly want to get rid of it not because it was faulty.
Well, the purse is overflowing with money, so why not using it. BTW, Bung Tomo-class corvettes being purchased 10 years earlier than ITTL, huh. Well considering the lack of information regarding this, perhaps the Brunei Navy bit more than it can chew(they ordered it before the Financial Crisis after all). Looking at their OTL service history making me wonder on what the state of the airline industry ITTL(Edit: Thanks Adam Air for being so suck that the song are able to be flushed away)
Wismoyo said that he will be in Germany again during his trip and said that the Germans, led by the re-elected Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, are “pushing their equipment on us” saying that they are trying to cut their defense budget and getting rid of excess equipment and how Indonesia is a perfect fit because it was looking to spend on equipment.
Oh yeah, it was at this moment when the German Army started its 20 year decline, with it's attempts of reform into a smaller, nimbler army somehow making it more unmanageable and dysfunctional.

All in all another good update.

Maaf untuk kesenjangan antara bab terakhir dan yang satu ini. Selama beberapa minggu terakhir, saya sibuk dengan pekerjaan dan salah satu anggota keluarga meninggal dunia sehingga TL ini benar-benar terdorong ke dalam daftar prioritas.
My deepest condolences

My deepest condolences
My deepest condolences
17th January 2003:

18th January 2003:

20th January 2003:

21st January 2003:

22nd January 2003:

23rd January 2003:

Wismoyo said that he will be in Germany again during his trip and said that the Germans, led by the re-elected Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, are “pushing their equipment on us” saying that they are trying to cut their defense budget and getting rid of excess equipment and how Indonesia is a perfect fit because it was looking to spend on equipment. The President said that for the moment the 50 further Marder IFVs, 1 further Driver Training Tank, and 1 more Bergepanzer Armored Recovery Vehicle.

Then there was what Wismoyo said will be the highlight of the trip.

“We’re certain that these are what we will buy, Mr. President?” asked Wismoyo as he handed a piece of paper with specifications on it for the President to review.

“I am, Mr. Minister of Defense and Security”, said the President “From a technical sense I think these will improve our military capability, from a cost perspective we can make some savings on training because the Tatmadaw airmen who are with Shwe Mann are familiar with these equipment, it makes geopolitical sense, and it’s about time the Air Force gets some oleh-oleh.”

“Yes, Sir”, said Wismoyo.

The President stood up and Wismoyo stood up as well.

“Well there’s no more to talk about, so I wish you well for the trip”, said the President shaking Wismoyo’s hands “Dasvidaniya, Mr. Minister of Defense and Security.”

---
Apologies for the gap between the last chapter and this one. Over the last few weeks, I was busy with work and a member of the family passed away so this TL got really pushed down the priority list.

This was originally one long chapter but I broke it into some parts which is why this chapter is a bit shorter than usual.

For more on what the Indonesian film industry is like ITTL can be found https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ry-sutrisno-1997.425151/page-19#post-20451336

The LST Try and Wismoyo are talking about are the ITTL version of the Bintuni Class LSTs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teluk_Bintuni-class_tank_landing_ship
The navy for a while are very large on Transport Fleet knowing the nature of Indonesia as a country and its need to transport troops and equipemnt. Probably after this the Navy are trying to find out on how to expand their Escort Forces to help protect this ships. I kinda expects The Navy will start expanding it’s Fast Missile Patrol Crafts and Corvettes at this time (like IRL) to have a more surface combatant’s . I’m hoping the Navy would learn from Operation Praying Mantis (for small surface combatant capabilities) and the Falklands War (for large surface combatant capabilities) to see how to secure air and sea supremacy from air and sea attacks from adversaries and build a doctrine for there to have more capable surface combatants (Guided Missile Frigate or Destroyers to help cover smaller suface combatants and the Transport Fleet and also our own territory) and expanding the Air Force to be more capable in this regard. Tutut seems try a lot to undermine the President role on foreign affairs stuff and that’s kinda a dangerous move tbh when in this TL Indonesia is trying to be more active in world affairs. Hope she can get her senses together to have the anti terrorist act ratified in MPR because if she not, It’s gonna bite her back somehow.

Gonna be hillarious if K̶e̶n̶t̶u̶t̶ Tutut manage to take a significant number of Try's votes by Yudhoyono, Hamzah, and Ginandjar but she forgot 2 can play this game and her side too are being undermined from the inside(and it's from K̶e̶n̶t̶u̶t̶ Tutut herself lmao)

Thanks for the update mate and my deepest condolences... Take time off if you have too, we'll be here patiently waiting for Tutut's second defeat lmao 😁

Last edited:
Gonna be hillarious if K̶e̶n̶t̶u̶t̶ Tutut manage to take a significant number of Try's votes by Yudhoyono, Hamzah, and Ginandjar but she forgot 2 can play this game and her side too are being undermined from the inside(and it's from K̶e̶n̶t̶u̶t̶ Tutut herself lmao)

Thanks for the update mate and my deepest condolences... Take time off if you have too, we'll be here patiently waiting for Tutut's second defeat lmao 😁
Did Tutut cut any kind of unique profile as a politician?

Thank you so much for the condolences, readers. It means a lot.

It is me or the film industry is unfortunately more restrained ITTL
Industry-wise, foreign films rule in the cinema with Indonesian films reduced to a filmmakers’ showcase on TVRI. Censor-wise, you can say that it’s a reflection of the media environment ITTL: freer than under Soeharto but not as free as OTL.

Did Tutut cut any kind of unique profile as a politician?
In OTL we didn’t really get to see a lot of Tutut as a politician. Soeharto was in power for 3 decades but Tutut was only in politics for the last 5 years and a cabinet minister for the last 2 months. There is speculation that Soeharto was beginning to groom her to be his successor as the president.

This TL assumes that this speculation is true, that Tutut’s path became disrupted with Soeharto’s ITTL death and Try’s assumption of power, and that she is now trying to regain power on behalf of the Soehartoists.

Tutut’s style and ideas is based on her and her siblings’ OTL stance on various political issues which is that things were always better under Soeharto. (https://www.beritasatu.com/politik/784363/100-tahun-soeharto-tutut-ingatkan-kejayaan-masa-lalu/amp).

214: Indonesia's Stance Part II
24th January 2003:
At the Presidential Palace this morning, President Try Sutrisno held a ceremony to welcome the arrival of Prime Minister of the Netherlands Hans Dijkstal. Once the welcoming ceremony was over, Try and Dijkstal held their initial talks. Try was accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita and Edi Sudrajat while Dijkstal brought Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs Jan Peter Balkenende with him.

The two began by saying that the two things they have in common is that they were forces of moderation. The Netherlands sees Indonesia as a force of moderation in the Islamic world and Indonesia seeing the Netherlands as a force of moderation helping to make sure that right-wing populists do not emerge victorious. This last comment prompted Dijkstal to say that he got lucky “Fortuyn’s would-be assassin failed” because that could have lead to sympathy votes for the right wingers.

The two spoke about various areas of cooperations between the two countries. But Try was most interested in discussing the United States and its coalition’s intentions towards Yugoslavia and President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic. Dijkstal and Balkenende said that in the “beginning, had Milosevic ceased operations in Montenegro and acknowledged Milo Dukanovic’s election as President of Montenegro, military action would not be taken against him. But that time has now come and gone, and the United States and its coalition, of which Netherlands is a member, is now calling for Milosevic to step down on account of human rights violations he is presently committing in Montenegro or else be removed forcibly. Balkenende then asked what was Indonesia’s view on the developing situation.

Try said that Indonesia’s preference was for matters to be solved through peaceful means. Pointing to Yugoslavia’s status as a Russian ally, Try said even if military conflict was unavoidable, Indonesia did not want a “wider” military conflict. Half-joking that what Try said was a “standard diplomatic response”, Dijkstal prodded for Indonesia’s stance if the United States and its coalition were to remove Milosevic using military force saying that the White House and 10 Downing Street are aware of this visit, that this matter would be discussed, and that they have encouraged Indonesia to express its stance.

Try shifted in his seat and then began outlining Indonesia’s stance.

“There are three components to our stance”, began Try “The first is this: were the United States and its Coalition were to launch military operations against Yugoslavia up to and including removing the present Yugoslavian Government by force, Indonesia will neither support or condemn the United States and its coalition. If this matter was to come to a vote at the UN, Indonesia would abstain. Indeed, you might say we want to abstain on the issue.

Indonesia is simply too busy with other matters at the moment, such as for example trying to get our Anti-Terrorism Bill passed so that we can prosecute those we apprehended and possess in our custody using that law. It would be a shame if Indonesia would lose its focus on that. Others are may be strong enough to divide their attention between Yugoslavia and the War on Terror, but not us.”

Dijkstal nodded in understanding at what Try was telling him.

“The second component”, Try continued “Indonesia does not want what the United States and its Coalition’s military operations to have a negative impact on Indonesia’s relations with Yugoslavia or its allies.

We don’t want to be pushed to put pressure, whether diplomatic or economic, on Yugoslavia or its allies. At the same time we don’t want our existing cooperation with the United States and its Coalition to be jeopardized because we want to maintain our relationship with Yugoslavia and its allies.

In other words, we want to maintain our good relations with all sides in accordance with our free and active foreign policy.”

“If you don’t mind me asking”, said Dijkstal “By wanting to maintain your relations with Yugoslavia and its allies, would that also include Russia?”

“Of course, Mr. Prime Minister”, said Ginandjar cheerfully “Our two countries are building a smelter to process bauxite into alumina.”

“And would maintaining existing relations with Russia include buying weapons from it?” asked Balkenende “We are aware that your Minister of Defense and Security is in Moscow at this very moment.”

Try chuckled.

“If that’s a concern, would the United States be open to revisiting the matter of our possible purchase of 28 F-16s?” asked Try.

Dijkstal looked at Try.

“The message that was put to us by the White House is that that matter has been settled and will not be reopened”, replied Dijkstal.

“If that matter can no longer be revisited, then the matter of Indonesia buying weapons from Russia is of no concern to the United States”, said Try casually.

There was silence in the room.

“Mr. President”, said Balkenende breaking the silence “You said there were three components to Indonesia’s stance.”

“That’s correct”, continued Try “The third component is regarding to sovereignty. I’m not trying to say that there are differences or similarities between Indonesia or Yugoslavia’s similarities but I am wondering whether, if the United States and its Coalition go ahead with what it proposes to do, there is a bad precedent here for Indonesia?”

“How do you mean, Mr. President?” asked Dijkstal.

“If people were to rise up against this nation with the aim of seceding from it and if the government was to use the power that it has at its disposal to prevent that from happening, what guarantees can we get that the world would not respond by conducting a military operation against us on the grounds of humanitarian intervention and on the grounds that a precedent exists with the operations that is about to be conducted against Yugoslavia?” replied Try.

“You’re saying there is an active separatist movement in Indonesia at the moment, Mr. President?” asked Dijkstal “From what I gather from the intelligence from me, things are quite dormant when it comes to separatism in Indonesia. Even the Republic of South Molucca (RMS), which has a presence in our country, has been very quiet.”

“I’m not talking about whether or not there is an active separatist movement in my country, Mr. Prime Minister”, emphasized Try “I’m talking about whether there is a potential precedent here from what the United States and its Coalition is about to do to Yugoslavia: any nation wanting to maintain its territorial integrity gets so-called humanitarian intervention thrown in their face.”

“I…uh…” stammered Dijkstal.

“I hope there is an answer to my question”, insisted Try.

Friday prayer cut Try and Dijkstal’s meeting short; they would not be scheduled to meet again until the mid-afternoon. Try had lunch by himself and it was at the end of lunch that Edi came by with some news.

“From the Minister of Defense and Security, Mr. President”, said Edi handing a piece of paper.

Try read it and smiled.

“Did you intend for this to happen, of all things, during a visit by a member of the United States’ Coalition?” asked Edi.

“I only wanted to show our free and active foreign policy by having the Minister of Defense and Security in Moscow at the same time purchasing some Russian weapons”, replied Try “But this…this is an opportunity not to be missed.”

---
Mid-afternoon saw Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Tourism Soeyono, and State Minister of Youth and Sports Hajriyanto Thohari met with Minister of Economic Affairs Roger van Boxtel, Minister of Development Cooperation Hans Hoogervorst, and State Secretary of Sports Mark Rutte.

Agreements which both delegations agreed to include an agreement between Soeyono and van Boxtel to increase the number of Dutch tourists coming to Indonesia through a marketing campaign and encouraging “Tempo Doeloe Tourism Packages” to visit places such as Jakarta, Bogor, and Bandung. Meanwhile Hajriyanto and Rutte concluded an agreement to facilitate the establishment of a Coerver Coaching Footballing Academy in Indonesia with Dutch aid.

Nobody could fail to notice that both the President of the Republic of Indonesia and the Prime Minister of the Netherlands had delegated the meeting to ministers.

By this time in Jakarta, however, attention was no longer fixed on Dijkstal’s visit but on the $1 billion of credit to buy weapons which Russia had offered to Indonesia.

Dijkstal and Balkenende were within the confines of the Dutch Embassy in Jakarta and it soon emerged that Dijkstal was in a hastily-summoned conference call with Washington, London, Canberra, and Ottawa.

At the Presidential Palace, Try convened a meeting of his own attended by Vice President JB Sumarlin, Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar via a secure line in Moscow, Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad, State Minister of National Security Soerjadi, Edi Sudrajat, Commander of ABRI Wiranto, and Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo.

“I believe that the Russians are very aware that we have failed to get the 28 F-16s, that they want to register some displeasure at China offering only limited assistance to Yugoslavia, and they just want to show the United States that they can attract our support”, Try said to the meeting “I think we should take advantage of this.”

There were murmurs of agreement in the room. The two voices of caution belonged to Sumarlin and Ginandjar. Sumarlin all but interrogated Wismoyo on the financial terms of the credit with the latter responding that the repayment of the credit will only begin in 15 years. When he had responded to Sumarlin’s questioning, Wismoyo half-jokingly reminded Try that someone in the room must be able to say no to Try to prevent him from “going overboard with buying weapons”.

Ginandjar’s caution was about the political strings, he asked whether Russia expects Indonesia’s support on its stance on various international issues. Wismoyo said that President of Russia Yevgeny Primakov and Prime Minister of Vladimir Putin had already given their assurances and that this was a “commercial agreement by an arms exporter” as opposed to a “geopolitical agreement”.

With no further disagreements, Try instructed Wismoyo to sign the agreement with Russia.

Sumarlin then led everyone in the room out except for Wiranto out with Ginandjar and Edi entrusted with the duty of announcing Indonesia’s acceptance of the $1 billion Russian credit to purchase arms.

Military men now stepped into the room with the President: Deputy Commander of ABRI Chappy Hakim, Navy Chief of Staff Djoko Sumaryono, Chief of Police Ansyaad Mbai, ABRI Chief of General Staff Djaja Suparman, Chief of the ABRI Intelligence Agency Amirul Isnaeni, Secretary at the Department of Defense and Security Romulo Simbolon, Assistant of Operation at ABRI Headquarters Syarifuddin Tippe and Assistant of Planning at ABRI Headquarters Noer Muis. Over in Moscow, Wismoyo was joined by Army Chief of Staff TB Hasanuddin and Air Force Chief of Staff Ali Munsiri Rappe.

When the meeting was over, Wiranto and the officers only smiled and did not reveal what was discussed.

The day ended with images from the Kremlin where Wismoyo and Russian Minister of Defense Yuri Maslyukov are seen signing an agreement on the $1 billion credit to buy weapons in the presence of President of Russia Yevgeny Primakov and Prime Minister of Russia Vladimir Putin. Putin spoke to the press saying that given Russia’s status as an arms exporter, the agreement signed is of a commercial rather than a geopolitical nature and that “no big deal” should be made. When asked how China would react, Putin said that China had nothing to worry about militarily from Indonesia.

Back at his hotel, looking exhausted but exhilarated, Wismoyo held a press conference. He announced that as a result of this $1 billion credit the list of weapons systems that he has come to order and/or procure from Russia has necessarily expanded to begin taking advantage of this $1 billion credit. He had arrived in Russia to purchase 24 Mig-29 aircrafts, 12 Sukhoi-30 aircrafts, 40 BMP-3F, and 12 BTR-80s. But now that list, with the approval of the President, has been expanded as follows:

*24 Sukhoi-30 fighter aircrafts
*24 Mig-29 fighter aircrafts
*80 BMP-3F IFVs
*3 Ural-4320 Repairs and Communication Vehicle
*6 BREM-L Armoured Recovery Vehicle
*38 BTR-80 APCs

---
Over empty plates that have yet to be cleared, the PKPB’s Prabowo Subianto watched the image of Wismoyo taking questions from the press.

“There is something impressive about this that can’t be denied”, began Prabowo “The President just took advantage of how Russia might feel about China wanting to participate only very minimally in Yugoslavia to strengthen our military. We still have a lot to go before we’re as strong as China but what better way for Russia to show some displeasure at China by arming us.”

Across the table, Governor of Lemhanas Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono also watched the television screen.

“On the Western side of things, this won’t reflect well on how Australia looks in front of the United States”, Yudhoyono analyzed “The Australians’ stubborn insistence that we shouldn’t get the 28 F-16s has ended with us turning to the Russians and the Russians giving us more than we expect.”

“What do you suppose the West will do?” asked Prabowo.

“The West will throw something our way before the Prime Minister of the Netherlands leaves Jakarta tomorrow; because they don’t want to revisit the 28 F-16s for Australia’s sake but they want to compensate us with something, because they don’t want to just sit by and do nothing as we load up on Russian weapons, because they still need us in the War on Terror, and because actually, we’re doing them a favor by showing them that Russia and China doesn’t agree on everything”, replied Yudhoyono.

“The United States on one side, Russia on the other and Indonesia’s the one to take advantage and come out the winner”, Prabowo said “It is a shame that circumstances has placed the President and sister-in-law as opponents.”

The two went silent as the news bulletin went over the day’s events television screen

“My quarrel with him is not with the way he is doing things”, Yudhoyono said at last.

“You’ve kept your head down but being passed over twice for the Army Chief of Staff’s position…that could not have been painless”, replied Prabowo.

Yudhoyono looked down at the table and smiled sourly.

“I am authorized by the Chairwoman of the PKPB to tell you that your talent deserves to be rewarded” said Prabowo “The thing is, she believes that the Army Chief of Staff’s position will be too lowly for you. Perhaps command over ABRI will be more suitable.”

---
Off-screen happenings: Fortuyn doesn't get assassinated and the Pim Fortuyn List doesn't get a boost, the VVD, CDA, and D66 manages to scrape through with a coalition.

The whole “If Indonesia is fighting separatists is it going to get a military intervention” deal is based on a friend in OTL who studies international relations summing up the NATO bombings of Yugoslavia as “What if Indonesia was fighting GAM and the world’s reaction is to bomb Jakarta or conduct a military intervention?”

These 24 Sukhoi-30 will join the 12 which Soeharto bought in 1997 but which, unlike in OTL where the purchase was cancelled, were actually delivered because of the better economic situation ITTL.

ITTL, Yudhoyono failed to be Army Chief of Staff twice. The first in 2000 when Luhut was selected over him and in 2002 when TB Hasanuddin was selected over him. Yudhoyono’s unhappiness about not being Army Chief of Staff is based on his OTL reaction when by being named minister in President Wahid’s Cabinet he could not become Army Chief of Staff (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...i+yudhoyono+ksad&pg=PA347&printsec=frontcover)

This mini-saga is going to continue to a Part III

24th January 2003:
At the Presidential Palace this morning, President Try Sutrisno held a ceremony to welcome the arrival of Prime Minister of the Netherlands Hans Dijkstal. Once the welcoming ceremony was over, Try and Dijkstal held their initial talks. Try was accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita and Edi Sudrajat while Dijkstal brought Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs Jan Peter Balkenende with him.
Hmmm...it is me or there is something off...
The two began by saying that the two things they have in common is that they were forces of moderation. The Netherlands sees Indonesia as a force of moderation in the Islamic world and Indonesia seeing the Netherlands as a force of moderation helping to make sure that right-wing populists do not emerge victorious. This last comment prompted Dijkstal to say that he got lucky “Fortuyn’s would-be assassin failed” because that could have lead to sympathy votes for the right wingers.
Oh that explain a bit...I have heard of Pym Fortuyn (and its impactful assassination) before, but...hmmm.
The two spoke about various areas of cooperations between the two countries. But Try was most interested in discussing the United States and its coalition’s intentions towards Yugoslavia and President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic. Dijkstal and Balkenende said that in the “beginning, had Milosevic ceased operations in Montenegro and acknowledged Milo Dukanovic’s election as President of Montenegro, military action would not be taken against him. But that time has now come and gone, and the United States and its coalition, of which Netherlands is a member, is now calling for Milosevic to step down on account of human rights violations he is presently committing in Montenegro or else be removed forcibly. Balkenende then asked what was Indonesia’s view on the developing situation.

Try said that Indonesia’s preference was for matters to be solved through peaceful means. Pointing to Yugoslavia’s status as a Russian ally, Try said even if military conflict was unavoidable, Indonesia did not want a “wider” military conflict. Half-joking that what Try said was a “standard diplomatic response”, Dijkstal prodded for Indonesia’s stance if the United States and its coalition were to remove Milosevic using military force saying that the White House and 10 Downing Street are aware of this visit, that this matter would be discussed, and that they have encouraged Indonesia to express its stance.

Try shifted in his seat and then began outlining Indonesia’s stance.

“There are three components to our stance”, began Try “The first is this: were the United States and its Coalition were to launch military operations against Yugoslavia up to and including removing the present Yugoslavian Government by force, Indonesia will neither support or condemn the United States and its coalition. If this matter was to come to a vote at the UN, Indonesia would abstain. Indeed, you might say we want to abstain on the issue.

Indonesia is simply too busy with other matters at the moment, such as for example trying to get our Anti-Terrorism Bill passed so that we can prosecute those we apprehended and possess in our custody using that law. It would be a shame if Indonesia would lose its focus on that. Others are may be strong enough to divide their attention between Yugoslavia and the War on Terror, but not us.”

Dijkstal nodded in understanding at what Try was telling him.

“The second component”, Try continued “Indonesia does not want what the United States and its Coalition’s military operations to have a negative impact on Indonesia’s relations with Yugoslavia or its allies.

We don’t want to be pushed to put pressure, whether diplomatic or economic, on Yugoslavia or its allies. At the same time we don’t want our existing cooperation with the United States and its Coalition to be jeopardized because we want to maintain our relationship with Yugoslavia and its allies.

In other words, we want to maintain our good relations with all sides in accordance with our free and active foreign policy.”

“If you don’t mind me asking”, said Dijkstal “By wanting to maintain your relations with Yugoslavia and its allies, would that also include Russia?”

“Of course, Mr. Prime Minister”, said Ginandjar cheerfully “Our two countries are building a smelter to process bauxite into alumina.”

“And would maintaining existing relations with Russia include buying weapons from it?” asked Balkenende “We are aware that your Minister of Defense and Security is in Moscow at this very moment.”

Try chuckled.

“If that’s a concern, would the United States be open to revisiting the matter of our possible purchase of 28 F-16s?” asked Try.

Dijkstal looked at Try.

“The message that was put to us by the White House is that that matter has been settled and will not be reopened”, replied Dijkstal.

“If that matter can no longer be revisited, then the matter of Indonesia buying weapons from Russia is of no concern to the United States”, said Try casually.

There was silence in the room.

“Mr. President”, said Balkenende breaking the silence “You said there were three components to Indonesia’s stance.”

“That’s correct”, continued Try “The third component is regarding to sovereignty. I’m not trying to say that there are differences or similarities between Indonesia or Yugoslavia’s similarities but I am wondering whether, if the United States and its Coalition go ahead with what it proposes to do, there is a bad precedent here for Indonesia?”

“How do you mean, Mr. President?” asked Dijkstal.

“If people were to rise up against this nation with the aim of seceding from it and if the government was to use the power that it has at its disposal to prevent that from happening, what guarantees can we get that the world would not respond by conducting a military operation against us on the grounds of humanitarian intervention and on the grounds that a precedent exists with the operations that is about to be conducted against Yugoslavia?” replied Try.

“You’re saying there is an active separatist movement in Indonesia at the moment, Mr. President?” asked Dijkstal “From what I gather from the intelligence from me, things are quite dormant when it comes to separatism in Indonesia. Even the Republic of South Molucca (RMS), which has a presence in our country, has been very quiet.”

“I’m not talking about whether or not there is an active separatist movement in my country, Mr. Prime Minister”, emphasized Try “I’m talking about whether there is a potential precedent here from what the United States and its Coalition is about to do to Yugoslavia: any nation wanting to maintain its territorial integrity gets so-called humanitarian intervention thrown in their face.”

“I…uh…” stammered Dijkstal.
That's a reaction, for sure.
“I hope there is an answer to my question”, insisted Try.

Friday prayer cut Try and Dijkstal’s meeting short; they would not be scheduled to meet again until the mid-afternoon. Try had lunch by himself and it was at the end of lunch that Edi came by with some news.

“From the Minister of Defense and Security, Mr. President”, said Edi handing a piece of paper.

Try read it and smiled.

“Did you intend for this to happen, of all things, during a visit by a member of the United States’ Coalition?” asked Edi.

“I only wanted to show our free and active foreign policy by having the Minister of Defense and Security in Moscow at the same time purchasing some Russian weapons”, replied Try “But this…this is an opportunity not to be missed.”

---
Mid-afternoon saw Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Tourism Soeyono, and State Minister of Youth and Sports Hajriyanto Thohari met with Minister of Economic Affairs Roger van Boxtel, Minister of Development Cooperation Hans Hoogervorst, and State Secretary of Sports Mark Rutte.
Ah yes Mark Rutte, who is OTL would be the future Prime Minister.
Agreements which both delegations agreed to include an agreement between Soeyono and van Boxtel to increase the number of Dutch tourists coming to Indonesia through a marketing campaign and encouraging “Tempo Doeloe Tourism Packages” to visit places such as Jakarta, Bogor, and Bandung. Meanwhile Hajriyanto and Rutte concluded an agreement to facilitate the establishment of a Coerver Coaching Footballing Academy in Indonesia with Dutch aid.

Nobody could fail to notice that both the President of the Republic of Indonesia and the Prime Minister of the Netherlands had delegated the meeting to ministers.

By this time in Jakarta, however, attention was no longer fixed on Dijkstal’s visit but on the $1 billion of credit to buy weapons which Russia had offered to Indonesia.

Dijkstal and Balkenende were within the confines of the Dutch Embassy in Jakarta and it soon emerged that Dijkstal was in a hastily-summoned conference call with Washington, London, Canberra, and Ottawa.
Canberra would need some explaining to do, and would have a harder time in trying to explain than Moscow...
At the Presidential Palace, Try convened a meeting of his own attended by Vice President JB Sumarlin, Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar via a secure line in Moscow, Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad, State Minister of National Security Soerjadi, Edi Sudrajat, Commander of ABRI Wiranto, and Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo.

“I believe that the Russians are very aware that we have failed to get the 28 F-16s, that they want to register some displeasure at China offering only limited assistance to Yugoslavia, and they just want to show the United States that they can attract our support”, Try said to the meeting “I think we should take advantage of this.”

There were murmurs of agreement in the room. The two voices of caution belonged to Sumarlin and Ginandjar. Sumarlin all but interrogated Wismoyo on the financial terms of the credit with the latter responding that the repayment of the credit will only begin in 15 years. When he had responded to Sumarlin’s questioning, Wismoyo half-jokingly reminded Try that someone in the room must be able to say no to Try to prevent him from “going overboard with buying weapons”.

Ginandjar’s caution was about the political strings, he asked whether Russia expects Indonesia’s support on its stance on various international issues. Wismoyo said that President of Russia Yevgeny Primakov and Prime Minister of Vladimir Putin had already given their assurances and that this was a “commercial agreement by an arms exporter” as opposed to a “geopolitical agreement”.

With no further disagreements, Try instructed Wismoyo to sign the agreement with Russia.

Sumarlin then led everyone in the room out except for Wiranto out with Ginandjar and Edi entrusted with the duty of announcing Indonesia’s acceptance of the $1 billion Russian credit to purchase arms.

Military men now stepped into the room with the President: Deputy Commander of ABRI Chappy Hakim, Navy Chief of Staff Djoko Sumaryono, Chief of Police Ansyaad Mbai, ABRI Chief of General Staff Djaja Suparman, Chief of the ABRI Intelligence Agency Amirul Isnaeni, Secretary at the Department of Defense and Security Romulo Simbolon, Assistant of Operation at ABRI Headquarters Syarifuddin Tippe and Assistant of Planning at ABRI Headquarters Noer Muis. Over in Moscow, Wismoyo was joined by Army Chief of Staff TB Hasanuddin and Air Force Chief of Staff Ali Munsiri Rappe.

When the meeting was over, Wiranto and the officers only smiled and did not reveal what was discussed.

The day ended with images from the Kremlin where Wismoyo and Russian Minister of Defense Yuri Maslyukov are seen signing an agreement on the $1 billion credit to buy weapons in the presence of President of Russia Yevgeny Primakov and Prime Minister of Russia Vladimir Putin. Putin spoke to the press saying that given Russia’s status as an arms exporter, the agreement signed is of a commercial rather than a geopolitical nature and that “no big deal” should be made. When asked how China would react, Putin said that China had nothing to worry about militarily from Indonesia.
...which would ask China why would they scared of Indonesia, is not a big deal...
Back at his hotel, looking exhausted but exhilarated, Wismoyo held a press conference. He announced that as a result of this $1 billion credit the list of weapons systems that he has come to order and/or procure from Russia has necessarily expanded to begin taking advantage of this $1 billion credit. He had arrived in Russia to purchase 24 Mig-29 aircrafts, 12 Sukhoi-30 aircrafts, 40 BMP-3F, and 12 BTR-80s. But now that list, with the approval of the President, has been expanded as follows:

*24 Sukhoi-30 fighter aircrafts
*24 Mig-29 fighter aircrafts
*80 BMP-3F IFVs
*3 Ural-4320 Repairs and Communication Vehicle
*6 BREM-L Armoured Recovery Vehicle
*38 BTR-80 APCs
..well there's that but....(Cutted to avoid repetition of me ranting again about Kuala Lumpur)..unless Hanoi, Bangkok, and Manila decided to do the same, Beijing would still have the upper hand.
---
Over empty plates that have yet to be cleared, the PKPB’s Prabowo Subianto watched the image of Wismoyo taking questions from the press.

“There is something impressive about this that can’t be denied”, began Prabowo “The President just took advantage of how Russia might feel about China wanting to participate only very minimally in Yugoslavia to strengthen our military. We still have a lot to go before we’re as strong as China but what better way for Russia to show some displeasure at China by arming us.”

Across the table, Governor of Lemhanas Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono also watched the television screen.

“On the Western side of things, this won’t reflect well on how Australia looks in front of the United States”, Yudhoyono analyzed “The Australians’ stubborn insistence that we shouldn’t get the 28 F-16s has ended with us turning to the Russians and the Russians giving us more than we expect.”

“What do you suppose the West will do?” asked Prabowo.

The West will throw something our way before the Prime Minister of the Netherlands leaves Jakarta tomorrow; because they don’t want to revisit the 28 F-16s for Australia’s sake but they want to compensate us with something, because they don’t want to just sit by and do nothing as we load up on Russian weapons, because they still need us in the War on Terror, and because actually, we’re doing them a favor by showing them that Russia and China doesn’t agree on everything”, replied Yudhoyono.
Hmm, Canberra selling used C-130E Hercules directly to Indonesia ITTL instead of indirectly to Pakistan via Lockheed Martin IOTL perhaps...but,let's be honest, most probably some C-295s at most.
“The United States on one side, Russia on the other and Indonesia’s the one to take advantage and come out the winner”, Prabowo said “It is a shame that circumstances has placed the President and sister-in-law as opponents.”

The two went silent as the news bulletin went over the day’s events television screen

“My quarrel with him is not with the way he is doing things”, Yudhoyono said at last.

“You’ve kept your head down but being passed over twice for the Army Chief of Staff’s position…that could not have been painless”, replied Prabowo.

Yudhoyono looked down at the table and smiled sourly.

“I am authorized by the Chairwoman of the PKPB to tell you that your talent deserves to be rewarded” said Prabowo “The thing is, she believes that the Army Chief of Staff’s position will be too lowly for you. Perhaps command over ABRI will be more suitable.”
Not enough, it would be probably better for SBY to be chairman of PKPB, he would probably better at handling that position than Tutut probably.
---
Off-screen happenings: Fortuyn doesn't get assassinated and the Pim Fortuyn List doesn't get a boost, the VVD, CDA, and D66 manages to scrape through with a coalition.
Okay, straight to the point,with a first glance at the polls pre-assassination, I honestly thought Balkenende would still be PM even in this scenario (that would perhaps involving a ITTL 2002 results that is more closer to the OTL 2003 elections), but who knows, any Dutch member could perhaps interject in this.
The whole “If Indonesia is fighting separatists is it going to get a military intervention” deal is based on a friend in OTL who studies international relations summing up the NATO bombings of Yugoslavia as “What if Indonesia was fighting GAM and the world’s reaction is to bomb Jakarta or conduct a military intervention?”

These 24 Sukhoi-30 will join the 12 which Soeharto bought in 1997 but which, unlike in OTL where the purchase was cancelled, were actually delivered because of the better economic situation ITTL.
And the Russian would be able to fulfill the order very easily, considering....if you know what I mean.
ITTL, Yudhoyono failed to be Army Chief of Staff twice. The first in 2000 when Luhut was selected over him and in 2002 when TB Hasanuddin was selected over him. Yudhoyono’s unhappiness about not being Army Chief of Staff is based on his OTL reaction when by being named minister in President Wahid’s Cabinet he could not become Army Chief of Staff (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...i+yudhoyono+ksad&pg=PA347&printsec=frontcover)

This mini-saga is going to continue to a Part III Try.
Wait, there is another part...oh ok...

Great update (Let's be honest, I have run out of ways to complement/praised the updates)

215: Indonesia's Stance Part III
25th January 2003:
The morning saw President Try Sutrisno speaking over the phone with Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar. Wismoyo reported that he had arrived in Germany but that the American and British Embassies there are “asking to talk”. Try told Wismoyo to give them some time and deal with them accordingly.

It was after lunch when Prime Minister of Netherlands Hans Dijkstal, accompanied by Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs Jan Peter Balkenende, arrived at the Presidential Palace after a morning spent with the KADIN hailing the Netherlands and Indonesia’s economic ties. Try was accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat as the discussion got underway.

Dijkstal said that he had had a long session the previous evening with President of the United States John McCain, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair, Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello, and Prime Minister of Canada Paul Martin and that he had been asked by the Coalition to convey the Coalition’s response to Indonesia’s stance on the matter of “humanitarian intervention” in Yugoslavia.

Firstly, the Coalition had agreed to Indonesia’s request to abstain on the matter of “humanitarian intervention” in Yugoslavia. The Coalition said that this was on account of the importance of retaining Indonesia’s support on the War on Terror. Special mention was made about Indonesia’s continuing zeal in pursuing Islamic extremism in Indonesia and the assistance which Indonesia has given the Philippines in fighting the Islamic insurgency there (“President Joseph Estrada of the Philippines has put in a good word for you”.

Try nodded in acknowledgment, inwardly happy that McCain got the message.

Secondly, the Coalition agrees that Indonesia’s existing relations with various nations, including with Yugoslavia and its allies, will not be jeopardized as a result of the Coalition’s stance towards Yugoslavia. The Coalition will respect Indonesia’s “free and active” foreign policy and that includes Indonesia’s relationship with Russia and the various aspects of that relationship.

“All four of them are happy with this?” pried Try “Even after what Indonesia agreed with the Russians yesterday?”

“That’s a reality we have to deal with given that the question of the 28 F-16s could not be revisited Mr. President”, said Dijkstal "Though we must draw a line if Indonesia was to cross over from buying weapons to anything resembling an alliance."

Try nodded in satisfaction though there was something disconcerting about the way Dijkstal was smiling; the smile of someone wanting to break some bad news. Thus it was that Dijkstal spoke about the Coalition’s response to the third component of Indonesia’s stance on Yugoslavia.

“A concrete answer cannot be given to Indonesia’s question about whether or not the humanitarian intervention in Yugoslavia constitutes a precedence because we would be dealing with a hypothetical, not an actual, situation”, Dijkstal said.

“It’s an interesting formulation, Mr. President”, said Try trying to keep his tone even “I’m just curious who came up with it.”

“All of the discussions are confidential”, replied Dijkstal politely but firmly.

There was an awkward silence in the room as Try processed the response.

“Actually, Mr. President, I have something to show you”, said Dijkstal “You can call it compensation for not being able to revisit the question of the 28 F-16, your Minister of Defense and Security probably already has a copy.”

Or compensation for not being able to reply whether we will face an international intervention if we’re facing separatists thought Try to himself.

Dijkstal produced a piece of paper and handed it to Try who studied what is being offered.

*Delivery of the 4 Kidd-Class Destroyers to be brought forward, payment installments to be spread out over an increased amount of years.
*4 C-130H Hercules as military aid
*36 M109A6 self-propelled howitzers as military aid
*36 M116 howitzer as military aid
*50 Cadillac Gage armored car as military aid
*30 Scorpion Light Tanks as military aid
*20 Ferret Gage reconnaissance APC as military aid
*2 Type-23 Frigates with a soft loan

The meeting did not last long after that as it was time for Dijkstal to go, Dijkstal saying that the United States is ready to hear from Indonesia once it has made its decision. Try and Dijkstal posed for pictures and held a quick press conference before Dijkstal departed for Halim Perdanakusuma Airport and his flight out of Indonesia.

When Try returned into the Presidential Palace, a gathering had assembled waiting for him; Vice President JB Sumarlin, Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas, Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Wismoyo Arismunandar once again via a secure line from Berlin, Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Tanto Kuswanto, State Minister of National Security Soerjadi, Edi Sudrajat, Commander of ABRI Wiranto, and Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo.

Try spoke first about the three components of Indonesia’s stance on Yugoslavia. There was relief in the room that the first two components were accepted but guffaws when it was said that Indonesia’s concern was hypotheticals. Ari Sudewo said the Coalition were ignoring the question either because they did not have an answer for it or they did not want to commit to something which they considered to be a situation unlikely to happen.

“Should we have pushed for a more definite answer?” asked Ginandjar.

“Not at the moment”, replied Ari “Right now we’re just innocently asking if what’s about to be done in Yugoslavia is a precedent.”

The meeting then discussed the list of weapons which Dijkstal produced and which was made available to Wismoyo in Germany.

“What I want to know is, are there strings attached to this?” asked Try.

“I don’t see strings in this, Mr. President, I only see the this as a reflection of where we have positioned ourselves in relation to them”, replied Ginandjar “We’re still a useful ally to have in the War on Terror and we’re in all but the name the leader in the Southeast Asian region. And while our opinion will differ on Yugoslavia, we haven’t positioned ourselves as an anti-American country the way Bolivia has since Morales came to power last August.”

“There’s also the part where by getting involved in Yugoslavia and while still having the War in Terror in the background, that’s less attention the United States can give to our region and to Asia as a whole and China will have Asia to itself because its participation in Yugoslavia will only be little to minimal”, added Wiranto “Japan and Taiwan will not be reliable until there is a change of government, South Korea’s priority will always be North Korea, India’s priority will always be Pakistan, the only one that seems to be prioritizing China as a threat is us, we’re the ones that has to be beefed up.”

“The British contribution is quite considerable” added Tanto as he went over the list of weapons at hand.

“It is”, said Wismoyo’s voice over the phone “The message I’m getting is that it’s supposed to be a warning shot to the Malaysians about getting too close to China and considering buying Chinese weaponry, like a Type-99 to try and exceed the Leopard 2 coming our way. The frigates are about budget cutbacks, though.”

“The Australians aren’t contributing anything”, Try said with a sour smile.

“That’s to be expected, Mr. President”, said Ginandjar “From their point of view, they don’t want to beef us up when they got various military and peacekeeping commitments in addition to the Yugoslavian intervention they’re about to embark on.”

“There is one invisible string attached, Mr. President” piped in Marzuki.

“How might that be?” asked Ginandjar skeptically.

“Which would look better?” asked Marzuki, ignoring Ginandjar “If we announced our stance on Yugoslavia and then agree to what they’re offering or agree to what they’re offering and then announce our stance on Yugoslavia?”

There was silence in the room as everyone thought through what Marzuki’s asking.

“If we agree to what they’re offering and then announce our stance, it will look like they bought our stance with weapons”, volunteered Wismoyo and there were mutterings of agreement in the room.

“So we have to announce our stance on Yugoslavia first and then agree to what they’re offering”, muttered Try.

“Correct”, said Marzuki.

“Are they doing this on purpose?” asked Edi.

“It’s just the dynamics of the situation, Mr. State Secretary”, replied Ari “There’s no reason for them to force us to declare anything because we’re neither for or against their plans in Yugoslavia.”

“But then again the United States and its coalition’s cause is an unpopular one, they look too much like they’re spoiling for a fight”, said Soerjadi “NATO won’t support an invasion. France and Germany have already spoken out against an invasion. Perhaps in lieu of support, they would be bolstered if a prominent nation from the non-aligned world such as us said something even if it is to say that we won’t get in their way.”

“We must make a decision soon”, replied Wismoyo “We have a whole lot of items being offered as military aid, faster delivery on something we’ve already purchased, and two frigates on very favorable terms. This and the weapons we are purchasing with the Russians will add to our strength.”

“I agree, Mr. President”, added Wiranto.

Sumarlin had kept quiet throughout the whole meeting. He only needed to make eye contact with the President a few times to know what the latter was thinking.

“What you all have said is true and I have determined that we should take the offer being made to us after we have made a statement on Yugoslavia, such a statement should preferably be made within the next week or so”, Try said “I think we should also call for all of the weapons promised to be delivered within 2 years of our agreeing to the offer.”

The meeting ended on that note as the officials began to depart with Ari and Edi hanging back.

“They accepted that we’re abstaining on Yugoslavia and they accepted that we don’t want our relations with Russia to be jeopardized”, Try began “I was hoping we would get something positive on their attack on Yugoslavia not being a precedent if we were to get into a scuffle with separatists. That was the answer I was most anxious to hear."

“It is too early to push on this issue, Mr. President”, said Ari “We don’t want to push to the point that people are asking if we are facing the prospect of separatist action and we don’t want the OPM or GAM, whichever way this information gets to them, to sense that we know that they’re around.”

---
This one was a tricky one to write because I wanted to emphasize the various reasoning and dimensions and calculations why Indonesia got the offer that it did.

The weapons being offered here as aid are some of things that were sold by the US to Taiwan in OTL but couldn’t be in ITTL because Taipei is advocating closer relations to the mainland. You also have two frigates being sold at a discount and with a soft loan by the UK that was sold in OTL to Chile as part of budget cutbacks.