Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

I knew it was a potential POD when I wanted to write a Try-TL but thought it was a messy way to get Try in place as president.
Yeah pls don't, it's too much chaos and would've been very hard to write about without pissing people that have other ideas on what should've happen in that scenario... Combined those 2 will probably affect your health AND WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN😤....

Besides this ATL are WAY more interesting cause we're seeing figures that some of us probably only heard in a one moment and forgot it in the next(our boy J.B.S and the old geezer Arismunandar in particular 😎)... As for the main man Edi, i will never forget those mighty mustache.

SBY too because Edi and the OTL PKPI were part of Yudhoyono's coalition
Sadly only lasted in the first term cause as we all know SBY's second term is where it all begin(the rise of Timur Pradopo, Muhammad Munir, and the old devil himself with initial of G. N. )

Last edited:
Basically Indonesia greatest threat still China. Australia will change their policy after China aggresively building their military and strengthening their economy unless Liu Gan still do not solve internal problem. Remember on OTL Hu Jintao facing great opposition from internal. Uhuk a lot of official from province have problem. He need to tame them with harsh punishment.

Besides this ATL are WAY more interesting cause we're seeing figures that some of us probably only heard in a one moment and forgot it in the next(our boy J.B.S and the old geezer Arismunandar in particular 😎)...
Wismoyo is an interesting one. As Soeharto's brother-in-law so he doesn't get grouped with ABRI Red and White but something didn't go right between him and Soeharto because after his time as Army Chief of Staff finished, he became Chairman of KONI which is clearly not the place to be for someone who people thought had a real chance at succeeding to the presidency.

I do enjoy the aspect of making people become more prominent than their OTL versions. I usually try to make sure that they have a link or interaction with or was in favor of OTL Try. In Sarwono and Siswono's case, they were involved with the formation of the OTL PKPI. In Anthony Salim's case, he was in favor of Try getting a second term as VP. In TB Hasanuddin's case, he was Try's ajudan. In Matori Abdul Djalil's case, he was part of a movement in early 1998 that called on Soeharto not to nominate for president and allow Try to nominate instead (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...ry+Sutrisno+1998&pg=PA143&printsec=frontcover)

I wonder how the political stature of JB Sumarlin is evolving in this TL and how is he perceived among the people in ITTL Indonesia and his reputation in the four parties.

His contribution to Indonesia is far from small and many of his actions are publicly known, so he must have a following among the people even though he is a catholic, as an honest and hard working man focused on improving the life of the ordinary people.

Am I the only one who wishes to see a Sumarlin Presidency?

We are seeing a lot of arms deals, but we are not seeing major developments in the Navy. Apart from warships Indonesia needs a large number of troopships and amphibious warfare ships. What's the use of a large and powerful army of it remains stuck in one island and can't be moved to places where it is needed at will.

Is PKPI+ABRI+most of PPP enough for Try to win the Presidency in the first round in the MPR session?

After Try's election we have to look forward to the 2004 elections in both India and Malaysia.

Would be nice if a certain man from Belitung with a known involvement in quartz business would have a cameo here. I know that he was driven out in 1995, before the PoD, but with the current law enforcement it would be nice if he tried that again.

We are seeing a lot of arms deals, but we are not seeing major developments in the Navy. Apart from warships Indonesia needs a large number of troopships and amphibious warfare ships. What's the use of a large and powerful army of it remains stuck in one island and can't be moved to places where it is needed at will.
I was about to ask the same.

I can guess that given Indonesia economy TTL, sea traffic has increased.

Would be nice if a certain man from Belitung with a known involvement in quartz business would have a cameo here. I know that he was driven out in 1995, before the PoD, but with the current law enforcement it would be nice if he tried that again.
Hmmm....
-On one of his visits back home to Jakarta, Sandiaga recruited Basuki Tjahaja Purnama to work for NTI Resources. A Chinese-Indonesian with an entrepreneurial and mining engineering background, Basuki got sick of dealing with Indonesian bureaucracy. His father told him that his best place was in Indonesia, but Basuki never ceased nursing his desire of moving to Canada. Basuki finally did just that, moving to Canada with his young family to work for NTI Resources in early 1998.
Oh well, best of luck for BTP.

Hmmm....

Oh well, best of luck for BTP.
Yeah, he's one of those who thinks/thought that Try is a continuation of Soeharto. He's still keeping up with developments in Indonesia but whether or not he will come back and get involved based on what he sees of ITTL Indonesia is something that hasn't revealed itself to me.

One person that I am almost certain will not become involved in politics ITTL is a certain furniture businessman from Solo. He might be very happy at being able to send his products quickly across Java on the toll roads (he agrees very strongly with the infrastructure development that has been carried out), but the most political he gets is casting a vote for the PKPI in the voting booth.

One person that I am almost certain will not become involved in politics ITTL is a certain furniture businessman from Solo. He might be very happy at being able to send his products quickly across Java on the toll roads (he agrees very strongly with the infrastructure development that has been carried out), but the most political he gets is casting a vote for the PKPI in the voting booth.
I can see him being a PDI mayor of Solo, but since the ex-Cendana political elite hasn't been tarnished with Habibie, Mega, SBY, and the like I don't see a populist surge that delivered him to power OTL.

I can see him being a PDI mayor of Solo, but since the ex-Cendana political elite hasn't been tarnished with Habibie, Mega, SBY, and the like I don't see a populist surge that delivered him to power OTL.
Depends whether the Surakarta City Assembly (DPRD) would elect him or not. And this is assuming that indirect election is still the norm in 2005.

I wonder how the political stature of JB Sumarlin is evolving in this TL and how is he perceived among the people in ITTL Indonesia and his reputation in the four parties.

For the PKPI as a whole, Sumarlin someone who complements Try very well. For the PKPI's more liberal members, he's someone who moderates Try's military image and this is a strong reason why they support him for a second term as VP.

For the PPP, the more pragmatic members are willing to tolerate him for Try's sake. The more Islamist members are horrified that someone who is not Muslim will succeed to the presidency if something happened to Try.

For the PKPB, Sumarlin is grudgingly respected. He was after all one of Soeharto's longest lasting ministers. The PKPB and Tutut's main grievance with Sumarlin is that he is Try's VP.

For the PNI, he is seen as an economic liberal who sold out the nation to foreign interests and foreign investment.

The Department of Defense and Security and ABRI sees him somewhat warily as someone most likely to get in the way of defense budget increases.

The macroeconomic ministers (Economics and National Development Planning, Finance, and Governor of Bank Indonesia) rely on him to help communicate their ideas and proposals to Try.

He sees himself as making sure that Try remembers that development and growth are the basis of Indonesia becoming more assertive in foreign policy and having more defense spending but ultimately deferring to Try's final decision.

212: Strategic Partners
13th January 2003:
After arriving late at night at Port Louis, Mauritius, President Try Sutrisno spent the morning being officially welcomed by President Anerood Jugnauth and posing for a photo opportunity with Prime Minister Paul Berenger before going on to sit with the other heads of government for the IORA Summit. The IORA Summit was opened by Berenger who singled out Indonesia for lobbying that this summit be held at a head of governmental rather than at a ministerial level.

When his turn came to speak, Try expressed Indonesia’s support for IORA as an international forum that needs to be further developed and IORA’s principles of cooperation in the maritime area. At the same time, cooperation in the maritime area should include maritime security. Pointing to Indonesia’s case, Try asked for recognition of the sealanes it has designated and observance of the various rules and regulations for vessels and aircrafts crossing the sealanes.

After the speeches it was time for lunch and though it was the IORA Summit, after lunch Try found himself in a mini-ASEAN Summit with Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak, Prime Minister of Singapore Goh Chok Tong, and Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra. Goh said that the matter of Indonesia’s sealanes was already settled for Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia in 1998 when it was first approved by International Maritime Organization because the aforementioned nations were consulted as part of the approval process. Thaksin said that Thailand will give support to Indonesia in its quest to gain recognition for its sealanes and the rules and regulations for crossing the sealanes. Najib agreed with Goh and Thaksin’s sentiments, not wanting to be the odd one out in the room and because Malaysia had indeed supported Indonesia’s sealanes. Try thanked them for their support.

The afternoon saw Try and Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita join President of Egypt Hosni Mubarak and Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs Ahmed Maher as well as Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Indian Minister of External Affairs Yashwant Sinha for a three-way talk. Fisheries or maritime issues were the last things discussed here as the three discussed international developments namely the United States and its coalition’s determination to unseat President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic citing human rights abuses and atrocities in its operations in Montenegro in the aftermath of the Montenegrin Presidential Elections as its grounds.

Mubarak said that the list of nations wanting to join the United States’ coalition grows longer and will also set to include Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Mubarak laughed at this saying that in the aftermath of 9/11, it was “the likes” of Saudi Arabia and the UAE who jumped on board Russia’s comments that Islamic nations should not feel pressured to support the War on Terror but that they are taking a different tack now. Vajpayee replied that the Saudis and the Emiratis were always against Yugoslavia with the former providing aid to the Kosovan Liberation Army in 1999 and the latter openly opening the bombings of Yugoslavia in the Kosovo War.

“But perhaps this is the way the multipolar world works now, on one issue you take one side, on other issues you take the other side”, continued Vajpayee “On the War on Terror, the United States needs Egypt and Indonesia because there are those in the Islamic world which are less enthusiastic towards its policies and now in its upcoming war against Yugoslavia, it doesn’t need you two because those very same elements in the Islamic world are now for it.”

“If something can’t be done to stop the United States and its coalition from doing what it wants against Yugoslavia, Mr. Prime Minister, perhaps something could be done about the Russians?” asked Try.

“That’s my inclination, Mr. President”, said Vajpayee “If Russia wishes to assist Yugoslavia militarily, that’s one thing, but we must keep them from becoming any more involved because that would not be a good thing.”

“How do we do that?” asked Try.

“Right now the United States are talking about downgrading relations with Russia as a way of putting pressure on it and encouraging its allies to do the same, I think if that’s what they’re doing, the rest of us must go in the opposite direction and deepen ties with Russia.” replied Vajpayee.

14th January 2003:
The morning’s session included a photo-op session by all the heads of governments at the Caudan Waterfront followed by a walkabout of the area. Try found himself walking with President of South Africa Thabo Mbeki who was quite proud of the IORA and told the tale of how IORA was formed to Try. Unexpectedly, a thought crossed Try’s mind.

“How is Xanana Gusmao doing?” asked Try referring to the pro-Independence East Timorese leader who had been living in exile in South Africa since 1999.

“I don’t really have a lot to do with him, he’s pretty much under my predecessor’s protection and watch”, replied Mbeki referring to Nelson Mandela “You'd do well if you can get a look inside Mozambique, if I'm not mistaken that country plays hosts to some of Xanana's comrades.”

At this point, Try made eye contact with President of Mozambique Joaquim Chissano. Other than a formal nod that Chissano gave at that moment, Try had not had any meaningful interaction with him.

Try also got the chance to meet with President of Madagascar Didier Ratsiraka who had recently been re-elected. Speaking informally Try and Ratsiraka agreed that once all “the political dust has settled in Indonesia” that the two should meet and visit each other; the ancestors of Madagascans having migrated from what now became Indonesia.

As they walked over around the waterfront, Try found himself walking alongside President of Iran Mohammad Khatami. Khatami said that Iran would take its own independent stance as regards the United States’ intention to attack at Yugoslavia. That Iran would stand ready to condemn the United States and its coalition when it launches its military strike against Yugoslavia whilst at the same time calling on President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic to prove that he is not committing human rights violations in Montenegro at the present time. Apart from discussion on current international affairs, Try confirmed to Khatami that Indonesia would attend the D-8 Summit held in Tehran in February.

Try also shook hands with Vajpayee with the latter saying that he will see Try again soon and Try responding that “everything will be finalized” by the time they meet again.

The summit came to an end that noon. A communique was passed by the summit promising to deepen cooperation in the field of fisheries and agreeing that Oman will hold the next summit in 2005. But there was no statement declaring acknowledgment of Indonesia’s sealanes or pledging observance to the regulations Indonesia had set down for the sealanes. As Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Tanto Kuswanto was to report to Try, the agreement was not yet unanimous. When Ginandjar asked who had not wanted to give their acknowledgment, Tanto said that the Australian delegation, led by a bureaucrat rather than Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello because he had to visit the United States, had received instructions not to give their agreement on the grounds that the designation of sealanes by Indonesia was of a partial nature only and that it still had to be completed. Australia maintains that until the sealanes has been completely designated, vessels should be able to travel freely throughout the archipelago.

“Let’s for the moment forget that it’s Australia making the objection and focus on whether or not they have a point, and that if they do we have to work on that”, said Try.

As the meeting broke up, Ginandjar somewhat apologetically said that they were due to meet Costello at the summit but that he had cancelled at the last minute. State Secretary Edi Sudrajat that this was “Australia’s loss”.

There was a farewell call to both Jugnauth and Berenger at the State House. The two were apologetic that Indonesia’s sealanes were not recognized with Berenger suggesting that it would be better on such issues that agreement within the organization be unanimous so that Indonesia’s claim outside of IORA would be on stronger ground. Try only smiled at Mauritius’ attempt at consolation.

Where the Mauritians were more prideful was when they discussed the stance they had taken against extremism. Jugnauth and Berenger said that they felt able to take a strong stance on Islamic extremism because of Indonesia’s stance but good-naturedly joked that Indonesia’s the one that has to catch up because Mauritius had signed an Anti-Terrorism Law but Indonesia had not.

Having said his farewells, Try and the Indonesian delegation headed to the Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport and the flight to their next destination.

15th January 2003:
The Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi, India provided the backdrop as Try was given an official welcome by APJ Abdul Kalam. Try had arrived the previous night and there was only enough time to rest before he got on with activity. From the Rashtrapati Bhavan, Try’s next stop was the Panchavati, the Prime Minister’s residence, where he was welcomed warmly by Vajpayee. Try was accompanied by Ginandjar and Edi while Vajpayee was accompanied by Sinha as they resumed their conversation from the IORA Summit about the United States’ upcoming invasion of Yugoslavia.

Vajpayee reiterated his point that Russia most not be made to feel isolated so that it would keep its involvement in the war limited to giving Yugoslavia military aid and not be tempted to participate directly. On a practical level, Vajpayee argued, this is where a BRICI already established would come in handy and provide Russia with economic partners. Ginandjar said that he believes that Russia will not be isolated saying France and Germany does not approve of the United States’ intention to remove Milosevic by military means and Japan taking a stance more independent from the United States.

Sinha said that he attended the inauguration of President of Brazil Roseana Sarney a few weeks ago and said that Sarney intends to hold an informal BRICI meeting in April or May. The twist, Sinha reported, came from the Chinese who said that as long as BRICI is an informal organization it was all right sitting down with Indonesia but that it would not want to be involved with BRICI as a formal organization if Indonesia will be in it. The reason cited was Indonesia’s “continual boycott” of China at the ASEAN+3. Try chuckled at this.

The men in the room continued to talk about China with Try asking Vajpayee about what China’s stance would be in the upcoming war in Yugoslavia. Vajpayee said that India’s Russian sources are indicating that China would only give non-military aid to Yugoslavia and that China is taking this stance on account of wanting to focus on economic development, especially its recent coal contract with Australia. Ginandjar said that this confirms the news Indonesia has been getting through Vietnam. Try rubbed his chin.

“How has Russia responded to this, Mr. Prime Minister?” asked Try.

“I think they are starting to realize that in this relationship they’re not the leader much less the senior partner and that they can’t push China around”, replied Vajpayee “China’s trying to soften the blow, saying that Sino-Russian cooperation to build a multipolar world will continue, that they will continue to work together to support Congo’s Kabila in the war still ongoing in Africa and also saying that they will defer to Russia in Central Asia because China’s interests and desire to increase influence is in East, South and Southeast Asia. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this last piece of information is significant for our two nations.”

16th January 2003:
Breakfast was a conference at the hotel with ministers who had joined Try in India. In addition to Ginandjar and Edi, there was also Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo, Minister of Mining and Energy Djiteng Marsudi, Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja, State Minister of State-Owned Enterprises Cacuk Sudarijanto, and Head of the BKPM Mari Pangestu. It was a meeting, as Edi told the press afterwards, to make sure everything was in order.

This delegation then departed for the South Block of the Secretariat Building where the Prime Minister’s Office was located. Vajpayee was there with his cabinet though the pride of place went to Sinha as well as Deputy Prime Minister/Minister of Home Affairs LK Advani, Minister of Finance Jaswant Singh, Minister of Defence George Fernandes, Minister of Commerce and Industry Arun Shourie, Minister of Civil Aviation Syed Syahnawaz Hussein, and Minister of Coal Uma Bharti.

Both set of ministers looked solemn as a ceremony got underway. Try and Vajpayee sat at a table with the Indonesian and Indian flags behind them as they signed various agreements which included the following:

*Indonesia and India to accord each other with the status of strategic partnership. Annual ministerial meetings to be held at a minimal between both nations’ ministers of foreign affairs and defense.

*Indonesia to direct and facilitate coal operations within in its territory to export coal to India, India to prioritize the import of Indonesian coal when fulfilling its domestic demand.

*India to facilitate access to the Indian market for Indonesian FMCGs, Indonesian FMCG producer Mayora to open a factory in Indonesia.

*Indonesia to facilitate and accelerate implementation of the Indian Government’s existing MOU to construct an 500,000 tonnes Aluminum Smelter and accompanying 1,250 MW power plant in Kalimantan.

*Both nations’ flag-carriers to establish Jakarta-New Delhi and New Delhi-Jakarta routes first on a codesharing agreement and then adjusting based on demand.

There was a loud standing applause in the room by both sets of ministers when Try and Vajpayee shook hands with each other and handed each other the leather folder containing the papers they have signed. Speeches followed with Vajpayee saying that establishing a strategic partnership was a momentous occasion for both nations. Though profusely thanking Try, Vajpayee made special mention of Ginandjar’s work in “making what we’re all seeing here today work”.

“He’s not a PKPI member, he’s gone to a PKPB event and received a warm welcome, we don’t know his intentions, we’re less than 2 months away from the MPR Session, and he’s been singled out for praise by a foreign leader”, said Siswono.

“We’ll deal with him when we have to deal with him”, said Edi.

At the joint press conference, Vajpayee was asked whether coal was Indonesia’s way of repaying India for allowing Shwe Mann and his followers to transit through India en route to Indonesia. Vajpayee brushed it off.

“India and Indonesia have had our share of bumps, President Try and I have had our share of bumps, I mean he told us he wasn’t too happy that we had nuclear capability when we first met”, Vajpayee said “But I believe we can overcome that.”

The tricky question Try had to deal with was whether the establishment of a strategic partnership with India is “directed against any other country”.

“India has a population of over a billion, it’s going to be an economic powerhouse and as its demand for coal grows, Indonesia is keen to secure that supply for them because that’s our fuel for more economic growth so of course I’m not directing this strategic partnership against anyone, I’m simply doing what’s best for my country and what’s in its best interests”, Try said as though India is the only nation of over a billion in population destined to be an economic powerhouse on the planet.

---
The first OTL IORA Summit was not until 2017 in Jakarta.

On Australia viewing Indonesia’s three north-south SLOCs as “incomplete”: https://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/semaphore-06-05

I think Indonesia-India relations is a bit neglected in OTL. As an example, the MoU to build aluminum smelter mentioned above was signed in 1998/1999 (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...o+indonesia+1999&pg=PA100&printsec=frontcover), but in 2016 this is still just talk (https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...ium-smelter/articleshow/52204096.cms?from=mdr) . Hopefully in ITTL, things will be better for this smelter and various aspects of Indonesia-India relations because of the strategic value the two nations have placed in each other.

On Try not looking with approval at India having nuclear weapons in 1998: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ry-sutrisno-1997.425151/page-12#post-19091706

Whelp, going assertive in the Indian Ocean? Interesting development.
But there was no statement declaring acknowledgment of Indonesia’s sealanes or pledging observance to the regulations Indonesia had set down for the sealanes. As Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Tanto Kuswanto was to report to Try, the agreement was not yet unanimous. When Ginandjar asked who had not wanted to give their acknowledgment, Tanto said that the Australian delegation, led by a bureaucrat rather than Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello because he had to visit the United States, had received instructions not to give their agreement on the grounds that the designation of sealanes by Indonesia was of a partial nature only and that it still had to be completed. Australia maintains that until the sealanes has been completely designated, vessels should be able to travel freely throughout the archipelago.
Australia wants to play the multipolar game too, huh? Watch out for the more militaristic China, maybe Russia-Indonesia-India would ended up as allies against China-Australia-Pakistan.
Though profusely thanking Try, Vajpayee made special mention of Ginandjar’s work in “making what we’re all seeing here today work”.

“He’s not a PKPI member, he’s gone to a PKPB event and received a warm welcome, we don’t know his intentions, we’re less than 2 months away from the MPR Session, and he’s been singled out for praise by a foreign leader”, said Siswono.

“We’ll deal with him when we have to deal with him”, said Edi.
And i hope that time would never come, would be a waste if Akbar Tandjung failed to save the day.
*India to facilitate access to the Indian market for Indonesian FMCGs, Indonesian FMCG producer Mayora to open a factory in Indonesia.
You meant by "a factory in India", right? Just checked the wiki to confirm that Mayora is Indonesian. *shrugs

Great post. Definitely this is a response to roos coal agreement with China.

Now regarding the strategic partnership, FMCG agreements are definetly a win-win. Perhaps this will stimulate trade between Sumatra and Andaman. Also its an interesting development the aluminium smelter. Not between the 10 biggest smelters in the world but its an important tonnage, and probably with capacity for expansion.

Last edited:
Woo hoo thanks for the update

With Thailand is all over the news lately... I can't wait to see how Indonesia's chief Lt. will fare after it's 2006 debacle(if it still happen at least)

India, Japan, Indonesia, and South Korea will make great major block for protection against China aggressive movements on economy and military. India can be seen as leadership face against ongoing China agressive movement

Last edited:
India, Japan, Indonesia, and South Korea will make great major block for protection against China aggressive movements on economy and military. India can be seen as leadership face against ongoing China agressive movement
And the best thing about it. This India are not yet(hopefully not gonna be) rule by BJP so there's no moral dilemma on supporting one devil against another