Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

What do you think of Philippines? They already sport a US military base and are arguably a frontline state against China and with Disputes in the South China Sea. Well the nomenclature would be Hexagonal for six or Heptagonal for seven.
I'm of the opinion that the Philippines will be closer to the West but would not openly side with it. In OTL since the early 2000s Manila has Flip-flopped almost every two years between the USA and China (recently also India). The Phillippine economy is strongly linked to China but not as heavily as South Korea.
Il-78 is quite understandable but for the Su-33 and so many Tu-22M3s the production lines would have to be restarted and it would cost quite a lot. Also at this point Chinese Technology is not so advanced and they have antagonized Russia by reverse engineering the Su-27 so technology transfer would only come after large minimum orders. The Su-35 deal OTL involving only 36 aircraft was quite controversial as they wanted to sell a minimum of 72 and got intellectual rights reserved.
Both the Su-33 and Tu-22M3s proposals were from OTL.
I can see problems with the Su-33 since as stated in Wikipedia: "China has sought to purchase Su-33s from Russia on several occasions — an unsuccessful offer was made as late as March 2009[8] — but negotiations collapsed in 2006 after it was discovered that China had developed a modified version[9][10][11] of the Sukhoi Su-27SK designated the Shenyang J-11B,[12][13] in violation of intellectual property agreements.[1] However, according to Chinese sources, the reason China withdrew from talks is that Russia wanted large payments to re-open Su-33 production lines, insisting on a Chinese purchase of at least 50 Su-33s, towards which China was reluctant as it believed the aircraft would become outdated in a few years. China hence decided on an indigenous variant instead of continuing to assemble the J-11, the licensed Chinese version of Su-27." If the Chinese are pressed to develop their navy faster and somewhat earlier than in OTL it is not that unreasonable for them to agree to the Russian proposal since in the end in OTL the PLAA stayed true to its commitment and ordered 50 J-15s.

But with regards to the Tu-22M3s, it was the Russian that refused not to anger the West. 36 bombers are not that much compared to the 200+ H-6 in service with the PLAA even if represent a very significant improvement in capabilities. "In January 2013 reports emerged that China had signed a purchase agreement for the production and delivery of 36 Tu-22M3s, under the Chinese designation of H-10, with many components to be manufactured domestically in China under a technology transfer agreement with Russia and Tupolev. Sales of the Russian-built Raduga Kh-22 long-range anti-ship missile and the fleet's intended use as a maritime strike platform have also been speculated upon.[56]" The Russians can always agree to the technological transfer in exchange for help in modernizing their production lines and shipyards...
If Russia sells military hardware to Pakistan then they would lose India in the long run. Since the 60s India has raised a huge hue and cry every time there has been even rumors of the Russians selling military hardware to Pakistan and it has been their long standing policy to retain their largest and stable market. India is already buying as many T-90s as possible and if ITTL they have a better economy then more are possible but likely more funds are diverted to the indigenous Arjun tank.
I thought that maybe some Mil MI-24 and Mil MI-28 could be bought by Pakistan
@Marco Rivignani regarding Russia and China's relationship. How would China react if India bought weapons from Russia? Considering India is more likely to be hostile to China.
I know that it may sound strange but it is buying even more Russian equipment in the short to mid-term and focusing on the development of indigenous platforms. After the Tiananmen Square protests, the only country that decided to continue to trade military equipment with China were Russia and Ukraine and the latter had already sold pretty much everything the Chinese wanted before the year 2000: the hull of the Varyag/ Liaoning aircraft carrier, some missile and engine technology, one Su-33 prototype, one IL-78 tanker. The only major contract that was signed with Ukraine after that date was when in 2009 China order 4 Zubr-class hovercrafts. This leaves Russia as the only major country that was and is willing to sell huge amounts of weaponry to China and so in the midterm (read the mid to late 2010s) the only thing the PRC can do is to stay in the good graces of Primakov/ Putin.

The only thing I can see the Chinese do to buster somewhat their sealift capability is to also buy the original Ukrainian Zubr-class hovercraft that were decommissioned before 2000 or sold to Greece (I see no reason for the fate of the Russian Zubrs to change ITTL):
  • Donetsk (U420, former MDK-100) — decommissioned on 11 June 1999, scrapped
  • Kramatorsk (U422, former MDK-57) — decommissioned on 11 June 1999, scrapped
  • Horlivka (U423, former MDK-93) — decommissioned on 29 November 2000, scrapped
  • Artemivsk (U424, former MDK-123) — sold to Greece on 24 January 2000

175: The End of the Campaign
13th May 2002 (Day 27 of the Election Campaign):
Within hours of Prime Minister of Japan Taro Aso’s departure, the focus in Indonesia was back on domestic politics. At Taman Mini Indonesia Indah’s Sasono Langen Budoyo Building, the PKPB’s top functionaries, DPR members and candidates as well as supporters gathered. Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani and Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung, Vice Chairman of the DPR Theo Sambuaga and Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Hartono. There were the PKPB’s DPR members and DPR candidates. Among the special guests were former Vice President Sudharmono, as well as businessmenBob Hasan, Sudwikatmono, and Prajogo Pangestu. The Soeharto family also gathered to show their support.

The star that night was Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto who delivered the keynote address. Tutut tried a different tack in this speech, rather than say that the current government had departed from the “correct policies” of President Soeharto, Tutut tried to highlight the ways the current government was similar to the one that her father had led as prove that her. Tutut pointed to the continuing press controls, the continuing quest for rice self-sufficiency even as the government wants to increase sago production, and the continuing policy of family planning.

“The current cabinet is known as the Seventh Development Cabinet, a continuation of President Soeharto’s development cabinets. The government continues with Repelita VII and adopts the view that after Repelita X, the goal would be a Fair and Prosperous Society based on Pancasila, a goal that was outlined by President Soeharto in 1971”, said Tutut “There are no substantial differences in the policies pursued by the current government and that led by President Soeharto, any success the government has achieved can be attributed to the fact that they are continuing with a proven and working formula.”

Regarding herself, Tutut said that in her adult life she had focused on three things: her husband and children, her business career, and her philanthrophy. She had not thought about serving the nation, not even when her father asked her twice, in 1988 and 1993, to be a minister in his cabinet. Tutut had rejected her father’s offer then saying that Soeharto would be accused of nepotism and that it was better for her to serve the country in her private capacity.

“But then my father passed away and as I thought of all the great things that he has done for this country, I realized the possibilities of all the good things that I can do as a holder of a state office rather than just as a private citizen. This was why I decided to run for president at the 1998 MPR General Session. It was rash, it was rushed, and I was not ready and this was why I had lost.

But this time it will be different. This time I have thought about things carefully, this time I have moved steadily, and this time I am ready. I call on you, my fellow Indonesians, to support the PKPB at this upcoming election. Insya Allah, with your support, the PKPB can represent the aspirations of the Indonesian people and next year, at the 2003 MPR General Session, I can try again to achieve what I failed to achieve at the 1998 MPR General Session…”

There were cheers and chants of “Tutut for President!” as Tutut completed her speech. Observers would say that Tutut more than made up for her “rant” against the media coverage of the President during the election campaign.

When the room quietened down, the spotlight on the stage shone down on Titiek Puspa, a singer who had been singing in the 60s. She solemnly sang about thanking the Almighty for all the gifts that He has bestowed on the nation though that was not the point of the song.

“You have created a Father figure to lead this beloved nation.
His charisma, his smile, brings a cheer to Indonesia’s face.

To you, our Father Soeharto, all the people give thanks.
We stand alert behind you, for the glory of Indonesia.

To you, our Father Soeharto, all the people give thanks.
We give the title of Indonesia’s Father of Development!”

No airlift or sealift conducted.

14th May 2002 (Day 28 of the Election Campaign):
It was the second last day of the campaign as candidates, supporters, and officials alike returned to Jakarta. Chairman of the DPR Harmoko was at last back in Jakarta again after consecutive days campaigning across the nation’s rural areas.

For all intents and purposes, the PKPB’s campaign was seen to have wrapped up the previous night. Now it was the others’ turn.

Though cash-strapped, the PNI made one last gasp buying advertising on the nation’s major newspapers. The ad was in response to Tutut’s speech the previous night highlighting the similarities between Soeharto and Try’s government and reads as follows:

“It’s official: There’s no difference at all between Try Sutrisno and Soeharto
Vote for Real Change on 21st May 2002, Vote for the PNI”

Chairman of the PPP Matori Abdul Djalil had a difficult day. Shuttling back and forth between the Jakarta houses of Chairman of the NU Abdurrahman Wahid and Chairman of the Muhammadiyah Amien Rais, Matori was trying to secure a joint statement from the heads of the two largest Islamic organizations in Indonesia calling on their respective members to vote for the PPP. Amien Rais said that he had no problem making such a statement, Wahid on the other hand on a different matter.

Matori’s heart sank when Wahid said that he would face internal resistance if he was to explicitly direct NU members to vote for the PPP because that would be seen as violating the Khittah 1926, a charter which stated that NU would withdraw from party politics and focus on being a social-religious organization. Those who resisted Wahid, led by KH Achmad Siddiq, were not neccesarily hostile to the government or the PKPI, but just wanted to remind him of the Khittah 1926. Matori, himself an NU member, that Wahid would be able to find a way to get around the Khittah 1926.

Wahid said that while he could “get away” with supporting the President and his government on the grounds that what the government is in-line with NU’s goals, explicit directions for NU members to vote a certain way in an election would be intolerable. Last but not least, Wahid also pointed to his own role in formulating the Khittah 1926 which made it difficult for him to openly direct NU members to vote for the PPP.

Thus it was that the PPP’s 2002 Election Campaign ended in rancor. In a private meeting, a shouting match ensued between Matori and Chairman of the PPP National Campaign Hamzah Haz saying that they continued to leak support. Matori asked Hamzah what is the PPP looking at in terms of DPR seats, Hamzah only replied that it will not be the 89 seats that they have now. The only thing they could agree on, because both are NU members, is that there was no need for Amien Rias to make a statement calling for Muhammadiyah members to vote for the PPP because that would give him when it comes for the “division of spoils”.

At the Presidential Palace, President Try Sutrisno and Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita were monitoring a situation coming out of India. Three terrorists, strongly suspected of being Pakistani, boarded a bus and then proceeded to kill and wound the passengers on that bus as it arrived at Kaluchak in the Jammu and Kashmir. Ginandjar tried to get in contact with Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaswant Singh while the President tried to get in contact with Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Both failed, the people they were trying to reach understandably being busy. The only clear information they got was that the stand-off between India and Pakistan will heat up again.

“24 hours ago, the second largest economy in the world wants to use us as a counterweight to China and now we’re on the outside looking in”, the President muttered to State Secretary Edi Sudrajat “We still have some ways to go as far as prominence is concerned.”

But the President did get some news from India though not from the Indian Government. No sooner had Ginandjar left than Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo arrived looking out of breath. He reported that very night, Shwe Mann’s safehouse in Kolkata was attacked tonight, a few of his bodyguards were wounded and or shot dead, but all the attackers were in turn shot dead themselves by Shwe Mann’s bodyguards in a firefight. Shwe Mann himself is safe.

“This is good news, right?” asked the President.

“Not exactly, Mr. President”, said Ari “When the bodies of the attackers were examined, they were positively identified as Myanmar Intelligence operatives.”

The President’s eyes widened at this.

“Myanmar knows Shwe Mann is in India and it will know for certain when their operatives go missing”, said Ari.

Bodyguards at Shwe Mann’s safehouse shot dead.

15th May 2002 (Final Day of the Campaign):
It was a day filled with tension. Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee rose in the Lok Sabha and said that India will have to respond this incident prompting Ginandjar Kartasasmita to issue a statement on behalf of the Indonesian government calling for restraint.

The President had a meeting with Commander of ABRI Wiranto, Ari Sudewo, Edi Sudrajat, and Chief of the ABRI Intelligence Agency Ian Santoso Perdanakusuma. Ari Sudewo reported that in the days leading to the attack, the safehouse’s bodyguards had reported that it “seemed” there were people putting them under surveillance and that they had evacuated Shwe Mann and his family to another safehouse prior to the attack as a precaution.

“How and when do you think they found out?” asked the President.

“Lots of possibilities, Mr. President”, said Ari “They interrogated, likely tortured, someone related to the evacuees back in Myanmar to get the information; whether or not they have picked up on the movements of our aircrafts or our ships and have used it as part of their intelligence-gathering, I am not sure. What it looks like to me is that they have kept quiet to keep us from knowing that they're digging around and getting closer. Khin Nyunt’s background is in intelligence after all.”

The President massaged his palm but Ari was not finished.

“From inside the country, the presence of the evacuees are beginning to be noticed at least by locals”, Ari said “Personnel and their families living in Army barracks are perhaps more reliable when it comes to being discrete but people living around the Army barracks are beginning to notice, transmigrants living in transmigration settlements and people living around transmigration settlements are beginning to notice, just who are these people who are staying with them and aren’t speaking a word of Indonesian.”

“Have they reported to the local authorities about this?” asked the President.

“Some have, Mr. President”, said Wiranto “And ABRI’s essentially given instructions to local Police and military units to buy time by saying that they’re conducting an investigation etc. etc. but ultimately this will be a stopgap measure.”

The President looked at a spot in the wall.

“How many are left to be evacuated?” he asked.

“12,298, Mr. President”, replied Wiranto.

“Okay then”, said the President “Within 3 x 24 hours, all of those people need to have departed India.”

By mid-afternoon, a large crowd was gathering and assembling at Senayan Stadium whether by car, bus, or MRT. They numbered around 100,000 all of them wearing or bringing PKPI Paraphernalia. It was a weekday so they had either taken leave that day or left work early. Inside the stadium, a large stage had been built in the middle of the field and on the big screen the writing “The PKPI Campaign Rally” played over and over again.

The rally began with singing and entertainment by various artists who supported the President and the PKPI’s cause. Among them was P Project singing “Queue At The Ticket Counter”, which was sung to the tune by All 4 One’s “I Can Love You Like That” but which had become a theme song of the National Discipline Movement, one of which visible achievements have been Indonesians being visibly more orderly when queueing.

The highlight as far as entertainment was concerned came from Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman who got the crowd singing along with him with the song he had been singing all over Indonesia on the campaign trail:

“Not all m-e-e-e-nnnnn have wronged you,
Take me as an example, I want to love you.”

And so it went. Chairman of the DPR Harmoko got a big applause though he was not able to address the crowd because his voice had finally gave out after weeks of campaigning.

It was Vice President JB Sumarlin, making his first campaign appearance, who stole the show. Highlighting the 10-year moratorium on debt repayments the government secured was an opportunity that had to be managed properly if it was to be benefit the entire nation not something to be taken for granted or mismanaged. This election, Sumarlin argued, was about picking the right party to support the government manage the extra funds properly.

“How the government manages the extra funds from not having to pay back debt for 10 years, this determines how much trade will be facilitated from all the new roads being built, how much extra production capacity there will be from electricity generators and factories and smelters being constructed, and how much more schools and hospitals are built to give our fellow Indonesians opportunity at an education and quality health treatment. This is not a task to be entrusted to those whose vision for the future is “I will just do what my father has done in the past””, said Sumarlin to a loud reaction and a wry smile from Try.

Sumarlin then concluded by calling for voters around Indonesia to cast their ballot for the PKPI so that they can re-elect the President at the MPR session.

“And re-elect you too!” said a voice from the crowd, prompting cheers and chants of “Sumarlin, Sumarlin, Sumarlin!” to start in the stadium. Sumarlin only flushed.

When Try appeared, cheers of “Five more years! Five more years! Five more years!” greeted him and shook the stadium.

Try spoke about what the government had achieved and achievements that were possible in the future. He of course made the call for voters to vote for the PKPI though, being fully aware of Matori’s situation, he also called for voters to vote for the PPP if they are so inclined. Though the crowd was enthusiastic, though the officials sitting on the front row cheered him on, for whatever reason Try could not absorb the energy around him. When he completed his speech, Try knew that it was not as good as he would have liked.

That night, Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas held a press conference reminding that as of midnight that night, the election campaign will come to an end and there will be a quiet period over the next few days, after which there will be the Election Day itself which falls on 21st May 2002. All political parties, all candidates, and all supporters are to cease campaigning, there are to be no more advertising advocating voting for a political party on all medias, and no more production or distribution of campaign merchandise.

---
On Abdurrahman Wahid, NU, and the Khittah 1926: https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...Khittah+of+1926"&pg=PA138&printsec=frontcover

For the purposes of the TL, it basically means the PPP is screwed.

"The Father Development" song sung after Tutut makes her speech:

"Not All Men" sung by Basofi Sudirman:

Tutut tried a different tack in this speech, rather than say that the current government had departed from the “correct policies” of President Soeharto, Tutut tried to highlight the ways the current government was similar to the one that her father had led as prove that her.
It seems that some words are missing

Last edited:
Pfft Titik Puspa as one of the most succesful mistress in Indonesia. She succeed conceal her sexual relationship with Suharto.

“How the government manages the extra funds from not having to pay back debt for 10 years, this determines how much trade will be facilitated from all the new roads being built, how much extra production capacity there will be from electricity generators and factories and smelters being constructed, and how much more schools and hospitals are built to give our fellow Indonesians opportunity at an education and quality health treatment. This is not a task to be entrusted to those whose vision for the future is “I will just do what my father has done in the past””
Jesus, eviscerating both Tutut and Mega in a single sentence. Respekt.

P.S. Is it just me or is 3x24 hours a uniquely Indonesian way to describe a passage of time ?

Wow havent heard that. The big one people talk about was always RE aka dede yusuf’s mom
I agree. By all accounts, Titiek Puspa seems to be a fan of both Soeharto and Ibu Tien.

Jesus, eviscerating both Tutut and Mega in a single sentence. Respekt.

P.S. Is it just me or is 3x24 hours a uniquely Indonesian way to describe a passage of time ?
Sumarlin ftw.

I have Tutut and Mega acting like that ITTL (constantly referrring to their fathers’ achievement and ideology) because in OTL, they do reference their fathers a lot as far as ideas and vision for the nation are concerned.

Yeah, you’re right about the 3 x 24 hours😂. I thought it was a universal thing rather an Indonesian thing.

EDIT- What is your opinion on joint arms development between India Indonesia and the other South East Asian Countries?

Still feeling my way along with this one. Probably the next thing involving the Jakarta Bloc/ASEAN is going to be defining the parameters of the relationship between Indonesia and the SE Asian nations. Is it going to be like NATO or the Warsaw Pact or what? Economically will it be like the EU or like something else?

Still feeling my way along with this one. Probably the next thing involving the Jakarta Bloc/ASEAN is going to be defining the parameters of the relationship between Indonesia and the SE Asian nations. Is it going to be like NATO or the Warsaw Pact or what? Economically will it be like the EU or like something else?
SE nations probably would take anything that benefits the economy which roughly might be like the EU model (the open border and open market and stuff) short of currency and diplomatic unity (I highly doubt that even tho Jakarta bloc is united on its stance. They wouldn’t have any form of political unity like EU)
For military well, I find it hard to see some NATO esque form of unity. But, an alliance should be manageable, maybe create another written agreement for it (a DCA) or create a joint training or operations in hopes it would make each other’s military closer in relationship and to give more the united stance of security in the region. The biggest one might be a joint procurement program (such as purchasing fighter or ships) but it would be hard since nations like Vietnam is more lenient to buy Russian equipment while Philippines and Thailand is more towards western equipment (Indonesia is quite convenient for they able to pick either side but a change of this is expected in the future)

176: Of Evacuations and Elections
16th May 2002:
While political party billboards, advertising, and are taken down in Jakarta and around Indonesia, President Try Sutrisno and Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita took a phonecall from Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaswant Singh. Vajpayee was not so much interested in talking about how India was going to avoid going to possible war with Pakistan in the aftermath of what was being called the Kaluchak Masscare as he was talking about something else.

“Russia has offered to mediate on our behalf and Pakistan’s Aziz Khan have asked your friends the Chinese to get involved in the mediation” said Singh “And the Chinese have an interesting condition for mediating: the release of Shwe Mann and his men back into Myanmarian custody. It is clear to us that the People’s Republic of China is aware of your efforts to evacuate them to Indonesia.”

“President Try, our attitudes towards the People’s Republic of China not withstanding, of course I don’t need to tell you that India’s interests must take precedence in this situation”, said Vajpayee.

“I understand your position, Mr. Prime Minister and we are doing our utmost to get them out of India”, pleaded the President “But we must ask you that you cannot allow China to dictate its terms of getting involved.”

“Do we have a choice considering they’re the key to getting the Pakistanis sitting at the table?” asked Jaswant.

“If India cooperates with China’s demand, then it will be cooperating with a country whose ally had recently conducted a covert operation on Indian soil”, said Ginandjar before he told Vajpayee and Singh of the raid on Shwe Mann’s safehouse. There were exclamations from the Indian end of the call at that. Ginandjar said that the Indonesian Embassy in Delhi will deliver the “photographs of the raid’s aftermath” to the Indian Government. Singh said that the Indian Government will look forward to seeing the photographs.

That afternoon, the President sat down with Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja, State Minister of State-Owned Enterprises Cacuk Sudarijanto, State Secretary Edi Sudrajat, Commander of ABRI Wiranto, Army Chief of Staff TB Hasanuddin, Navy Chief of Staff Djoko Sumaryono, Air Force Chief of Staff Ali Munsiri Rappe, and Chief of Police Ansyaad Mbai.

The meeting listened to preparations being made for the evacuation of the remaining evacuees. For the sealift component of the operation, Djoko Sumaryono said that the Navy’s Kolinlamil will be contributing KRI Teluk Amboina (capacity 610) while Soerjadi Soedirja and Cacuk Sudarijanto said that they have already issued an announcement that Pelni’s KM Kambuna (capacity 2000) will be “down for maintenance” to help with the evacuation effort. The two additional ships have already departed for Kolkata.

For the airlift component, airlifts are resuming again today. Rappe said that 4 non-long bodied C-130s (capacity 92 each) are being prepared to participate as well. Cacuk said that 3 Garuda Indonesia aircrafts (capacity 295 each) have been made available.

“I approve of all this, move as quickly as you can, and while you should try to move as covertly as possible, the secrecy of what we are doing is breaking down as we speak”, said the President “It won’t be long before I address the nation on this.”

The 6 long-bodied C-130s plus the 4 normal-sized C-130s are in action today, all making 1 round trip each to Kolkata and back.

17th May 2002:
Though Russia and China had tried to position themselves as co-mediators in the current stand-off between India and Pakistan without involving the United States citing the urgency of the situation, India confronted China with evidence that Myanmar had conducted a secret operation on Indian soil and that by asking for India to hand over “certain Myanmarians”, this shows that China supported this operation. China was taken aback but continued to claim that Pakistan wanted their involvement in the mediation though even Russia had to admit that China placed themselves in an awkward position supporting this “Myanmarian operation”. India then “backed down” and said that China can continue to be involved because Pakistan wanted their involvement, provided that the United States be included once again in the mediation. China, with Russia telling it that it was difficult to reject India’s request, accepted.

Having gotten off the phone to give acceptance to India’s request that the United States be involved in the mediation, President of China Jiang Zemin called the Chairman of the SPDC Khin Nyunt to tell the latter that the raid on Shwe Mann’s safehouse had failed. Jiang tells Khin Nyunt not to try “anything silly” with India while China is involved with mediation efforts between India and Pakistan.

At Friday prayer, the President smiled when Ginandjar reported that India had used the information about the raid on Shwe Mann’s safehouse to get China and Russia to agree to the United States being involved in mediation. The blessing in disguise of Khin Nyunt’s attempt on Shwe Mann’s life and China’s support for Myanmar, both the President and Ginandjar agreed, was that India had something to “hit China over the head with” and China could not try to dictate terms on the basis that Pakistan want their participation.

That afternoon, Minister of Manpower and Small Business Fahmi Idris, Minister of Civil Service Reform Kuntoro Mangkusubroto and Cabinet Secretary Hayono Isman held a joint press conference. Hayono announced that the election, to be held on 21st May 2002, will be a public holiday as on past occasions. Fahmi reminded that shopping centers, hotels, markets, hospitals, small businesses, and other public places should either allow their employees to vote first or allocate some time for employees to take turn voting before or as they are conducting their commercial activities. Kuntoro said that non-essential civil servants will be on holiday.

The 6 long-bodied C-130s plus the 4 normal-sized C-130s all making 1 round trip each again.

18th May 2002:
Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto, accompanied by her immediate family and her entourage, is seen making the umrah (a pilgrimage outside of the Hajj season) in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

At the Presidential Palace, the President and Vice President JB Sumarlin met for late afternoon tea to discuss two important topics. They talked lightheartedly at first with the President calling Sumarlin a formidable campaigner for his comments regarding Tutut and Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati the previous day.

The President brought good news that he had received a few hours prior to the meeting: that the ships which will conduct the sealift component of Operation Chinthe are arriving in Kolkata and that by the early hours of the next morning, the only evacuees left will be Shwe Mann and those who will be travelling on chartered aircraft. Sumarlin was happy to hear the news.

Sumarlin said from a legal perspective, the immigration status of the evacuees should be settled to which the President said that Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman is already working on it.

The two also discussed the possible diplomatic repercussions of the presence of Shwe Mann and the evacuees in Indonesia. Sumarlin believed that Shwe Mann and his evacuees being in Indonesia and the effort exerted by Indonesia to get them in the country will be Indonesia’s claim for leadership in Southeast Asia. There was a cautionary note however by the Vice President.

“At the base of our more assertive foreign policy in the last few years and our ability to spend more on defense is our flourishing economy, we should never forget this”, said Sumarlin “We will only do harm to ourselves if we are assertive on foreign policy and spend more on defense without a flourishing economy. We become stronger first and foremost by developing our economy.”

Sumarlin’s cautionary note was a nice segueway into what he wanted to talk about. He said that there will be a drop-off in economic activity compared to March and April as businesses involved in the production of election merchandise and paraphernalia complete their orders for the election season but this was still normal and the economy is still doing well. The BKPM is still busy approving investments both foreign and domestic alike.

At the same time, Sumarlin had some disturbing reports. The amount of individuals registering for tax numbers have been decreasing in March and April. He also points to the exchange rate. Though the exchange rate was $1= 3,996 in December and $1= 3,827 in February, since March there’s been a trend towards the exchange rate depreciating. It has been fluctuating but the trend has been towards the exchange rate becoming weaker, arriving at $1= Rp. 4,027 as of today.

“I don’t understand, Mr. Vice President, our economy’s doing great but not as much people are registering for tax numbers?” asked the President “I thought it was because our economy’s being doing great that we’ve been getting increases in taxpayer number registrations.”

“That and because people trust this the government with their income tax, Mr. President” replied Sumarlin.

“So they don’t trust us with their taxes anymore?” asked the President.

“Or they’re expecting the people who they don’t trust with their taxes to take over soon”, replied Sumarlin “The same goes with the exchange rate, in the last few months people are slowly taking their money out of the country.”

“But at the same time people are still investing in the country”, said the President almost protesting.

“Those in a position to realize their investment plans are doing it because we’re still in charge, Mr. President”, said Sumarlin “Those not in a position to realize their investment are taking their money out of the country because sometime soon we won’t be in charge.”

The President thought about this for some time; Sumarlin hoping that the President will figure it out all by himself.

“Wait a minute. People are expecting the PKPB to win?” asked the President.

The 6 long-bodied C-130s plus the 4 normal-sized C-130s making two trips each.

19th May 2002:
In an interview on TVRI, Chairman of ICMI Nurcholish Madjid praised the government for the way it has conducted the election campaign. Though admitting that the government has done a great job holding the elections, Nurcholish said that he will still remain impartial and not support any of the political parties.

Using a chartered civilian aircraft and with his arrival kept under wraps, Shwe Mann lands in Jakarta’s Halim Perdanakusuma Airport. He was welcomed by Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar and Wiranto.

Two chartered civilian aircrafts comprising of Shwe Mann, other high-ranking officers in the Tatmadaw who had evacuated with him, and their families.

20th May 2002:
At the PKPI National Headquarters, Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman and Chairman of the PKPI National Campaign Hendropriyono hosted Edi Sudrajat and Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas for a lunch meeting. Hendropriyono made a final report about the PKPI’s campaign.

“Basically we’re leaking votes to the PNI”, concluded Hendropriyono “The urban poor and certain sections of affluent urban people.”

“How and why?” asked Edi as he flicked the pages of the report.

“The urban poor because we’ve just been trying to secure votes from the rural poor and we’ve overlooked them”, replied Hendropriyono “The affluent urbans are beginning to have second thoughts about the PKPI. This is because of Tutut’s speech telling people how much President Try is similar to President Soeharto and the PNI’s newspaper ad saying that this confirms that there’s no difference between the two.”

“Are we taking any steps to counter this?” asked Harsudiono.

“I have instructed all party cadres across the nation to mobilize their social networks to come out and vote for the PKPI tomorrow; this is all we can do given that it’s not the campaign period” said Basofi “Beyond that, the advice that we can give to the President from all of us here at the PKPI National Headquarters is that he shouldn’t worry about the PKPI and the election anymore and start focusing on his preparations for the 2003 MPR General Session.”

That night at primetime, the President addressed the nation on both television and radio, sitting behind the table as he spoke solemnly to the entire nation.

“Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Fellow Indonesians wherever you may be,

When I was re-elected as President of the Republic of Indonesia in March 1998, I was not only given the opportunity to serve you once more after a truncated first term but I was also given a series of mandates: to implement the Broad Outlines of State Policy (GBHN), to carry out national development by executing the Repelita VII, and to hold an election. Tonight, I have come before you to speak about the last of these three mandates with which the MPR has entrusted me.

Tomorrow morning, Insya Allah, the 2002 Elections will be held in all 27 of Indonesia’s provinces and overseas for those of our fellow countrymen residing there. It will be the 8th overall election held since we have become independent. The first one was held in 1955 when President Soekarno held office. The next six were held by President Soeharto in 1971, 1977, 1982, 1987, 1992, and 1997. And now we have the election which will be held tomorrow, the first to be held under auspices of my government.

I believe that tomorrow’s election will be historic for it will be a testament to the dynamism and the stability of our political system.

Though no regime has fallen and no revolution has broken out, the winner of the previous six elections will not be participating in tomorrow’s election. This shows the dynamism of our political system, that it will shift and adapt with the times.

And though there have been turbulent times in the landscape of our political parties in the last few years, we have not gone from 3 election participants to 10 or 24 or 48 but to 4 election participants. This shows the stability of our political system, that it can withstand the shifts and adaptions that it has had to make without losing control.

I do not seek to direct you to vote a certain way, but I do want to urge all of you to use your right to vote regardless of which political party you will be voting for.

Your vote is what will underline the dynamism and the stability of our political system.

Your vote is what will make this election legitimate.

May the Almighty One give our nation His Grace as it embarks on an important venture tomorrow.

Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.”

21st May 2002:
The day began well…very well. The President had just finished Dawn Prayer when Edi Sudrajat appeared with a smile on his face and bringing a piece of paper. After reading what was on piece of paper the President also smiled and even pumped his fist: all of the Myanmarian evacuees have now arrived on Indonesian soil on board the small sealift fleet containing naval and civilian ships. TB Hasanuddin was on hand to accept them and to begin transferring them to their settlements, the nation's focus on the election providing the arrivals with the cover they need.

“Let’s get ready, Mr. President, we have a big day ahead of us”, reminded Edi.

The President and First Lady Tuti Setiawati cast their vote at a polling station located at Veteran Street just behind the Presidential Palace. Standing over the ballot box after they had voted, the First Couple held up their folded ballot papers for all to see. The cameras snapped as the President and First Lady turned left and right to make sure everybody had a good picture. Then…

“Bismillahirohmanirohim”, the President said as he pushed his ballot paper inside the ballot box.

177: Election Day 2002
21st May 2002:
With his pinky dipped in ink, President Try Sutrisno, accompanied by Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas and Chairman of the KPUL HBL Mantiri, visited some of the polling stations in Central Jakarta. The President’s final stop was polling station in Menteng where he watched Vice President JB Sumarlin and Second Lady Sudarmi Sumarlin cast their votes.

Not far from where Sumarlin was voting, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto accompanied by her husband Indra Rukmana, all of her siblings except for Tommy Soeharto who is in prison, all of her siblings’ spouses most notably Chairman of the PKPB National Campaign Prabowo Subianto, as well as other Soeharto family members converged on the Cendana Street Polling Station. Keeping his distance from all this as he waited for his turn to vote was none other than Wismoyo Arismunandar who half-jokingly said he will be voting differently to the rest of the family.

At Kebagusan in Jakarta’s southern suburbs, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri also cast her votes. Unlike Tutut, she kept her entourage small, just her husband Taufiq Kiemas. Once she was done, she was quick to head back home to cook nasi goreng for supporters wanting to wish her well and the media crews alike.

The nations’ eyes were everywhere it seemed to look at various officials and prominent figures cast their vote. In Central Java, cameras were on hand in Solo to witness Chairman of the DPR/MPR Harmoko cast his votes as well as in Salatiga to watch Chairman of the PPP Matori Abdul Djalil cast his. Harmoko and Matori would bump into each other at Solo’s Adisoemarno Airport as they got ready to fly to Jakarta. They chatted warmly and posed together for pictures, flashing their ink-dipped pinky fingers. Then things became awkward when someone from the press asked which among them will be the Chairman of the DPR/MPR after 1st October.

All of the nation’s television channels featured continuing coverage of the Election featuring different officials, members of political parties, public figures, and observers in their studios to provide a commentary of the events on hand. Probably one of the more memorable exchanges of the day came from Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais and PNI DPR Candidate Heri Akhmadi who appeared on Indosiar saying that the nation was entering a crucial period lasting between today until the culmination of the 2003 MPR General Session.

“I once presented the idea that it was important for Indonesia to undergo leadership succession in 1998 for its own sake and leadership succession did occur in 1997 due to circumstances beyond our control”, said Amien “But such is the current political situation in Indonesia that this leadership succession has not only not been completed but is at risk of being reversed; Tutut Soeharto and her supporter are victorious both today and at the 2003 MPR General Session, there will be another leadership succession that from President Try to a President Tutut. But what is in fact happening is that the leadership succession would have been reversed because under a President Tutut we will be reverting to the old habits which we are now trying to shake off under President Try. Though the man himself will not be coming back, President Soeharto’s ideas and ways of doing things will be coming back.”

Heri Akhmadi disagreed saying that people should stop speaking as though the current government is a departure from the previous government because it’s not.

“In some ways it’s even worse than the previous government. Under Soeharto there was a pretense that governors, regents, and mayors were elected by the DPRD, under Try, we’ve gone back to a system where the pesident directly appoints the governors while the minister of home affairs appoints the rgents and mayors. Under Soeharto there was a National Commission of Human Rights but this commission was dissolved under Try”, argued Heri “If you want a departure from Soeharto, you have to cast your ballot for real change. You don’t get healthy by switching Coke to Diet Coke, you get healthy by cutting soft drink altogether.”

Others shared their thoughts with their closest associates only rather than the nation. After casting his vote, Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita went to meet with his mentor, former Vice President Sudharmono.

“So it begins”, said Sudharmono gesturing at the images of people casting their votes on television “Keep your head down and wait, the time will come soon when they will come to you.”

“Do you believe it will come to that?” asked Ginandjar.

“The age of presidents being unanimously elected has passed and so is the age of parties holding absolute majorities in the DPR/MPR” explained Sudharmono “Believe me, they will need help getting across the line, President Try only just got in by 6 votes in 1998.”

In the middle of all this, the President had lunch with Harmoko. Harmoko came out of the lunch all smiles, saying that he and the President discussed preparations for the “business end of the political cycle” namely the inauguration of the new DPR/MPR members and preparations for the holding of the 2003 MPR General Session. Harmoko said that he and the President agreed to a meeting after the election attended by the Vice President, the Vice Chairmen of the DPR/MPR, and senior ministers.

“No, we didn’t talk about President Try’s candidacy for president or who will be the Chairman of the DPR/MPR”, said Harmoko “We’re just talking strictly as the officials in charge of holding these events.”

But the day’s comings and goings were nothing compared to the news that everyone waited for: the results of the elections. Polls around the country closed at 1 PM local time in Indonesia’s three timezones. By mid-afternoon, counting had gotten underway and results as well as projections began to trickle in. All four political parties braced themselves for a roller-coaster ride and while they would not know for sure how many seats they were going to get, they were getting a clear idea of how they had fared and what it meant in the future.

PPP:
When the results began to come in from all around the country, the PPP National Headquarters became tense. They had fully expected to lose a lot of the “Islamic vote”, and by extension seats, to the PKPB. To a certain extent they did. In devout provinces like West Sumatra and West Nusa Tenggara, the PPP found itself trailing behind the PKPB as far as the “Islamic vote” was concerned.

By evening, however, it was clear that things were not as bad as the PPP expected. In Aceh, unless the other three parties massively catches up with it during the counting process, the PPP is looking at its first victory there since 1982. There were also some solid performances in West and Center Kalimantan; PKPB DPR Member Yusril Ihza Mahendra’s comments about the PPP entering into a coalition with the PKPI because it wants “toll roads in Kalimantan” backfiring massively. The numbers from East Java also looked promising as NU members mobilized without official instructions by Chairman of NU Abdurrahman Wahid.

The PPP’s Central Leadership Council gathered in a meeting. Receiving a report of the PPP’s performance that day, the meeting agreed to Chairman of the PPP National Campaign Hamzah Haz’s review that the PPP had a “stronger than expected” performance and that this was due to the unity in the party. Hamzah had said that the PPP’s seats would dip into the 60s but it is looking like it would get in the low-mid 70s, pending the counting of the results.

Then Hamzah changed his focus to the PKPI. Matori looked at him intently as Hamzah described the PKPI’s performance as “not as strong as it should”. There were murmurs of agreement as Hamzah said that with the PKPI doing not as well as it could, they would need the PPP more.

“The vice presidency, the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, the chairmanship of the BPK, the chairmanship of the DPA”, listed Hamzah as he looked at Matori “President Try has agreed that the PPP will get one of these positions in the Coalition Agreement but he never specified which one will it be, I think it is time, Mr. Chairman, that the President made specific which one of these positions will be given to the PPP.”

All in the meeting turned to look at Matori.

“I agree with you”, said Matori “But for the moment, let’s keep that intention to ourselves and focus on the seat counts.”

PNI:
The PNI’s top officials as well as DPR candidates and supporters gathered at or visited Megawati Soekarnoputri’s house. As promised, there was plenty of nasi goreng to go around. The PNI had no expectations. Out of the 4 political parties, the PNI expected to come fourth. But when there are no expectations, there are no such things as disappointments. Even getting a seat in a province looked was treated like a great victory. All those present agreed that the PNI should form a team to keep an eye on the counting process so that these hard-fought seats will not be lost.

“Look at how great we’re doing, Honey”, said Taufiq Kiemas excitedly “Our efforts during the last week in the campaign are paying off, in places where the PKPI are expected to win big, well they’re winning but not by as much as they should…that’s going to hurt them against the PKPB.”

PNI members and DPR candidates Kwik Kian Gie and Laksamana Sukardi looked at Megawati who was cooking in the kitchen. Secretary of the PNI Sutjipto who doubled as Chairman of the PNI’s National Campaign knew what she was thinking.

“These results are better than expected and you can be certain of more seats than we had easily estimated”, he said “But it will still be a long shot for you at the 2003 MPR General Session.”

“Then we’d best continue brainstorming on the way to make this long shot hit the target”, said Megawati “The aim is not to win a legislative election, the aim is to win the presidency.”

PKPB:
At Cendana Street, a much more lavish version of the gathering at Megawati’s house was being held with a buffet and lots round tables where guests could sit down and consume their food. The mood was not tense at all here. During the morning, this might look like overconfidence. But as the day wore on and the results began to appear, this relaxed attitude was in keeping with the results that were coming in.

Chairman of the PKPB National Campaign Prabowo Subianto sat at a table close to a television screen as he monitored the results. He was in a cheerful mood for by the evening, the PKPB was the home to a lot of famous victories. The victory in South Sulawesi including in Ujung Pandang where the PKPI had hoped to get most of its votes from; the victory in South Kalimantan which was their only victory in Kalimantan but also their largest; the victories in West Java and Central Java which established a double stronghold on Indonesia’s most populous islands; the victory in West Sumatra where they genuinely believed that President Soeharto was great for the country. There was the official count to be made and finalized, to be sure, but the count so far looked great enough that one could be confident of projecting victory.

Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung also watched the results. His placid face hid the horror that he was secretly feeling. The PKPB had allowed graduates of LIPIA, barely-disguised Islamists, and even outright supporters of the Jakarta Charter to run as DPR candidates and now these people are getting elected. If he wasn’t on the winning side, Akbar would have considered changing sides.

After dinner, Tutut Soeharto convened a meeting attended by Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani, Akbar Tandjung, Prabowo Subianto, and Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Hartono. The first item on the agenda was the PKPB’s current position in the election.

“We’re in the lead and our lead looks strong”, Tutut said “Our immediate task now must be to make sure that the government does not take advantage of the counting process to sneak a few seats the PKPI’s way.”

Prabowo said that he will create a team to scrutinize the KPU’s vote-counting process to which Tutut gave ready approval. Tutut however does not agree that Prabowo should oversee the scrutinizing process, delegating that particular duty to ZA Maulani.

“I already have a task that’s no less important for you”, said Tutut “Regardless of how many seats we get, we will still be far from a majority whether in the DPR or the MPR. I want you to begin making preparations for the 2003 MPR General Session in particular the Presidential Election which will occur there.”

“Very well”, replied Prabowo.

The final item on the agenda is that if the PKPB’s lead continues to hold and it is declared the winner of the election this will entitle them, from Tutut’s point of view, to the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR.

“When the count is complete, I will make the official announcement”, said Tutut “But I think there is no better candidate from the PKPB for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR than Mas Hartono who has been a steadfast supporter of the PKPB, a steadfast support of President Soeharto, and a steadfast supporter of me.”

Hartono nodded in gratefulness at Tutut’s comment. Everybody else made a mental note that when Tutut publicly announces Hartono’s candidacy she shouldn’t go overboard with praise because that would just fuel the unconfirmed but persistent rumors that Jakarta society has about them.

PKPI:
After the news that the evacuees had arrived and after the sense of optimism that had come from casting the ballot, it was all downhill from Try. At the Presidential Palace, he watched the television and monitored as the evacuees are being transported around the country to be placed in various settlements.

When Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman and Chairman of the PKPI National Campaign Hendropriyono arrived at the Presidential Palace, Try, accompanied by State Secretary Edi Sudrajat braced himself for the ride.

The PKPI did as well as a party relying on the President’s achievements could do. In Maluku, victory came from Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaatmadja’s efforts to mobilize sago plantation owners and workers to vote. While in Bali, Minister of Tourism Soeyono also ran a successful campaign to remind business owners and workers in the tourism industry to focus on increased living standards instead of appeals to the fact that Megawati has Balinese blood through her father. In East Timor, the PKPI also scored a large victory in what has been described as a referendum on whether Soeharto or Try was the better president for East Timor.

Harmoko’s energetic campaigning also paid off to the extent that the PKPI could not say that it had struggled with the rural vote. In fact, it was because Harmoko had been successful with rural voters that the PKPB had to turn their attention towards drawing votes from the PPP by strongly emphasizing the religion card. By and large, however, the PKPI confirmed the perception that its core constituents are affluent or newly affluent and politically-aware people living in cities. Its most decisive victory on a province-by-province basis came in Jakarta with great numbers also coming from Surabaya, Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Medan, Pekanbaru, Denpasar, Palembang, and Manado; in other words, cities which have benefitted greatly from the economic growth of recent years.

That said, the PKPI visibly leaked votes to the PNI. In North Sumatra, Jakarta, East Java, North Sulawesi, and East Nusa Tenggara or in other words, provinces where the PKPI expected to win big, their victories were not as big as they expected while the PNI’s numbers were stronger than what was expected. The PNI had managed to convinced segments of the urban poor that the government did not look after welfare by not raising the minimum wage since 1999 and segments of the affluent urban people that Try was not any different from Soeharto.

“In other words, by focusing too much on Tutut, we forgot about Megawati”, said Try.

Another place where Try’s cause was hurt was in Irian Jaya, where it looked unpredictable who was going to win there. Gritting his teeth in frustration, Try wondered what would have happened if the deal on Freeport was announced.

It was 11.30 PM when Harsudiono Hartas arrived at the Presidential Palace. He handed Try the latest count and projections from the KPU.

“It’s now down to the vote-counting process to determine how many seats each party will get in the DPR and by extension, the MPR, Mr. President” reported Harsudiono “The “ranking” of the parties will most likely not change: the PNI bringing up the rear at fourth, the PPP at third, the PKPI a close second behind the PKPB who is leading the polls. It’s too far for the PNI to catch up to the PPP, too far for the PPP to catch up to the PKPI and as for the PKPI catching up to the PKPB…”

Everyone in the room looked up expectantly.

“The window is rapidly closing”, said Harsudiono “It is very likely the PKPB has this one in the bag.”

---
Phew, finally got that done before I’m going to get busy again at work. But the Election Day sets up at least 3 storylines:

-Try, Tutut, and Megawati’s roads to the 2003 MPR Session
-The power struggle ahead being evenly-matched that there will be a need to recruit other political factions to help gain victory, something Ginandjar is being encouraged to position himself for.
-And acting as the warm-up to the contest for the presidency will be the contest for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR.

Amien Rais' OTL Paper on Presidential Succession being compulsory in 1998: https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...rais+suksesi+1998&pg=PA21&printsec=frontcover

I wanted show here with the "diet coke" comment another anti-Try POV that is floating around ITTL namely the POV that Try is not that much different from Soeharto

Because there is a moment between Tutut and Hartono in the update and because there’s some talk about rumored love affairs in recent posts, I will say that unless it is in the open and explicitly acknowledged as fact it’s not going to happen in the TL. After all the name on the website is Alternate History not Alternate Rumors or Alternate Conspiracy Theories.

I’ll be sure to keep telling you about how the MPR works but basically this is why the legislative elections are related and important to the composition of the MPR:

-The DPR consists of 500 seats of which 425 are on the line at the election because the remaining 75 are allocated to ABRI.

-All DPR members are automatically MPR delegates. So if you are a DPR member, you are at the same time an MPR delegate. This is why in Indonesia, the DPR and MPR are referred to as the DPR/MPR as though they are one body.

-Seat-wise, this means that if Party A gets 100 seats in the DPR, it has 100 seats in the MPR.

-Independent of the seats they’ve won in the DPR and which doubles as seats in the MPR, political parties are also allocated additional seats in the MPR based on how many seats they have won the DPR. The people who occupy these additional seats are exclusively MPR delegates, they don’t double as DPR members.

-The formula for the additional seat allocation is amount of seats in the DPR + 50%. So if Party A gets 100 seats in the DPR, it’s entitled to an extra 50 seats in the MPR. If the amount of seats is an odd number it’s (amount of seats in the DPR + 50%) + 1. So if a Party B gets 101 seats in the DPR, it’s entitled to 51 seats in the MPR.

178: Waiting For The Count
22nd May 2002:
In a morning press conference, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto reminded PKPB members that their struggle was not over and to put extra attention on the vote-counting process. On the recommendation the PKPB’s National Campaign Team, Tutut announced the appointment of former Commander of ABRI Feisal Tanjung to be the PKPB’s Special Vote-Counting Monitor.

Arriving at the PKPI National Headquarters, Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman said to the gathered the media that the only thing he’s conceding right now is that the PKPB is in the lead because the count is not final or is beyond doubt yet.

Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas, conducting his own press conference, said the option is there for the political parties if they want to pay more attention to the vote-counting process but feels that ultimately there was nothing to worry about. Harsudiono said that the whole point of making the minister of home affairs no longer double as the person in charge of the election commission as in the past was to make sure that “when this kind of situation happens”, there will be no questions about conflict of interest.

23rd May 2002:
President Try Sutrisno this morning chaired a cabinet meeting attended by Vice President JB Sumarlin and all cabinet ministers. The following matters were discussed:

*Regarding the elections, Harsudiono gave an official report on the vote-counting process and that the PKPB is in the lead. The new information that Harsudiono had for the meeting was that even though the count would only be finalized on 9th June 2002, however this did not rule out that the vote count could be “beyond doubt” before that date. Sumarlin asked what “beyond doubt” meant and Harsudiono explained that beyond doubt means the stage when the PKPI cannot catch up to the PKPB.

All the ministers shuffled uncomfortably at Harsudiono talking about the PKPI’s possible defeat and it seemed like forever before the President said “Noted”.

*Next was Minister of Economics and National Development Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti who reported on the general economic condition during the election period saying that as of today, the exchange rate is $1= Rp. 4,084. This is a decline from $1= Rp. 3,800ish in February.

Minister of Trade Anthony Salim said that he did not wish to be grim but he welcomes the trend saying that “FMCG importers from Africa are complaining that our exports are becoming expensive” if the currency is too strong while businesses and individuals will start being more careful in choosing what they want to import.

The President instructed Dorodjatun and Governor of Bank Indonesia Boediono to keep a watch on the currency fluctuations and to notify him if there is starting to be adverse effects on the economy. He agreed with Anthony that exports will do better with a slight decline in value in the currency. He also instructed Head of BKPM Mari Pangestu to encourage foreign investments seeing that it has become cheaper to invest in Indonesia.

“I acknowledge that some of this recent economic news are related to recent political developments especially the possibility of the PKPB winning the election but leave the political affairs and how to deal with the PKPB to me”, the President said “My wish for all you here is that we continue with our policies and program regardless of election results. There is still 9 and a half months left in the term, let’s keep our focus and make the most of it.”

Anteve broadcasted a documentary entitled “The Grandmother of All Political Safaris” focusing on Chairman of the DPR Harmoko’s activities during the election campaign. The documentary highlighted Harmoko’s hard work during the campaign and the way he has been effective in convincing people in rural areas all around Indonesia to vote for him.

24th May 2002:
Chairman of the KPU HBL Mantiri today accompanied former President of the United States Jimmy Carter as the latter visited the KPU’s Head Office. Carter, whose Carter Center Organization had been monitoring the conduct of the 2002 Election, said that the way the government has held the elections has been faultless. Then one of the reporters present asked what if there were still any doubts about the way the election is conducted.

“Well, the government’s party is in danger of losing”, replied Carter “Whereas in the previous 6 elections, everything was mobilized in favor of the government’s party to facilitate large landslide victories.”

Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja announced that passenger ships KM Siguntang, KM Bukit Umsini, and KM Kambuna has been permitted again to take the waters starting on 1st June 2002. They have been out of commission for the past month for maintenance due to safety issues.

25th May 2002:
The President along with all of the nation’s top officials attended the Prophet Muhammad’s Birthday commemoration at the Presidential Palace.

The attention however was on Harmoko, who was swarmed by reporters on his way out at the conclusion of the ceremony. On there being 4 months left in the current DPR’s term, Harmoko said that the public can expect hard work to the very end because there are bills to get through and pass. On the documentary of his activities during the campaign by Anteve, Harmoko said that all he did while the cameramen taped their footage was be himself.

Harmoko grinned broadly when asked if the documentary was the application he was submitting to be considered for re-election as Chairman of the DPR/MPR.

“Just as President Try will I’m sure be part of the conversation about who will be the next president, so will I be part of the conversation about who will be the next Chairman of the DPR/MPR”, said Harmoko.

26th May 2002:
The first thing Try did when he saw his guests was to return their salutes and to wish them Happy Vesak Day. They were dressed in civilian wear but Try knew what generals looked like when he saw one. The five in front of them were former Joint Chief of Staff of the Army, Navy, and Air Force Shwe Mann who is the leader of the Myanmarian Evacuees, former Secretary-2 of the SPDC Thein Sein who is seen as the deputy leader, former Quartermaster General Tin Aung Myint Oo, former Air Defense General Soe Win, and former General Staff Officer Myint Swe.

Try brought Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar, State Secretary Edi Sudrajat, and Commander of ABRI Wiranto.

After greetings and discussions about how the Myanmarians are adapting, they began to talk business. Try opened by saying that in addition to their being humanitarian significance, because of the presence of the soldiers’ immediate families, but also of strategic significance. It shows that Southeast Asians, in this case Indonesia and Myanmar, are not willing to stand idly by as an outside power throws its weight around.

“A small portion of Myanmar to be exact, Mr. President, but we understand your point”, said Shwe Mann to the laughter of those in the room.

Shwe Mann said that it had been a harrowing two months for them even without the raid that Chairman of the SPDC Khin Nyunt ordered but he’s glad that he and his men had arrived in Indonesia. Shwe Mann acknowledged the strategic significance of he and his men being there saying that Indonesia was willing to back up its words with action. Shwe Mann concluded by saying that he is willing to comply with Try’s request that he and his officers do not become a government-in-exile and to not denounce Khin Nyunt’s regime so long as they are in Indonesia.

They discussed about the situation in Myanmar. Ginandjar said that reports from the Indonesian Embassy to Myanmar indicates that Khin Nyunt is consolidating control and has installed supporters in Myanmar’s ruling SPDC while former members of the SPDC, including former Chairman of the SPDC Than Shwe has been put under house arrest while a purge is being conducted on the Tatmadaw to rid it of Shwe Mann’s supporters. Try looked at his guests’ faces as Ginandjar made the report and saw them trying to be stoic.

“How long before we can go back there and knock Khin Nyunt down?” asked Tint Aung Myint Oo, who had a temper.

“I don’t know how long it will be before you can go back there again”, replied Try “What I do know is that we’re all tied up in each other’s fights now, Khin Nyunt and China on one side, the two of us on the other. It’s in our common interests to help each other.”

“Then we had best start making ourselves useful in this fight”, said Shwe Mann resolutely.

The discussion then went to military matters. Here Try and Shwe Mann were quiet and it was Wiranto and Thein Sein who did most of the talking. Having arrived earlier than his colleagues, Thein Sein and his team had also begun working with ABRI Headquarters about how to integrate the Tatmadaw personnel into ABRI. It was proposed that the Tatmadaw personnel will be organized into a Myanmarian Joint Division under the overall command of Shwe Mann. On a day-to-day basis, however, units within the division will be seconded to corresponding ABRI units (Myanmarian Army units to Indonesian Army units, Myanmarian Naval units to Indonesian Naval units and so on…). Try gave his approval to this arrangement and Shwe Mann also agreed to it.

Wiranto and Thein Sein went further on. ABRI units and the Myanmarian units seconded to them will basically be involved in an “extended knowledge exchange program”. There will be knowledge exchange as well as military exercises to see how the knowledge will work when it is applied. From the ABRI side of things, Wiranto hopes that within 2 years, ABRI will have "absorbed" all of the Tatmadaw's knowledge.

Wiranto concluded that the Myanmarians will hopefully have something to learn from ABRI. He believes however that it will ABRI which will have more to learn from their Myanmarian counterparts rather than the other way around considering that the Tatmadaw is battle-hardened from having battled non-stop against various insurgents in their country since independence.

“I agree and associate myself with the sentiments of the Commander of ABRI especially regarding ABRI having much to learn from the Tatmadaw”, added Try “Not long in the future, should there be a conflict that requires it, I want the other side to be standing across the battlefield from an ABRI that has absorbed some of the capabilities of the Tatmadaw and for the moment, will actually be fighting side by side with elements of the Tatmadaw.”

27th May 2002:
The President today hosted a batch of English teachers arriving from the Philippines arriving to teach English to vocational school students and factory workers at the Presidential Palace. They were accompanied by Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo, Minister of Manpower and Small Business Fahmi Idris, Minister of Education Fakry Gaffar, and Mari Pangestu. Mari touted the fact that the Indonesian workforce will become more sophisticated as more of them speak English and that this language ability will be another selling point to invest in Indonesia.

The reporters present however were more interested in the President. They yelled out questions about the election results and the government’s prospects. Edi Sudrajat glared at them but they were not deterred and at last the President got tired of pretending not to hear their questions.

“I am still waiting for all the votes to be counted just like all of the political parties and just like all of you”, said the President “As for the government’s prospects, the PKPI have entered into a coalition with the PPP and could rely on the support of ABRI members of the DPR. I realize that the PKPB is leading in the count at the moment but I think given the PKPI’s coalition with the PPP and ABRI members in the DPR, it would take a catastrophic result before anyone has any reason to worry about how many seats the government will control in the DPR. So Indonesians, businesses, and investors alike should not have anything to worry about as far as political stability is concerned.”

The reporter began opening his mouth to ask about what it meant for the President’s prospects at the MPR session but he was cut off by Edi Sudrajat who told the reporters that the time was up.

28th May 2002:
In an exclusive post-election interview with Kompas, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri said that the fact the PNI is trailing does not mean that it should be underestimated. Instead, it shows that the sentiment for real change rather than “tinkering along edges” is real. Megawati also pointed to the fact that the PNI was shaping to win more votes and more seats than the PDI did in the 1997 Elections.

Asked about the future, Megawati skirted the topic of presidential candidacy saying that she and the PNI wanted to be a legitimate third force in Indonesian politics saying that Indonesia’s been too stuck in a “Try or Tutut” dichotomy in the last few years.

29th May 2002:
The President had a meeting with Minister of Information, Post, and Telecommunications Oka Mahendra. The discussion was wideranging. In addition to reporting about progress of the Nusantara 21 Project, Oka Mahendra also said that running parallel to this, his department are preparing some rules and regulations about how Indonesians should conduct themselves on the internet saying that these rules “comes with the territory” considering that a lot more Indonesians will have access to the internet. The President agreed.

“Anything else you want to talk to me about?” asked the President.

Oka Mahendra took a deep breath and began telling a story. Part of the Department of Information, Post, and Telecommunications’ duty is to oversee the press and what they are up to. As it turned out out, some in the press, especially in the prvocines, have become interested in what they have described as the “Illegal Immigrants” story. In the last 2-3 weeks, so the story goes, there have been a marked increase of people who clearly are not Indonesians coming in and becoming settled all over Indonesia. Members of the press of the provinces have become aware of these developments because people have reported to the authorities but the authorities have been quiet adamant in ignoring them to the point that not even bribes would motivate them to investigate.

In the past week, media outlets in the capital have caught wind of the story. Interest was piqued when all of reports about the “illegal immigrants” are gathered and it was pointed out that they are seen to be living in and around military barracks and transmigration settlements. The cold shouldering by government agencies when the press have enquired about these “illegal immigrants” are beginning to raise suspicion that something is up.

“The news hasn’t broken out because the press is focused on the Election right now, Mr. President, but things will be different once the votes have been counted”, said Oka Mahendra “From my end, the potential embarrassment for the government is huge and we are rapidly approaching the stage where we have to decide whether to allow them to break the news or not."

The President kept a poker face through all this, remembering that Oka Mahendra had not been part of the loop.

“Where do people say these illegal immigrants are from?” asked the President.

“One reporter tried to interview the illegal immigrant and recorded their response even though it was comprehensible” replied Oka Mahendra “The taped response was then taken to language experts and have been positively identified as Burmese, Mr. President. It means that in all likelihood, these illegal immigrants are from Myanmar.”

The President’s poker face dropped.

“And I think to myself, what are the odds that these illegal immigrants are those missing Myanmarian officers and soldiers that the new regime in Myanmar are going after?” asked Oka Mahendra sarcastically “But that would be impossible, right, Mr. President?”

The President flashed Oka Mahendra a guilty smile.

---
In the Soeharto regime, the Minister of Home Affairs doubles as the Chairman of the Election Commission which is probably not a good starting point if you want an impartial election. From Habibie onwards, the Election Commission has been independent. ITTL, it ahas been made independent courtesy of the Election Law passed back in 2000.

The choice of HBL Mantiri as Chairman of the KPU ITTL is because he's someone whose OTL CV shows that he's acceptable to all sides. He's a military guy whose worked with Try and Edi before but he's also worked with Feisal Tanjung and a classmate of Hartono (ie. people who are not part of Try and Edi's faction in Soeharto-era ABRI). It's also difficult to say whose side he tends to lean to.
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Bernhard_Leopold_Mantiri

As a sidenote, if you haven't noticed already, I'm one of those guys that like to read about the profiles and the career paths of public figures in Indonesia. I was already doing "with that career path, he should've been minister of x instead of minister y" long before I got into Alternate History.

And Try finally gets to meet Shwe Mann and his inner circle among the evacuees. ABRI’s going to get “injected” with some Tatmadaw “juice”.

The final conversation shows that Try’s government hasn’t dismantled controls over the press instituted by Soeharto. One can say that the press under Try’s government is free-er than under Soeharto but it can also be said that it’s just the case that Try’s government doesn’t often resort to using the tools available to it.

Cant wait to see the next moves with all the relocated burmese armies. USA knows, Japan knows, and now it seems some local reporters started to dig around. Since the election its ending, it wont influence it, but the next ASEAN months will be interesting.

No updates this week. A bit busy and the post-covid vaccine effect has always hit me a bit hard.

Stay tuned for the next few updates where we will be going around the world again. Usually I start with events in SE Asia then go around and end at the Americas which is the furthest from SE Asia with less visible butterflies. I admittedly lose interest by the time I get to the Americas (despite having some ideas about what will happen there) and will rush things because I want to get back to Indonesia again

This time I’m going to reverse the order and start with the Americas first and culminate with SE Asia and then this will be a natural bridge to the TL covering events in Indonesia again. So the next update will have, among others, McCain, Chretien, Fox, Chavez, Cardoso, and Duhalde running around.

At the end of these updates, we’ll go full steam ahead with events in Indonesia until the 2003 MPR Session.

Don’t forget to show your support for this TL in the 2022 Turtledoves and vote. Thank you once again for your nomination and your support. https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...old-war-to-contemporary-timeline-poll.524611/

This time I’m going to reverse the order and start with the Americas first and culminate with SE Asia and then this will be a natural bridge to the TL covering events in Indonesia again. So the next update will have, among others, McCain, Chretien, Fox, Chavez, Cardoso, and Duhalde running around.
Why i think the IMF is gonna appear again...? :biggrin: