For Want of A Sandwich - A Franz Ferdinand Lives Wikibox TL

I noticed that Al Smith was the last Democratic President of the United States.

What happened during his administration that caused the Democrats to implode?

2022 FIFA World Cup - Australia
2022FIFA.jpg

The 2022 FIFA World Cup, also branded as Australia 2022, was held in Australia from 19 May to 19 June 2022.

This edition was the first one ever held in Oceania, as the rotation policy awarded the 2022 tournament to an Asian country: in 2010, Australia’s bid defeated China’s and Japan’s to host the event. Australia’s won thanks to its infrastructure and also with its tight budget, promising to refurbish its cricket grounds and rugby stadiums to be able to host the venues, taking place in Melbourne, Sydney (Stadium Australia and Football Stadium), Blacktown, Geelong, Adelaide, Newcastle and Perth. To deal with the harsh temperatures experienced in the Antipodes, the World Cup was moved a month earlier, from May to June. What also arose was the Wuchang Pneumonia pandemic and the disaster that the Rome Olympic Games and the Euro 2020 had been : to avoid any contamination, the Australian committee adopted the same tactics that had been enacted for the Winter Olympic Games, organized that same year in Aotearoa, in Queenstown-Christchurch. Every squad would have to be vaccinated, observe a two-week quarantine upon arriving in Australia and be routinely tested while the attendants were to be also vaccinated and to show a negative test upon entering the premises. Every hotel welcoming foreign and domestic visitors would have to enact draconian cleansing to avoid any contamination and mask were compulsory in every Australian town.

Along with the host country and the defending champions, Uruguay, 30 other teams were qualified for the final phase of the tournament : for Europe, Croatia, Serbia, Russia, Italy, Finland, France, England, Switzerland, Wallonia, Germany, Denmark, the Ottoman Empire and Catalonia ; for Asia, Japan, Aotearoa, the Hashemite Empire, Iran and Korea ; for Africa, Dahomey, Egypt, Tunisia, Kamerun, Ashante ; for North America, Mexico and the United States, and for Latin America, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Argentina and Brazil. To avoid any disturbance due to international relations, the FIFA took necessary steps to have any match between the Hashemite Empire and Iran, or between Korea and Japan. Many accused the Australian government to have forced a qualification by Aotearoa, a first, to have Oceania better represented in the tournament.

The group stage had its few surprises, with the early eliminations of some favorites, such as Italy (Group B, behind Mexico, Russia and before Finland), Japan (Groupe C, behind United States and Uruguay, before Ecuador) and, in a major upset, Germany, that failed to made its transition for its glory years and ended third in Group F, behind European champions Wallonia, Asian champions Korea and just before the Hashemite Empire. The other groups went as follow : Group A, Croatia and Australia qualified, Serbia and Dahomey eliminated ; Group D, Colombia and France qualified, Egypt and Panama eliminated ; Group E, England and Switzerland qualified, Tunisia and Aotearoa eliminated ; Group G, Denmark and Argentina qualified, Kamerun and Ashante eliminated ; Group H; Brazil and Catalonia qualified, Ottoman Empire and Iran eliminated. In the end, nevertheless, no African teams were qualified ; the match between Croatia and Serbia was also uneventful, in spite of many fears of a clash between the two nations’ supporters.

The Round of 16 saw the trend of penalty shootouts continue in the World Cup, with no less than four matches being subjected to it, that saw the qualification of Russia, United States, Colombia and Brazil, respectively defeating Croatia, France, defending champiosn Uruguay and Argentina, who was also an early favourite. In the other mathes, qualified were England (against Korea), Catalonia (versus Danemark), Wallonia (after extra time, beating Switzerland) and, in an upset, Australia managed to qualify to the round of 8 against Mexico.

The host country would nevertheless lose in another penalty shootout against Colombia, the surprise team of the competition, led by an excellent James Rodriguez. In another shootout, Team USA, trained by a barely retired Kobe Bryant, managed to defeat Russia. Brazil defeated Wallonia 2-1, as did England versus Catalonia, having todraw after extra time before being liberated by a hat trick by Harry Kane.

The semi-finals, played in Melbourne and Stadium Australia in Sydney, saw England qualify for its second final in a row, after defeating by a scorching 3-0 the United States, showing the excellent strength of Team USA in football, while Brazil ended, with Neymar’s goal, the chances of Colombia, the major upset of the competition. Colombia would fall to the fourth place, after a win by the USA for the third-place game.

2022FIFABracket.jpg

The finals, played in a refurbished Melboune Cricket Ground on 19 June 2022, saw two old nations of the world’s most popular sport, both reclaiming their birthright : on the left, Brazil, led by a resourceful Neymar along with Marquinhos, Thiago Silva and Vinicius Junior, whose last win went back to 2002 in Mexico ; on the right, England, led by a still sharp Harry Kane, along with Jack Grealish and Phil Foden, who had lost two finals, in 2006 against France and in the last edition, in 2018, in a major upset against Uruguay, and who won its first title back in 1942, before the World War. In a heated stadium, the two teams managed to bravely defend their goals, dragging the game for 120 minutes, leaving the cup to be decided in penalty shootouts. The Brazilians faced Jordan Pickford and would only managed to score two goals (Casemiro and Pedro, with Neymar, Rodrygo and Marquinhos failing) while England faced Alisson, who managed to save against Jordan Henderson and Jude Bellingham… But Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford and Eric Dier managed to score, giving the World Cup to England and their second title in history.

The tournament set a new record for the broadcasting of the FIFA World Cup ; its steady performance in spite of the still continuing pandemic, along with the low costs and great organization by the Australian government, also contributed, according to many experts, to “putting Australia into the world map”, stressing the new qualification of the country as a major power, both in foreign affairs and soft power. Still the effect is also felt in England, the mother country of football, that saw its “World Cup coming home”, 80 years after winning it in 1942 and after four failures in finals. The next World Cup, scheduled for 2026 in Egypt, will be a tough act to follow.

HELL YEAH! Scotland forever!!!
Thank you very much.
What plans did the CWR have for Paris had they won similar to the Nazi visions for Germania or the USSR planning to build the Palace of the Soviets pre-war?

Perhaps similar Palace of the Nations like Stalin planned to Moscow or some even with bigger scale what Ceausescu built?
For one, the Sacré-Coeur (that was built to atone for the Commune of Paris) was demolished to replace it with a Palace of the Workers. Other plans followed, that I will detail one day.
I noticed that Al Smith was the last Democratic President of the United States.

What happened during his administration that caused the Democrats to implode?

Probably failing to handle the *Great Depression combined with anti-Catholicism.
Smith was re-elected after the election was thrown to the House of Representatives due to the concurrence of the Progressives, the Republicans and a split Conservative Democrat candidacy. The Great Depression didn't help either.

Considering China didn’t spend decades under Maoism and all that, were the fossils of the Yixian Formation discovered earlier than OTL? And with the 2022 World Cup in mind, who is the defending Formula 1 (or equivalent racing Formula) champion and Indianapolis 500 (with how the Indy 500 was first ran in 1911 and all that) winner?
Palace of the Workers
What became of it after the fall of the CWR, assuming it was built and all that?

Smith was re-elected after the election was thrown to the House of Representatives due to the concurrence of the Progressives, the Republicans and a split Conservative Democrat candidacy. The Great Depression didn't help either.
How much did anti-Catholicism play into his downfall here, considering how his Catholicism was a big issue in '28 IOTL?

Considering China didn’t spend decades under Maoism and all that, were the fossils of the Yixian Formation discovered earlier than OTL? And with the 2022 World Cup in mind, who is the defending Formula 1 (or equivalent racing Formula) champion and Indianapolis 500 (with how the Indy 500 was first ran in 1911 and all that) winner?

What became of it after the fall of the CWR, assuming it was built and all that?
The fossils were discovered earlier, as was the Terracotta Army.
As of the current Formula 1 Champion, the current champion is Carlo Leclerc (Monaco being Italian) and Alex Palou for the Indy 500. I hadn't thought about these sports, I should do it.
The Palace of the Workers was destroyed during the World War and its remains demolished, the Sacré-Coeur was rebuilt.
What ended up happening to Floyd Collins, Bessie Coleman, Al Jolson, James Dean, and Buddy Holly in this timeline?
They shall all be covered, I have some ideas about them.
Love it! I’d be curious to see other World Cup results/infoboxes.

I take it Egypt is the first African host?
No, Morocco (1994) and Kamerun (2010) already hosted it.
How much did anti-Catholicism play into his downfall here, considering how his Catholicism was a big issue in '28 IOTL?
It didn't help much, but given La Guardia who followed after was also Catholic and even Jewish, it didn't became much of an issue after.

They shall all be covered, I have some ideas about them.
Nice stuff! I’m really curious about what ideas you have in mind for them, I’m surprised that you have plans for them, but then again considering how in depth and well researched this timeline has been all around, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by that. I love this timeline and I can’t wait to see what happens and comes up next!

Last edited:
As of the current Formula 1 Champion, the current champion is Carlo Leclerc (Monaco being Italian) and Alex Palou for the Indy 500. I hadn't thought about these sports, I should do it.
On that note, what is the F1 calendar like and how do F1 cars compare to their OTL counterpart regarding appearance, engines, and the like. In addition, what F1 drivers had better careers compared to OTL and vice-versa aside from Leclerc being a world champion here? Maybe Stefan Bellof ITTL ended up a world champion or at least a multiple race winner, for starters?
Other plans followed, that I will detail one day.
Did they involve Plan Voisin or was Le Corbusier in Algeria?

Nice stuff! I’m really curious about what ideas you have in mind for them, I’m surprised that you have plans for them, but then again considering how in depth and well researched this timeline has been all around, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by that. I love this timeline and I can’t wait to see what happens and comes up next!
It's a very long way and very time-consuming, but I shall overcome !
I'd like to hear about the genesis of the German nuclear weapons program. That and a list of Reichspakt members.
Duly noted !
On that note, what is the F1 calendar like and how do F1 cars compare to their OTL counterpart regarding appearance, engines, and the like. In addition, what F1 drivers had better careers compared to OTL and vice-versa aside from Leclerc being a world champion here? Maybe Stefan Bellof ITTL ended up a world champion or at least a multiple race winner, for starters?

Did they involve Plan Voisin or was Le Corbusier in Algeria?
Frankly, I don't have much knowledge on F1, so I have to examine it further !
Le Corbusier dealt with Paris after the World War...

Le Corbusier dealt with Paris after the World War...
Any other cities that he developed or designed ITTL as Chandigarh is 100% butterflied away here? And speaking of the World War, what were the CWR's long-term plans had they won similar to how the Nazis had Generalplan Ost and their vision of a "New Order"? I assume their plan for a final triumph for the World Proletariat was vaguely going to be a "Final War" against either Japan or the US?

Any other cities that he developed or designed ITTL as Chandigarh is 100% butterflied away here? And speaking of the World War, what were the CWR's long-term plans had they won similar to how the Nazis had Generalplan Ost and their vision of a "New Order"? I assume their plan for a final triumph for the World Proletariat was vaguely going to be a "Final War" against either Japan or the US?
Crandigarh was butterfield away, and the longterm plan was a world republic that would abolish frontiers and unite the proletariat under a single unity. Like Trotsky's World Revolution and 1984's Eurasia in a way.

Any further info on the German Emperors after Wilhelm II? Did Kira Kirilovna end up marrying Louis Ferdinand in 1938? From what i understand Germany and Russia weren't on the best of terms at that point after the European War so it would seem odd.

Great timeline btw! I enjoy it a lot.

Crandigarh was butterfield away, and the longterm plan was a world republic that would abolish frontiers and unite the proletariat under a single unity. Like Trotsky's World Revolution and 1984's Eurasia in a way.
Speaking of which, what became of George Orwell ITTL and what book, if any, fills the role of 1984 as the key work of dystopian literature?