WI: Frank Borman as a Republican Pres. Candidate in 1980.

Frank Borman, of Apollo fame (who turned down an offer to be the Commander of Apollo 11) and later the head of Eastern Airlines, was subject to some speculation as a potential Republican candidate for a number of various offices, up to and including the Presidency in the 1980 Presidential election. I actually don't have any hard evidence on hand other than it was discussed; all such links in either Time magazine or in the New York Times are behind pay-walls, and the best description of his politics I have is "conservative Republican", which could be stretched in any number of ways on a variety of issues. Essentially, I'm wondering if there is anyone here that might expand on this, guess as to how well he would do, what kind of resources he might have access to, that kind of thing.

To be frank I'm working on a PF+P16 scenario in which Frank Borman is in the running and becomes the benefactor of Reagan's passing (Reagan had died shortly after the '78 Midterms from Pneumonia that had been off again on again for some months). However it is a bit hard to add a character when you have at best a very basic view of his politics, especially when you are trying to be thorough.

At the present I would have him at basic infrastructure, with significant financial resources, and his polling base being in Florida (which seems to have been his present residential state), Arizona and New Mexico. I imagined him being a rather effective candidate, but whose base would have been split with John Connally and (to a smaller extent) Phil Crane, and thus be forced to drop out after the first set of primaries.

That was my first thought as well... "The sky's the limit!"

It'd be the most genial presidential contest ever. I mean, I can't imagine either of them wanting to dish dirt on the other, considering they're both members of the most elite club imaginable.

Can you imagine a Frank Borman (R) vs. John Glenn (D) Presidential contest?

:cool::eek::D

Yes please.

I wonder who he'll pick as his running mate. There were a few Apollo astronauts in Congress and other branches of the government, Jack Schmit and Michael Collins both come to mind. Image if we got as astronauts both the POTUS and the VP.

Last edited:
:cool::eek::D

Yes please.

I wonder who he'll pick as his running mate. There were a few Apollo astronauts in Congress and other branches of the government, Jack Schmit and Michael Collins both come to mind. Image if we got as astronauts both the POTUS and the VP.
Senator John Glenn (D-OH)/Senator Gordan Cooper (D-OK)

Businessman Frank Borman (R-FL)/Senator Harrison Schmitt (R-CO)

That would be quite the match-up.

But were now trending away from the original purpose of the thread. :p