Unusual and funny battles tactics

I had this idea of making a thread about unorthodox strategic moves used in pre 1900 battles

To start, in 1865 during the late stages of the battle of the riachuelo in the triple alliance war, the brazilian admiral Barroso in his flagship, Amazonas, noticed that the paraguayan ships were converted transports, made of wood, while his flagship had a hull made of iron, and so he rammed three enemy ships in sequence to sink them

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Hannibal's escape from Ager Falernus, where he tied kindling to the horns of captured oxen and lit them on fire, sending the herd up towards Roman positions in the middle of the night to scare them into abandoning their posts.

Siege of Megara in 266 BC: pigs were covered in combustible material, lit on fire, then let loose to scare off war elephants. Elephants can't stand the squealing sound of a pig.

The empty fort stratagem attributed to numerous Chinese commanders; present an obvious trap even when there is none. Basically an elaboration of Sunzi's maxim to appear weak when strong, and strong when weak.

longsword14

Banned
Timur's invasion of India. To scare away elephants he dug a pit, filled it with straw, set it on fire and then prodded camels to run away from the heat right on to the elephants causing the elephants to trample their own lines.

The classic attack on Christmas Day by Washington must be brought up. The unusual and unpredictable battle strategy may very well have changed the course of the Battle of Trenton!

Having a single unit march in a loop such that on each circuit it passes through an area under enemy observation, thereby persuading the enemy that there are many more troops present. (General John B. Magruder CSA, at Yorktown in 1862).

If stories are true, Battle of Pelusium on 525 BCE between Persians and Egyptians were one of most intresting. According some sources Persians carried cats so Egyptians couldn't use their arrows because they were afraid that they could accidentally harm holy animals.

Du Guesclin using headology to enter a well fortified castle of Fougeray, one of the strongest places in Brittany during the caroline phase of HYW.
Everybody tought it would require a long and risky siege : Du Guesclin gathered some thirty men and eventually learn after days of watch that it was badly guarded.

They then removed armors, took peasants as quickly they found some (including half of them women) their shitty clothes, and took wood on their back as if to sell to the garrison. For all the journey his men more or less went "we are dead, we are so definitely dead".

They eventually are before the door and Du Guesclin in his best pseudo-peasant woman accent basically said "ouch, My Lor', my ol' backsides, I'm but a frai'l wuman with wood fo' yo' bath my Lor', gracious bounty and all this". The English garrison open the portcullis because of course they had to fall for the law of narrative causality, and Du Guesclin's men all go "my poor side, by St. Stephen an al' the lil' angels,that for su' lemme rest a bit you kind si'", until there's a mess of peasant in the entry and places where they weren't supposed to be, until the guard try to remove them and this is the moment Du Guesclin shout a memorable war cry

"Son of bitches! This is the wood you'll pay dearly! For heat your bath indeed, but we'll fill it with your blood!"

Another good bluff that shouldn't have worked in a million years.

During the campaign in Austria, the bridge of Thabor was critical for the french army that just took Vienna to advance along the Danube and further on Bohemia and Moravia.
Austrians did knew that well,and planned the destruction of the bridge if it was in any danger to fall under French control. Two maréchaux, Murat and Lannes, decided to prevent this to happen in the most bullshitted bluff of all times.

They advanced, alone, towards the Austrians (while having order their troops to advance cautiously and without being noticed). Murat and Lannes saw an Austrian noble they already knew of, the Prince Auersperg that they considered as a complete tool. They advanced cheerfully, loudly proclaiming their relief that an armistice between France and Austria was finally agreed on and thay everyone were pals again, oh and you look positivly splendid in your uniform old chap.
Meanwhile, a squadron of french grenaders advanced the most casually way to the bridge, weapons down and began to hurl powder and artillery pieces into the river.

The Austrian soldiers and especially an old sergent saw trough the ruse because obviously it was so thinly veiled that even a blind man could see it for ****'s sake, and tell the prince "My Lord! You're being decieved! Let me gun these liars and destroy the bridge as our orders are!"
Lannes immeditaly reacted "Oh, my I NEVER. Prince, don't tell me you suffer that a mere seargent order you away like this! Truly the famed austrian discipline is dead if we witness this"

And of course, Auersberg arrested the sergent, allowing French to clean the bridge out of any threat, and as more troops came, and most of Austrians were definitely going to fire, but both men kept telling the prince they were securing what was now a private property and could the prince be kind enough to ask other officers to stop targeting them thanks you very much? And of course, he did obliged them, as Lannes apologized himself to sit on a barrel of powder because he was tired, and not at all because it was the quickest this he pulled to prevent austrian soldiers to use it.

As soon the last artillery piece was out of order, the troops left behind did crossed it, and everyone was for a good laugh, probably riding on the sunset with a 50's serial show music opening.

Last edited:
The siege of Château Gaillard in 1204, when the French took the inner walls by sending men to climb up the castle's toilet shafts, who then let in the rest of the French attacking force. One wonders if they volunteered for that duty.

The siege of Château Gaillard in 1204, when the French took the inner walls by sending men to climb up the castle's toilet shafts, who then let in the rest of the French attacking force. One wonders if they volunteered for that duty.
It's probably more or less legendary as an account, unfortunatly, mostly appearing in the XIXth.

The reality is more embarassing for Anglo-Normans, if possible, tough, as rapported by contemporary chroniclers : John Lackland built a chapel within the walls, and forgot that building glass windows within a fortified wall was a really, REALLY bad idea.

It's probably more or less legendary as an account, unfortunatly, mostly appearing in the XIXth.

The reality is more embarassing for Anglo-Normans, if possible, tough, as rapported by contemporary chroniclers : John Lackland built a chapel within the walls, and forgot that building glass windows within a fortified wall was a really, REALLY bad idea.

Aw, sad. I read that story as a kid and thought it was hilarious.

This is the problem with history; sometimes you learn marvelous new things you never knew, and sometimes you end up deflating the marvelous things you thought you knew.

Having a single unit march in a loop such that on each circuit it passes through an area under enemy observation, thereby persuading the enemy that there are many more troops present. (General John B. Magruder CSA, at Yorktown in 1862).

That kind of deception was probably easier than usual against a commander that desperately wanted to be outnumbered, a rare trait in generals that McClellan just happened to have in abundance.

Aw, sad. I read that story as a kid and thought it was hilarious.

This is the problem with history; sometimes you learn marvelous new things you never knew, and sometimes you end up deflating the marvelous things you thought you knew.
Don't worry : there's still a lot of poop stories and anecdotes in Middle-Ages. Did I ever told you about the day Louis the IXth, also know as the saint, recieved the contents of a full chamber pot on his head?

Don't worry : there's still a lot of poop stories and anecdotes in Middle-Ages. Did I ever told you about the day Louis the IXth, also know as the saint, recieved the contents of a full chamber pot on his head?

No, that's definitely a new one to me...

Admittedly I'd have more for this thread if it was "weird anecdotes" rather than specifically "weird battle tactics."

No, that's definitely a new one to me...
Just a slight derailing before turning back to weird tactics.

One day, early in the morning, the king and some of his men went at horse in the streets of the good city of Paris, returning from vigils.
In the same time, a student from university, who was too poor to afford working at the candle awoke early, with the dawn, to study; and incidentally, he emptied his chamber pot, outside as everyone did, in the same time the king passed below.

Of course, the good sirs and knights went forth to protect their king from another...unfortunate accident, but the good king praised the seriousness of the student (which was probably emptiying himself at this point), and decided to give him large financial support for the rest of his university life (probably in order to allow him some candle, and avoid the king some other unfortunate encounter).

Admittedly I'd have more for this thread if it was "weird anecdotes" rather than specifically "weird battle tactics."
Maybe we should do that.