The eagle's left head

I am not so sure about the Venetians. They won't have forgotten the Duchy of Naxos. However, at the same time in OTL the Catalans were getting involved in one of Venice's crown jewels, Euboea. At the same time, they were plundering merchant ships, venetian ones included.

Last but not least, I bet that the Venetians would be uncomfortable in the case of a total catalanian victory. A House of Barcelona that controls the Balearics, Sicily, Morea and Athens and is currently postponing a campaign to conquer Sardinia, has the potential to become a dominant naval power. The potential power of the Despotate is smaller to that of Aragon.
Yeah the Venetians dislike everyone in the conflict. They'd just probably just see who gets weakened more and deal with the situation accordingly (considering the Vatatzes would come up top the Venetians would be anti Vatatzes eventually) and fight them in the future. The Neapolitans are still the main power in the region, and the Vatatzes are too small and weak for the Venetians to bother them tho. The Venetians would probably see them as potential victims for colonisation if anything.

Last edited:
Well someone could say that it was about time for the Despotate to get challenge seriously. I mean the conquest of Achaea wasn't easy but the barons there didn't really stand a chance against both Vatatzes navy & army as well as Philanthropenos genius and their own peasantry rebelling.

Now against a strong knightly force let's see how the reforms will go. The main force of the Despotate is their levies either way and they haven't being used since the peace with the Angevins more than a decade ago. They are gonna form the bulk of the defensive force and due to their better equipment and training than the average Sicilian levy I see a huge advantage here. Still they have a lot of men who haven't seen combat and could break against a big charge of knights, rather unlikely due to being also led by veterans and fighting for their homes and lives.

I am not sure about the numbers here but in theory the Despotate in Sicily could muster about 15k infantry and like 5k cavalry with about 1000 heavy cavalry? That is my guess really as last time Vatatzes had a lot of Catalan mercenaries. Of course with time those numbers could have risen beyond that but as stated in 1302 there were 8k infantry from "natives" so doubling them is no small feat. Mercenaries could be procured from Naples boosting those numbers. So with these numbers in mind what would be the best strategy? Scorched earth and pin the Sicilians to a siege and crush them or maybe a head on battle that will crash their advance before any damage is made? The first is highly damaging to the economy but far more safe for the army and the later risks everything on a frontal confrontation, which to be fair the Despot can do really as he has safe bases to retreat if he gets beaten but the morale of the army would be hurt if that is the case.

Now in what situation is the Capetanate of Hellas is up to guess. More than likely they can muster 5k men both infantry and cavalry at the bare minimum and also they have the castle of Corinth to stop any advance of the Catalans from Attica. Of course the rest of the country is heavily fortified as well so it won't be easy for a small army to take any considerable part of it.

On the navy the situation is a bit murky. @X Oristos has mentioned in a guess about 100 ships, although split between Messina and the Aegean. I would guess that after the recent galley built up in Messina there would be there like 45-60 galleys and about 20-35 in the Aegean which leaves the navy up to be defeated in detail if the Ferdinands unite their navies which I find highly unlikely. The Morean front on the Aragonese side it seems that they have the upper hand in ships as Orsini's ships in addition to the Aragonese expedition should be at least than 35 ships. The Sicilian front on the other hand the Despotate should enjoy a slight advantage in numbers as Frederick has around 44 galleys available at the moment. This still doesn't provide any naval superiority so the battle for the sea is up in the air.

Now we know the Despotate has a veteran army which could be trusted to best Frederick their navy hasn't fought a very challenging fight since the Vespers. I mean the Aegean part has of course experience against Turkish pirates and against the Knights of Rhodes but they are quite far away. I have trust in the mercantile Messinians and their sea tradition though.

Anyhow expecting a great war ahead which could make or break the Despotate. My prediction is a quick victory against the Sicilians in land with a quick truce and then a wipeout of the Aragonese in Morea as well. The Catalans will be challenged later with maybe a two pronged assault of the Empire and the Despotate? Idk we shall see

Anyhow expecting a great war ahead which could make or break the Despotate. My prediction is a quick victory against the Sicilians in land with a quick truce and then a wipeout of the Aragonese in Morea as well. The Catalans will be challenged later with maybe a two pronged assault of the Empire and the Despotate? Idk we shall see.
I definitely think that the Sicilians would be the first force to break if the Aragonese expedition fights with the Sicilians. If the Vatatzes can't have naval supremacy due to the Aragonese, it depends on where Phipantropos is. If he's at Italy the Sicilians are going to fold very quickly, but it'd mean that Morea would sustain more damage due to the likely fall of Corinth and the Catalans moving in. If he is at Morea Corinth probably won't fall but the Vatatzes' Italian holdings would probably be damaged a lot more except Calabria, which would be the least affected other then by some raids.

Now against a strong knightly force let's see how the reforms will go.

I would argue that the knights of Morea were equal to the Sicilian ones. After all, when Prince William participated in Louis' Egyptian Crusade, his knights were considered as equal to metrpolitan French knights. If I remember correctly, an advisor of Louis adviced the king to call more knights from Morea, praising their prowess.

In the OTL War of the Vespers, Sicily didn't field more than 700 knights in any campaign. In 1328, Frederick sent 500-600 knights to join the Emperor at Pisa. Considering that Frederick controls now only 2/3 of Sicily, I don't think he can field more than 400 knights. If we add the stratiotai of Calabria, I think Alexandros has parity in heavy cavalry and a significant qualitative advantage in heavy infantry.

I really doubt Corinth would fall. It has a really impressive castle to fall easily by any means : Acrocorinth
That is very true. Bernat is still a very good commander even if the soldiery won't betray the Vatatzes, so I could see him attempting to just bypass Corinth instead tho, which would negatively affect Morea. Acrocorinth is still insane tho for what it is.
In the OTL War of the Vespers, Sicily didn't field more than 700 knights in any campaign. In 1328, Frederick sent 500-600 knights to join the Emperor at Pisa. Considering that Frederick controls now only 2/3 of Sicily, I don't think he can field more than 400 knights. If we add the stratiotai of Calabria, I think Alexandros has parity in heavy cavalry and a significant qualitative advantage in heavy infantry.
tbf I think Alexandros has slightly more heavy cavalry then Frederick due to Frederick's losses in the war he just fought. Frederick should have less knights than Alexandros from the onset (he prob would bring the numbers back up with mercs, but coupled with his money problems Frederick should have much less knights aviable). Coupled with the fact that the tactics Philantropos and Alexandros are pioneering it seems like it'd be a terrible time for Frederick in general.

Last edited:
That is very true. Bernat is still a very good commander even if the soldiery won't betray the Vatatzes, so I could see him attempting to just bypass Corinth instead tho, which would negatively affect Morea. Acrocorinth is still insane tho for what it is.

tbf I think Alexandros has slightly more heavy cavalry then Frederick due to Frederick's losses in the war he just fought. Frederick should have less knights than Alexandros from the onset (he prob would bring the numbers back up with mercs, but coupled with his money problems Frederick should have much less knights aviable). Coupled with the fact that the tactics Philantropos and Alexandros are pioneering it seems like it'd be a terrible time for Frederick in general.
Would Bernat , an experienced commander , make an error so horrible as this ? He would effectively willingly sever his supply lines and enter a hostile territory where he will have to live off the land while under threat from the army the Vatatzes will field . All that while he will be effectively cut off by all reinforcements (because it's unlikely he can have a reinforcing force large enough to safely pass without being at severe risk of attack ) and he has no real line of retreat in case something goes wrong . Add to that the fact that his men have already worked for his enemy once before and by worsening his circumstances, he increases the chances of desertion at the first sign of trouble by a lot .

so I could see him attempting to just bypass Corinth instead tho, which would negatively affect Morea. Acrocorinth is still insane tho for what it is.
Bypass Corinth? Bernat could launch raids beyond, but with Corinth and the Acrocorinth at his back, and no navy (even if Aragonese ships do step in, they'd have to deal with the Vatatzes in the Ionian sea, just to keep open their lines of supply, before venturing into the gulf of Corinth or the Aegean), I hardly see how the Catalans could just walk by.

Besides, I'm not sure we can say from the last post the Aragonese are throwing their hats into the ring. As far as I know, Infante Ferdinand is from the Majorca branch of the House of Barcelona (who rule is essentially the Balearic islands, Roussillon and Montpellier, basically a consolation crown for James II of Majorca from his father), his sister is married to... Robert I of Sicily/Naples.
Ferdinand's marriage in Palermo and his expedition to Achaea can be described as cadets of the House of Barcelona making common cause, but nowhere do I see James II of Aragon being directly involved, the very same who twenty years before not only washed his hands of Sicily but sided with the Pope and the Angevins against his own brother Frederick.
What would make one suppose he has changed minds and has any interest whatsoever about what is happening in Sicily and Achaea?
Allowing Bernat, his brother or his cousin to recruit is one thing (which though would imply they have the financial resources to enable this, which is less than certain in Frederick's case after his Italian adventures), but sending his own ships in a war he has nothing to gain from (since again he has showed he didn't care about his brother before) is another.

Bypass Corinth? Bernat could launch raids beyond, but with Corinth and the Acrocorinth at his back, and no navy (even if Aragonese ships do step in, they'd have to deal with the Vatatzes in the Ionian sea, just to keep open their lines of supply, before venturing into the gulf of Corinth or the Aegean), I hardly see how the Catalans could just walk by.
Yeah I defo don't see them getting beyond Corinth much.
Besides, I'm not sure we can say from the last post the Aragonese are throwing their hats into the ring. As far as I know, Infante Ferdinand is from the Majorca branch of the House of Barcelona (who rule is essentially the Balearic islands, Roussillon and Montpellier, basically a consolation crown for James II of Majorca from his father), his sister is married to... Robert I of Sicily/Naples.
Ferdinand's marriage in Palermo and his expedition to Achaea can be described as cadets of the House of Barcelona making common cause, but nowhere do I see James II of Aragon being directly involved, the very same who twenty years before not only washed his hands of Sicily but sided with the Pope and the Angevins against his own brother Frederick.
What would make one suppose he has changed minds and has any interest whatsoever about what is happening in Sicily and Achaea?
Allowing Bernat, his brother or his cousin to recruit is one thing (which though would imply they have the financial resources to enable this, which is less than certain in Frederick's case after his Italian adventures), but sending his own ships in a war he has nothing to gain from (since again he has showed he didn't care about his brother before) is another.
Yeah I'm assuming the worst case scenario for the Vatatzes because otherwise the Vatatzes navy would just crush Orsini's navy and sail to Italy to crush Frederick's navy along the rest of the navy. The land war would prob have Frederick be defeated by pike and shot along with a cavalry charge that becomes the hammer against the pikemen's anvil, then the army would just get on boats and sail for Corinth and beat Bernat's army with relative ease.

Post war I'd think Roger would be more weary of the Vatatzes considering they're becoming more and more powerful since it's very likely that they get Athens and possibly Thessaly, along with Cephaladonia and the such (where does Orsini go btw?).

Yeah I'm assuming the worst case scenario for the Vatatzes because otherwise the Vatatzes navy would just crush Orsini's navy and sail to Italy to crush Frederick's navy along the rest of the navy. The land war would prob have Frederick be defeated by pike and shot along with a cavalry charge that becomes the hammer against the pikemen's anvil, then the army would just get on boats and sail for Corinth and beat Bernat's army with relative ease.

Post war I'd think Roger would be more weary of the Vatatzes considering they're becoming more and more powerful since it's very likely that they get Athens and possibly Thessaly, along with Cephaladonia and the such (where does Orsini go btw?).
Athens is probable, though given the terms proposed after Mantinea to the Athenian barons (october 1308, Theodoros would marry Maud and become despot of Athens), I wonder whether it would become a separate entity as Theodoros' personal fief, or in line with the overall Vatatzes policy of centralization, be incorporated into the Catepanate of Hellas and de jure annexed to the Despotate of the Two Sicilies when Ioannis' and Maria's heir succeeds to the Despotate.

Thessaly though is more likely to revert to imperial rule. The actions of Michael IX in the region means the imperials have a prior presence and modicum of authority in the region (from their port in Demetrias and Euboea), which imply they have a more "natural" claim to it than the Vatatzes (who still had the Catalans standing between them and Thessaly). An alliance of convenience between Theodoros and Michael IX would be possible, a common cause against the Catalans, Michael IX to revert his fortunes against the Catalans, recover Demetrias and Larissa, while the Catalans are stuck against Corinth's walls, which would be easier to do if the epitropos of Morea (Michael Kantakouzenos then Andronikos Asen) would help the Vatatzes, since they would already hard pressed facing Infante Ferdinand in western Peloponnese, to ensure they effectively remain stuck here or at the very least forced to guard the isthmus and unable to send reinforcement to Thessaly.

Last edited:
Bye bye Frederick, it was nice knowing you.

Are the Aragonese willing to back Frederick in any way?
Possibly. The two are closely connected after all. Though for the most part this is Frederick actively aiding the Aragonese conquest of Sardinia, at considerable cost to the Sicilian crown, while James just allows and encourages mercenaries to go to Sicily...
It does seem like things quite quickly turned against House Vatatzes, however we are seeing none of their preparations, intelligence gathering, etc. Alexandros has been preparing for something like this long before he walked out of parliament. I am surprised by the seeming coordination between Greece and Sicily, that seems a bit like dramatic license to me. Based on the levels of competence involved I think there's a good chance of Theodore defeating Ferdinand before he can link up with the Catalans and the Vatatzes fleet crushing Frederick's leaving House Vatatzes in a very strong position. Subsequently defeating the Catalans might be a nice opportunity for rapproachment between Constantinople and the Vatatzes.
Ferdinand did invade Achaea with Aragonese/Sicilian backing in OTL at this very time so it looks an obvious move here, as is to sic the Catalan company on Achaea simultaneously, again it was requested even in OTL. After all it does not cost Frederick troops and money. These are coming from Majorca and Ferdinand himself.
Fredrick you have higher priorities right now to deal with but u just have to fight the Greeks huh? Bruh
He has some excuses. After all he's just signed a truce with Robert...
Frederick trying to fight his strongest (nominal) vassal while embroiled in a war against the Angevins seems like a losing prospect, though I can definitely see the Catalans pushing the Despotate out of Achaea until Sicily is dealt with.
Technically he just signed a two year truce with the Angevins. If he can destroy Alexandros in that time window, and Frederick was always... very confident of himself even when the Angevins kept beating him up like a drum, it allows him to then deal with Robert from a much better position.
I wonder whether in TTL the Catalans got involved in Euboea, like conspiring with Baron Bonifacio and controlling Karystos as in OTL. Such moves would alarm Venice.
Venice would be alarmed by a Catalan Greece in general. Bernat though is more likely to be looking northwards, he had ambitions of becoming king of Thessalonica in OTL after all.
John II Angelos still lives and he is married to the illegitimate daughter of Andronikos. When the Catalans move south to invade the Catepanate of Hellas, I can see Michael IX returning to help his brother-in-law. Michael considered himself a soldier and didn't enjoy his (quite regular) failures as a commander. A chance for the co-emperor to show his value!
It's unclear why Michael kept being beaten up. Personal failures? Or his dad making a mess of the army?

Giovanni Orsini is screwed. Regardless of what happens in the mainland, the Despotate enjoys naval supremacy. The day of reckoning is not far away and it will produce very interesting butterflies. I doubt Despot Thomas of Epirus will be murdered as in OTL. Moreover, the Byzantines have to deal with the Catalans in Thessaly and won't raid Epirus as in OTL. Direct control of the Orsini fiefs will be a nice addition to Sicily: Cephalonia , Zakynthos, Lefkada and Ithaca.
That remains to be seen. For now Orsini is taking a possibly justifiable risk.

In OTL the Catalans employed Turkish mercenaries. I wonder whether if the move they just did is at the same scale as in OTL or if they escalated the cooperation with the beyliks. If it is the latter, I wonder how the Knights of St John will take it.
Not very well but then the pope was asking the knights to attack the Catalans even in OTL. Then again there is no pope at the moment.

I am pretty sure Robert would like all his patrimony back, be it in the hands of Alexandros or Frederick. For the time being though, Alexandros is playing nice while Frederick is an actual danger since he supports the Ghibellines in mainland Italy. At this point, Frederick is the main backer of the ghibelline cause. The fact that he just assumed the title of Robert himself, hasn't helped either.
A vassal/allied Alexandros that controls part of Sicily is likely acceptable. At a stretch so is an independent one. A non Angevin in control of the entire island is likely not.

Oh oh...
Sure the peasants of Achaea will be glad to welcome back their former masters and supply them with all needed for a protracted siege. Obviously, the Catepanate of Hellas has not enough galleys of its own (Chios, the Cyclades...) to be able to raid Attica, launch a coup de main against a couple castles here and prop up revolt here against an enemy who has no fleet but surely the loyalty of their subjects and enough manpower to keep safe the entire length of its coasts... Oh wait, they don't.
Bernat is not an idiot obviously. Perhaps overly confident. But he has issues of his own. Namely that his own men would not take it well if he refused to come to the aid of what they see as their royal house.
What's that point on the map again? Marathon? Hmm, never heard of.
And Frederick as ever smart to attack a vassal who has had many years of peace, and stores full of grain, while he is broke and Robert lurks around.
The alternative would be to let him grow richer and more powerful while he is embroiled at war with the Angevins. What do you mean he had no reason to start said war in the first place?
More seriously, Hellas has had almost six years of peace now, and from its Aegean domains, it has enough ships to avoid relying on help from Eastern Sicily and Calabria, especially when confronted to the likes of Orsini and the Catalans. Of his own admission (october 1309), Bernat has no fleet, and I doubt he'd have done much since the deal with Ioannis to change that.
The Catalans engaged in widespread piracy in the Aegean after 1311 and till the Venetians nearly went to war with them and Sicily. So they do have a fleet. Short of...
And back in August 1305, Orsini had "discovered" the legitimacy of Ioannis' claim when Vatatzes ships showed up the flag at Cephalonia, so I don't think Theodoros would have much trouble cutting off Orsini and Ferdinand from resupply in their effort to besiege Glarentza.
The Frankish-Aragonese invasion force has little chance to get any friendly welcome so it will be hard enough to procure supply, especially as after the previous war, local militias are more likely than not to give a bloody nose to any foraging party. Then, I wonder, if their main force is besieging Glarentza, who is left guarding the Palatine county?
Fort garrisons but that is a story for later. :p
If Theodoros cuts them off and gain naval supremacy, what prevents him from invading Cephalonia and Corfu?
Corfu is Angevin...

Back in Sicily, Frederick is short on money after his war against Robert and provisions due to bad harvests, while Alexandros has untouched lands, a thriving economy (not to mention Robert's money from purchasing his grain) and an experienced, competent and veteran army and navy, contrasting with the royal forces' misfortunes on the field.
And while there is a truce with Robert, I'm not seeing Naples sitting idle. If either Frederick or Alexandros stand to win the whole of the island, that would at Robert's detriment, while if he breaks the truce, he has better odds now than ever, than he had at Trapani before, even if he and Alexandros don't coordinate.
Robert is out of the picture as far as direct involvement goes till 1317...
Seriously, I've no idea why Bernat would do this other then wanting to fight after conquering significant territories. He really should be consolidating his conquests rather than fighting the Vatatzes. I think the Vatatzes would be winning big by the end of it, with them gaining Athens at the very least, but additional territories in Sicily proper (or even all of Sicily) could be possible too. Maybe they'd get influence over Epirus and Thessaly too.
Because he's keeping herd of 5,000 unruly, ungentlemanly thugs, that feel at least a modicum of loyalty to the house of Barcelona. Betraying the house of Barcelona, would not be taken very well by the rank and file. Which is potentially bad for your health if you are Bernat.

Well someone could say that it was about time for the Despotate to get challenge seriously. I mean the conquest of Achaea wasn't easy but the barons there didn't really stand a chance against both Vatatzes navy & army as well as Philanthropenos genius and their own peasantry rebelling.
If anything the conquest of Achaea might have been a bit too fast, but I digress.
On the navy the situation is a bit murky. @X Oristos has mentioned in a guess about 100 ships, although split between Messina and the Aegean. I would guess that after the recent galley built up in Messina there would be there like 45-60 galleys and about 20-35 in the Aegean which leaves the navy up to be defeated in detail if the Ferdinands unite their navies which I find highly unlikely. The Morean front on the Aragonese side it seems that they have the upper hand in ships as Orsini's ships in addition to the Aragonese expedition should be at least than 35 ships.
Pretty doubtful they'd have that many war galleys. The three banked ships that are becoming the norm have crews of 213 men or more each. 35 galleys mean over 7000 men. Ferdinand showed up in OTL at the head of a FAR smaller army.

Would Bernat , an experienced commander , make an error so horrible as this ? He would effectively willingly sever his supply lines and enter a hostile territory where he will have to live off the land while under threat from the army the Vatatzes will field . All that while he will be effectively cut off by all reinforcements (because it's unlikely he can have a reinforcing force large enough to safely pass without being at severe risk of attack ) and he has no real line of retreat in case something goes wrong . Add to that the fact that his men have already worked for his enemy once before and by worsening his circumstances, he increases the chances of desertion at the first sign of trouble by a lot .
His men are loyal, shorta kinda so, to Aragon, with the exception of his Turkish mercenaries of course...

Bernat is not an idiot obviously. Perhaps overly confident. But he has issues of his own. Namely that his own men would not take it well if he refused to come to the aid of what they see as their royal house.
The Catalans engaged in widespread piracy in the Aegean after 1311 and till the Venetians nearly went to war with them and Sicily. So they do have a fleet. Short of...
Not saying he was one. I was trying to say his hand is not necessarily a good one, even though he cannot do otherwise, because he has to besiege Corinth.
Admittedly, the naval factor is the largest unknown in my extrapolation, but I surmised that the Catalans could not have really stood up to Vatatzes ships, even against Chios' based fleet alone. I'm not sure if the Catalans having engaged in piracy would impact the larger picture; at the very least, it will fix a part of the Vatatzes fleet in the Aegean by raiding, but I'm not seeing them winning a pitched battle. Plus if the Knights (not to mention the Venetians) are sufficiently infuriated to make once again common cause with the Vatatzes (between the TTL precedent of Amorgos in 1312 and the Pope asking them OTL to attack the Catalans as you write, it might not be too far fetched), the Catalans' maritime fortunes might turn short sooner rather than later.

The alternative would be to let him grow richer and more powerful while he is embroiled at war with the Angevins. What do you mean he had no reason to start said war in the first place?
I only meant Frederick's reasoning was perfectly logical for the reasons you cited, but in effect irrational.

Robert is out of the picture as far as direct involvement goes till 1317...
So, grab the pop corn and watch on the sidelines... So Robert will actually keep true to his word, or are there other factors like exhaustion that dissuade him from breaking the truce?

His men are loyal, shorta kinda so, to Aragon, with the exception of his Turkish mercenaries of course...
Then again , his men are mercenaries , so loyalty isn't exactly their strong suit . If ( or when ) things start going bad , they may start remembering other things , as mercenaries often tend to do ...

@Lascaris is Smyrna held by the Genoese right now as in OTL?

It's unclear why Michael kept being beaten up. Personal failures? Or his dad making a mess of the army?
Perhaps a combination of both? Andronikos seriously neglected the army and often expeditionary forces were formed ad hoc. Having said that, a good commander might have used even surch a force to achieve a modicum of success. I think it is plausible that Michael was a good warrior but a mediocre commander who was further screwed by the state of the army.

Not very well but then the pope was asking the knights to attack the Catalans even in OTL. Then again there is no pope at the moment.
From one side, the Order had a close relationship with the Crown of Aragon. In Aragon, Catalonia and Valencia the fate of the former lands of the Templars was an open question until 1317. Moreover, Catalan Hospitallers brokered the marriage of Jaime with Marie Lusignan. On the other hand, the Duchy of Athens is not a fief of Jaime who hasn't shown an interest on a greek expansion. Also they ally with Turkish raiders and at the same time the Despotate is the only "ally" they can hope to have against Menteshe and Aydin. After all, at this point (pre 1320) the Hospitallers are not yet secure from the turkish threat.

Overall, I think that the Hospitallers might be persuaded to attack the Catalans of Athens, especially any squadron that carries Turkish mercenaries. At the same time, I don't think they would act against the Majorcans at Morea.

Last edited:
Athens is probable, though given the terms proposed after Mantinea to the Athenian barons (october 1308, Theodoros would marry Maud and become despot of Athens), I wonder whether it would become a separate entity as Theodoros' personal fief, or in line with the overall Vatatzes policy of centralization, be incorporated into the Catepanate of Hellas and de jure annexed to the Despotate of the Two Sicilies when Ioannis' and Maria's heir succeeds to the Despotate.

Thessaly though is more likely to revert to imperial rule. The actions of Michael IX in the region means the imperials have a prior presence and modicum of authority in the region (from their port in Demetrias and Euboea), which imply they have a more "natural" claim to it than the Vatatzes (who still had the Catalans standing between them and Thessaly). An alliance of convenience between Theodoros and Michael IX would be possible, a common cause against the Catalans, Michael IX to revert his fortunes against the Catalans, recover Demetrias and Larissa, while the Catalans are stuck against Corinth's walls, which would be easier to do if the epitropos of Morea (Michael Kantakouzenos then Andronikos Asen) would help the Vatatzes, since they would already hard pressed facing Infante Ferdinand in western Peloponnese, to ensure they effectively remain stuck here or at the very least forced to guard the isthmus and unable to send reinforcement to Thessaly.
Yeah that makes sense. The Empire and the Despotate allying and letting the Empire get Thessaly if they win. I do think the Empire would still be in a terrible state as the Serbian empire pops up tho.

I still wonder about Kantakozenous' son tho. After he went with Theodore to fight the Latins against the Emperor's orders we've not heard from him and I'm curious about his fate. Would he be part of the Vatatzes instead?
Because he's keeping herd of 5,000 unruly, ungentlemanly thugs, that feel at least a modicum of loyalty to the house of Barcelona. Betraying the house of Barcelona, would not be taken very well by the rank and file. Which is potentially bad for your health if you are Bernat.
that is true... dumping them back to Turkish controlled lands isn't an option too, and the rest want a Latin Greece which as been dashed by the Vatatzes.
@Lascaris is Smyrna held by the Genoese right now as in OTL?
They probably still do considering the pod, but it'd be a lot more insecure for the Genoese since Chios and the surrounding islands are held by the Vatatzes.
Overall, I think that the Hospitallers might be persuaded to attack the Catalans of Athens, especially any squadron that carries Turkish mercenaries. At the same time, I don't think they would act against the Majorcans at Morea.
Tbf I think the knights are going to be vassalised by the Vatatzes bc of circumstances of Venice and Genoa while the pope gets switched around way too often.

Part 34
Sicily, July 1315

Another man fell down from heatstroke, as the Sicilian army marched on to Syracuse. Potable water was sparse as wells in the path of the army were poisoned. The army of the despot was nowhere to be found. Neither was the harvest. The threshing had been complete a few weeks ago and Alexandros had made certain that as much as possible was secured. The peasants, the ones that had not run off to the fortresses had made certain to hide the rest lest it not end in the hands of the armies marching through their fields. Of course Frederick had sent out men to forage and such men had ways of... persuading the peasants to part with their food supply when they fell to their hands. But if Frederick's army hadn't met Alexandros army, the same had not been true for his foraging parties. Philanthropenos cavalry was out in force leaving leaving behind it a trail of Sicilian soldiers cut down in ambushes or found on stakes. And yet Frederick's army marched on, despite the difficulties.

Mystras, July 1315

This time Theodore had not come in person to ask for aid, he was mustering the army to take on the Catalan invaders. But he did not need to. Epitropos Kantakouzenos had no intention of exchanging a friendly neighbor that at least in theory paid fealty to the basileus with another bunch of Catalans. His army, under his son Ioannis, he was too old to lead it in person, would march to join up his Achaean brethren.

Syracuse, July 22nd, 1315

It had taken Frederick three weeks to reach Syracuse. Having reached it, he had called on Alexandros to surrender to royal justice. Alexandros had of course refused. Properties observed, Frederick had then challenged Alexandros either to give battle or to single combat only for Alexandros to refuse once more, even saying he was fighting a war not a game, an unchivalrous action that did not fail to scandalize Frederick's knights and Frederick himself. No other options left Frederick set down on besieging Syracuse. As Robert Anjou had learned during the war of the Vespers It was no easy task. Alexandros had spent over 550,000 ducats back in the 1280s building up the fortifications of Syracuse with further improvements built in since then. The ancient fortress of Euryalus had been built anew, as had been the fortifications of Ortygia and the Grand Harbor and the walls connecting the city with Euryalus effectively restoring the defensive system of ancient times. If there was a drawback in the fortifications it was that Alexandros had been perhaps overly ambitious and had built too big, with large areas within the walls being empty and the entire length of the walls being almost 31 kilometers, the current city was after all just a fraction of the size of the ancient one. All the empty space within the walls was proving useful in sheltering the peasantry. But it also needed more men to properly defend...

Messina, July 28th, 1315

The port was in a flurry of activity as men, horses and supplies from Calabria were crossing over to Messina, covered by a fleet of thirty galleys. The entire army of the despotate in Calabria was being transferred to Sicily. Under normal circumstances Ioannis, in command of the Despotate forces, would be wary of the Angevins. But Robert had given Ioammis assurances of his neutrality. And conveniently the Neapolitan army, under Philip prince of Taranto had marched north to join with the Florentines n a campaign against Pisa...

Larisa, August 1315

An imperial army under Philis Palaiologos had come to the aid of the city, supported by Serb mercenaries ad a detachment of Epirote soldiers sent by depot Thomas I came to the support of the besieged city. While smallish, this new imperial army would prove much more effective, that Michael's the previous year. The siege of Larisa would be prolonged as Bernat had to split his efforts between Philis and the besieged.

Manolada, Peloponnese, August 5th, 1315.

Ferdinand of Majorca and John II Orsini had been forced to lift the siege of Glarenza to meet the Achaean army under Theodore Lascaris. Their joint army a bit over 3,000 men including 600 knights, had been outnumbered by Theodore's 4,000 men but they did not have many other options aside from giving battle. A week earlier the reinforcements Ferdinand was hoping for had indeed come when 10 galleys from Majorca had showed up off Glarenza, only to be set upon by Theodore's fleet of 25 galleys and destroyed before they could land their men and supplies. And thus Ferdinand and John had given battle hoping their knights would carry the date before Kantakouzenos army, another 3,000 men would join Theodore giving him crushing numerical superiority. They would fail in both calculations. The knights and for that matter Ferdinand's Almogavars would not manage to break Theodore's infantry squares, nor best his pronoia cavalry. And then Kantakouzenos army had managed to reach the field in time turning what was going to be a defeat into a rout. Both Ferdinand and John would perish on the battlefield...

The first pawn of the campaign was removed . The Catalan-Orsini army that landed in Achaea is gone completely . That leaves Bernat in a rather uncomfortable position , especially if the Despotate is aware of his involvement with the invasion force . I would expect his holdings to be attacked from the south at least by the imperial force that is already assembled . He will have to choose between coming back and defending his lands ( while most likely shadowed and harassed by the northern imperial force ) or to continue the siege and risk even more imperial troops arriving . He is going to get stuck between hammer and anvil .
The Despotate also has the opportunity of moving some of its troops from Achaea to Sicily . What is the balance of power in Sicily right now when it comes to troops ?