Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

would try advocate a direct-elected presidential election and term limits?
Don't know about Try himself, but the PKPI's Liberal Wing would definitely pushed that, now that Try is officially starting his 2nd full term (and 3rd term overall).

28th December 2001:

Then came the political discussion. Siswono asked about the subject of presidential term limits and how many, including himself had advocated a maximum of two terms for presidents after Soeharto.

Harsudiono asked for some leniency. There are those in the legal field who see the current term as the President’s second term, the first term being the first 3 months after he had succeeded from Soeharto. Suddenly imposing term limits would mean that the President is not eligible for another term. Siswono backed down though he asked that the topic be revisited “further down the road”.

All present expressed their support for another term for President Try Sutrisno and said that they extend the same support for Vice President JB Sumarlin saying that the latter could claim to be the architect of Indonesia’s economic recovery.

I'm no Yusril but my hunch is that while the permitted term limit would be two full terms (so that if one has completed two full terms he would be no longer eligible), an extension would be allowed for another one term (whether it would be fully completed or ended early), provided if one of the first two terms is not longer than 1/3 of the term (609 days, or 1 year and 8 months).

As can be seen above, Try's 1st term is just 102 days long, and now he has already completed his 2nd term fully, so whether his 3rd term would be completed or not by March 11th 2008, Try would be no longer eligible for presidency and vice-presidency.

I think economic situation-wise, the thing that will be different in the next 5 years as compared to OTL are:
-No Iraq War because in ITTL, we're days away from the US and its Coalition conducting a ground invasion of Yugoslavia. (I'm looking around AH.com for "WI no Iraq War" TLs to see what effect this has on oil prices.
Imagine a Try-Saddam summit...

Last edited:
would try advocate a direct-elected presidential election and term limits?
If his OTL self's comments, made just last month, is any indication, no to the former but yes to the latter (https://news.detik.com/berita/d-7030211/try-sutrisno-minta-mpr-kembalikan-uud-1945-sebelum-amandemen).

I'm no Yusril but my hunch is that while the permitted term limit would be two full terms (so that if one has completed two full terms he would be no longer eligible), an extension would be allowed for another one term (whether it would be fully completed or ended early), provided if one of the first two terms is not longer than 1/3 of the term (609 days, or 1 year and 8 months).

As can be seen above, Try's 1st term is just 102 days long, and now he has already completed his 2nd term fully, so whether his 3rd term would be completed or not by March 11th 2008, Try would be no longer eligible for presidency and vice-presidency.
Don't forget, the constitution still in play ITTL is still the original 1945 Constitution. There's no term limits in that constitution because it just says the president and VP can be elected again without saying how many times.

I think what was being gotten at in that conversation was "Let's not have this conversation about term limits now because if term limits are put in place now, some might say Try's not eligible to run."

I feel that term limits and more direct democracy will eventually be an issue though I'm also still wondering around for how things will play out. At the end of the day, Try's regime is at best a hybrid regime rather than a full-fledged democracy; a "cleaner" and more loosened up version of Soeharto's New Order.

Imagine a Try-Saddam summit...
Hosni Mubarak would have a field day on it (either to facilitate a relationship or to breaking up a fight between them, idk much about Hosni-Saddam's relationship, tbh).
If Wikipedia is any indication it is a rocky relationship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt–Iraq_relations).

It just occured to me that there may be someone reading this who's not Asian who will be astounded at how every meeting described here always involves food in some way, either in breakfasts, lunches, and dinners at private & official residences, meetings taken in restaurants and cafes with tea and cakes.

If Iraq war is butterflied (Iraq broke relations with Egypt because Egypt joined Kuwait) then Try could have another potential trade partner.
Would Saddam adopted Try's approach to douse the separatist and sectarian tensions within the country?

We could have the second Pervez Musharraf right there.

241: Settling Into A New Term
12th March 2003:
In a special session led by Chairman of the DPR Matori Abdul Djalil, the DPR passed the 2003/2004 Budget into law. The law had been ready for passing before the MPR General Session but had been delayed until after it to accommodate the possibility of a new president being elected and wanting to revise the budget.

In a joint press conference at the Presidential Palace, State Secretary Edi Sudrajat and Cabinet Secretary Hayono Isman announced that President Try Sutrisno has issued instructions for all ministers to be ready to conduct a handover. When asked when the new cabinet would be announced, Edi only said that the timing will be the President’s call.

13th March 2003:
Though it was a public holiday to replace the Islamic New Year Holiday which occurred during the MPR General Session, the President called a meeting with Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs/Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar, Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo, and Edi Sudrajat.

The meeting discussed the United States and its Coalition’ “humanitarian intervention” against Yugoslavia which had begun with air strikes to be followed by ground invasion. The President asked the meeting for their thoughts of about the impact of this conflict on Indonesia.

Ari Sudewo said that this means the United States is now officially taking on a “second war” in addition to the War on Terror/War in Afghanistan. The concern here is that for Asia, its focus will be elsewhere and that, with China having limited its involvement in providing aid to Yugoslavia, China will be freer to pursue its agenda in Asia.

Marzuki added that General Secretary of the Communist Party Luo Gan will assume the presidency in a few days’ time. The information from the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing is that Luo’s likely priorities in foreign policy will be continuing to make the world even more multipolar and trying to persuade more nations to switch from diplomatic relations with Taiwan to diplomatic relations with China. This, however, does not mean that Luo and China will have no interests outside of these two priorities, including its interests in Southeast Asia.

The President agreed with the notion that China will be freer to pursue its agenda in Asia, including Southeast Asia.

“Paradoxically, it will be to our advantage for China being more free to pursue its agenda”, the President said “They will see that our concerns about China are legitimate instead of being a ploy to fulfill our “hegemonic aspirations”, as our Malaysian friends like to call it.”

The concern coming from Wismoyo was Australia. The United States and its Coalition are going into Yugoslavia without the United Kingdom after the House of Commons failed to give its approval to the government. Now, the United States are turning to other members of the coalition to fill in the gap left behind by the United Kingdom. Australia, Wismoyo said, is the one looking to send the most personnel to Yugoslavia.

“They’re the ones deciding to send more personnel to Yugoslavia and then they’ll be the ones to feel exposed in front of us because their personnel and equipment are all the way in Yugoslavia” the President muttered shaking his head “I'm sure there’ll be some mischief from the Aussies’ end.”

14th March 2003:
It was the day that cabinet speculation, which had slowly been building up since the end of the MPR General Session reached fever pitch with media outlets trying to dig up information about who’s staying put, who’s moving, and who will be the new faces in the cabinet.

There were plenty of clues as to who would no longer be in the cabinet. At a swearing in ceremony of Department of Public Works officials, Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar burst into tears when he called on the Department of Public Works to go on and complete various infrastructure even though “I will no longer be there”.

It was not all tears. Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad, inspecting a tax office where people were filing their tax returns, looked contented saying that after 10 years, he has had his fill of being minister. Minister of Religion Quraish Shihab was also cheerful when he said that he had requested not to be considered for a position in the next cabinet. He said he wants to complete his exegesis on the Qur’an and that he wants his daughter Najwa, a junior prosecutor, to shine on the basis of merit instead of on the basis of being a minister’s daughter.

At the Presidential Palace, Wismoyo Arismunandar came out of a meeting with the President. Wismoyo announced to the press that the Navy’s 4 Sigma Missile Corvettes has arrived. The press however, was more interested on whether Wismoyo was staying or not. Wismoyo only chuckled.

“Rotations in and out of various offices are positions are nothing new for a military man like me”, Wismoyo said “I just want to say that what the President and I have been working on in the previous term is just the beginning.”

At the Department of Foreign Affairs, Ginandjar Kartasasmita watched as his driver loaded boxes of items in his car. He was all smiles as he posed for pictures before getting in his car.

“You all have seen the last of me”, Ginandjar said “At least for now.”

15th March 2003:
At the Presidential Palace today, the President led a ceremony in which he swore in the following:

*Gen. TB Hasanuddin as Commander of ABRI
*Adm. Djoko Sumaryono as Deputy Commander of ABRI
*Lt. Gen. Srijanto as Army Chief of Staff with a promotion to the rank of general
*V. Adm. Djoko Agoes Hanoeng as Navy Chief of Staff with a promotion to the rank of admiral
*Mshl. Teddy Sumarno as Air Force Chief of Staff with a promotion to the rank of air chief marshal
*Lt. Gen. (Pol.) I Made Mangku Pastika as Chief of Police with a promotion to the rank of police general

The President’s close relationship with TB Hasanuddin was evident. When the President walked to shake TB’s hands at the conclusion of the ceremony, TB saluted and bowed his head while the President patted his shoulder.

“Well done and well deserved”, the President said.

Facing the press when all of the ceremony and handshaking was over, TB explained that he together with the Deputy Commander of ABRI, the Army, Navy, and Air Force Chief of Staffs, and the Chief of Police has been sworn in so that they can get on with the task of conducting ABRI’s command shuffle which will involve filling in positions for ABRI’s expanded organization now including the 3rd Naval Fleet, the 3rd Air Force Operational Command, the 3rd Marine Corps Troops, and the new Army Regional Military Commands.

16th March 2003:
“I wish to congratulate you, Mr. President, on your election as President of the People’s Republic of China and Chairman of the Central Military Commission”, Try said into the telephone.

“And of course, I must congratulate you on your recent re-election as President of the Republic of Indonesia”, replied President of China Luo Gan’s over the phone.

Try was accompanied by Marzuki Darusman and Edi as he placed his call to Luo. The conversation was pleasant enough with both Try and Luo confirming to each other that they will be at Brazil in a few months’ time to meet with the other BRICI economies in an informal summit. Then Try cautiously began talking about the virus which had originated in China and had spread to other countries including Malaysia; calling on the Chinese government to take decisive action. To Try’s surprise, Luo responded positively and promised that his first priority will be to take action to stop the prevention of this virus and crack down on “party officials” trying to play down the virus and not providing the full picture to the central government.

“I will also clamp down on the travel of our tourists abroad including to Malaysia for the time being”, Luo said before adding “Though it will be for you to explain yourself to Malaysia why you view their tourism industry with such disdain.”

Try only smiled to himself. He did not expect the honeymoon to last long.

“Well, I guess we’ve said all that can be said to each other, Mr. President”, Luo said “I just want to end by saying that Comrade Jiang Zemin talked a bit about your last conversation with him.”

Try tried to keep a poker face, this was what he was waiting for.

“We have a law here in China called the Law on the Territorial Sea and the Contiguous Zone”, Luo said calmly “Your comments about the South China Sea not belonging to us regardless of the amount of dash lines notwithstanding, I just want to state uncategorically here and now that for me, the law I just mentioned means that China’s assertion of sovereignty in that region is not based on nationalist chest-thumping but based on the Chinese Government’s legal obligation to ensure that China’s national interests and security are well-served.”

There was silence in the room.

“And make no mistake, I will make sure that this law is upheld”, Luo continued.

The call ended not long after that with Try chuckling to himself and saying he expected nothing less, Marzuki commenting that Luo will be more assertive than Jiang on strategic matters, and Edi not being happy at Luo for speaking to Try like that.

When Marzuki left, Try’s next guest came in, it was Vice President JB Sumarlin.

“A lot of work to do this Sunday, Mr. President?” asked Sumarlin.

“One big phonecall, Mr. Vice President” said the President before producing a piece of paper with some names on it “And then of course, there’s finalizing that. Let me know if you have any questions about some of the names.”

Sumarlin took the piece of paper and looked at the names.

“I put myself at the disposal of your good judgment and have nothing to add, Mr. President”, Sumarlin said.

“Then it’s settled, we have a cabinet”, the President “All we have to do now is announce it.”

---
Happy New Year guys.

I wanted a bit of a farewell for some of the guys who won’t be coming back in the next cabinet.

And yes, readers, the Najwa being mentioned here is none other than Najwa Shihab. She is a prosecutor ITTL so the interviewing style we’re familiar with in OTL will get its outlet in court in ITTL.

Like last time, Try swears in the top officers in the 4 branches of ABRI as well and in this case the commander and deputy commander of ABRI. TB Hasanuddin as Commander of ABRI, who saw that coming?

And Try has his first encounter with Luo Gan. The law which Luo mentions can be found at https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/PDFFILES/CHN_1992_Law.pdf. According to Strangio (2020), this law is at the basis of China’s claim on the South China Sea (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...Territorial+Waters&pg=PA3&printsec=frontcover)

There’s not a lot on Luo Gan and what he’s like (it seems communist regimes like to keep what their cadres are like under wraps). But the thing that can be gathered from his profile is that he is seen as a protégé of Li Peng (who advocated a hardline approach against the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests) and he has a law enforcement and security background (hence his spiel about China’s claim on South China Sea being a legal thing).

In a joint press conference at the Presidential Palace, State Secretary Edi Sudrajat and Cabinet Secretary Hayono Isman announced that President Try Sutrisno has issued instructions for all ministers to be ready to conduct a handover. When asked when the new cabinet would be announced, Edi only said that the timing will be the President’s call.
Another term, another cabinet. The 8th Development Cabinet is coming for sure

The meeting discussed the United States and its Coalition’ “humanitarian intervention” against Yugoslavia which had begun with air strikes to be followed by ground invasion. The President asked the meeting for their thoughts of about the impact of this conflict on Indonesia.

Ari Sudewo said that this means the United States is now officially taking on a “second war” in addition to the War on Terror/War in Afghanistan.
Kinda funny considering another America is now undergoing three separate wars at once in another TL on the same time period that i've followed.

The concern here is that for Asia, its focus will be elsewhere and that, with China having limited its involvement in providing aid to Yugoslavia, China will be freer to pursue its agenda in Asia.

Marzuki added that General Secretary of the Communist Party Luo Gan will assume the presidency in a few days’ time. The information from the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing is that Luo’s likely priorities in foreign policy will be continuing to make the world even more multipolar and trying to persuade more nations to switch from diplomatic relations with Taiwan to diplomatic relations with China. This, however, does not mean that Luo and China will have no interests outside of these two priorities, including its interests in Southeast Asia.

The President agreed with the notion that China will be freer to pursue its agenda in Asia, including Southeast Asia.
Entering uncharted territory with Luo Gan abound

“Paradoxically, it will be to our advantage for China being more free to pursue its agenda”, the President said “They will see that our concerns about China are legitimate instead of being a ploy to fulfill our “hegemonic aspirations”, as our Malaysian friends like to call it.”
Well, now Malaysia has their own major issue to be taken care of.

The concern coming from Wismoyo was Australia. The United States and its Coalition are going into Yugoslavia without the United Kingdom after the House of Commons failed to give its approval to the government. Now, the United States are turning to other members of the coalition to fill in the gap left behind by the United Kingdom. Australia, Wismoyo said, is the one looking to send the most personnel to Yugoslavia.

“They’re the ones deciding to send more personnel to Yugoslavia and then they’ll be the ones to feel exposed in front of us because their personnel and equipment are all the way in Yugoslavia” the President muttered shaking his head “I'm sure there’ll be some mischief from the Aussies’ end.”
Hopefully not as stupid as directly backing a certain Libyan, but who knows? I've reached The Australian-Chinese Coal Deal on my rereading today before a new entry came lol....

14th March 2003:
It was the day that cabinet speculation, which had slowly been building up since the end of the MPR General Session reached fever pitch with media outlets trying to dig up information about who’s staying put, who’s moving, and who will be the new faces in the cabinet.

There were plenty of clues as to who would no longer be in the cabinet. At a swearing in ceremony of Department of Public Works officials, Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar burst into tears when he called on the Department of Public Works to go on and complete various infrastructure even though “I will no longer be there”.

It was not all tears. Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad, inspecting a tax office where people were filing their tax returns, looked contented saying that after 10 years, he has had his fill of being minister. Minister of Religion Quraish Shihab was also cheerful when he said that he had requested not to be considered for a position in the next cabinet.
Salutes for you three.

He said he wants to complete his exegesis on the Qur’an and that he wants his daughter Najwa, a junior prosecutor, to shine on the basis of merit instead of on the basis of being a minister’s daughter.
Go, Mbak Nana!!! She would made a very fine PNI cadre in the future.

At the Presidential Palace, Wismoyo Arismunandar came out of a meeting with the President. Wismoyo announced to the press that the Navy’s 4 Sigma Missile Corvettes has arrived. The press however, was more interested on whether Wismoyo was staying or not. Wismoyo only chuckled.

“Rotations in and out of various offices are positions are nothing new for a military man like me”, Wismoyo said “I just want to say that what the President and I have been working on in the previous term is just the beginning.”
You would be missed, since you actually relented when it mattered the most...

At the Department of Foreign Affairs, Ginandjar Kartasasmita watched as his driver loaded boxes of items in his car. He was all smiles as he posed for pictures before getting in his car.

“You all have seen the last of me”, Ginandjar said “At least for now.”
...and you would not. Playing with the wrong kind of people....

15th March 2003:
At the Presidential Palace today, the President led a ceremony in which he swore in the following:

*Lt. Gen. Srijanto as Army Chief of Staff with a promotion to the rank of general
*V. Adm. Djoko Agoes Hanoeng as Navy Chief of Staff with a promotion to the rank of admiral
*Mshl. Teddy Sumarno as Air Force Chief of Staff with a promotion to the rank of air chief marshal
*Lt. Gen. (Pol.) I Made Mangku Pastika as Chief of Police with a promotion to the rank of police general

The President’s close relationship with TB Hasanuddin was evident. When the President walked to shake TB’s hands at the conclusion of the ceremony, TB saluted and bowed his head while the President patted his shoulder.

“Well done and well deserved”, the President said.

Facing the press when all of the ceremony and handshaking was over, TB explained that he together with the Deputy Commander of ABRI, the Army, Navy, and Air Force Chief of Staffs, and the Chief of Police has been sworn in so that they can get on with the task of conducting ABRI’s command shuffle which will involve filling in positions for ABRI’s expanded organization now including the 3rd Naval Fleet, the 3rd Air Force Operational Command, the 3rd Marine Corps Troops, and the new Army Regional Military Commands.
Certainly needed considering the upcoming battles ahead. And considering TB's predecessor, i think "Wi" would keep their hold in the MoD for another 5 years.

16th March 2003:
“I wish to congratulate you, Mr. President, on your election as President of the People’s Republic of China and Chairman of the Central Military Commission”, Try said into the telephone.

“And of course, I must congratulate you on your recent re-election as President of the Republic of Indonesia”, replied President of China Luo Gan’s over the phone.

Try was accompanied by Marzuki Darusman and Edi as he placed his call to Luo. The conversation was pleasant enough with both Try and Luo confirming to each other that they will be at Brazil in a few months’ time to meet with the other BRICI economies in an informal summit.
Well, Edi really keeping up his words back then.

To Try’s surprise, Luo responded positively and promised that his first priority will be to take action to stop the prevention of this virus and crack down on “party officials” trying to play down the virus and not providing the full picture to the central government.

“I will also clamp down on the travel of our tourists abroad including to Malaysia for the time being”, Luo said...
Well, good the-
....before adding “Though it will be for you to explain yourself to Malaysia why you view their tourism industry with such disdain.”

Try only smiled to himself. He did not expect the honeymoon to last long.
Yeah, of course lol

“Well, I guess we’ve said all that can be said to each other, Mr. President”, Luo said “I just want to end by saying that Comrade Jiang Zemin talked a bit about your last conversation with him.”

Try tried to keep a poker face, this was what he was waiting for.
And meta-speaking, me too since the last entry i've read here is about Try shutting Jiang's mouth lol.

“We have a law here in China called the Law on the Territorial Sea and the Contiguous Zone”, Luo said calmly “Your comments about the South China Sea not belonging to us regardless of the amount of dash lines notwithstanding, I just want to state uncategorically here and now that for me, the law I just mentioned means that China’s assertion of sovereignty in that region is not based on nationalist chest-thumping but based on the Chinese Government’s legal obligation to ensure that China’s national interests and security are well-served.”

There was silence in the room.

“And make no mistake, I will make sure that this law is upheld”, Luo continued.

The call ended not long after that with Try chuckling to himself and saying he expected nothing less, Marzuki commenting that Luo will be more assertive than Jiang on strategic matters, and Edi not being happy at Luo for speaking to Try like that.
Well, the paradoxial argument would be very necessary in the upcoming months. It all depends on Cambodia and Malaysia not fumbling their election and pandemic respectively, of couse.

When Marzuki left, Try’s next guest came in, it was Vice President JB Sumarlin.

“A lot of work to do this Sunday, Mr. President?” asked Sumarlin.

“One big phonecall, Mr. Vice President” said the President before producing a piece of paper with some names on it “And then of course, there’s finalizing that. Let me know if you have any questions about some of the names.”

Sumarlin took the piece of paper and looked at the names.

“I put myself at the disposal of your good judgment and have nothing to add, Mr. President”, Sumarlin said.

“Then it’s settled, we have a cabinet”, the President “All we have to do now is announce it.”
Try is really keen on thinking like Sumarlin does, and it makes this flows very swimmingly. As expected from the New Dwitunggal.

---

And Try has his first encounter with Luo Gan. The law which Luo mentions can be found at https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/PDFFILES/CHN_1992_Law.pdf. According to Strangio (2020), this law is at the basis of China’s claim on the South China Sea (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...Territorial+Waters&pg=PA3&printsec=frontcover)

There’s not a lot on Luo Gan and what he’s like (it seems communist regimes like to keep what their cadres are like under wraps). But the thing that can be gathered from his profile is that he is seen as a protégé of Li Peng (who advocated a hardline approach against the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests) and he has a law enforcement and security background (hence his spiel about China’s claim on South China Sea being a legal thing).
Really an uncharted territory, metaphorically-speaking. Hope all goes well for our nation TTL.

These people win BIG compared to OTL
The President’s close relationship with TB Hasanuddin was evident. When the President walked to shake TB’s hands at the conclusion of the ceremony, TB saluted and bowed his head while the President patted his shoulder
I guess considering how TB fared in OTL warrant the fact they are still not as close as Soeharto and Benny or Jokowi and Hadi AKA personally putting the stars and office marks on the inaugurated

Great update as always ✊, can't wait for the new cabinet lineup 😁

Also... Pls don't sack our boy Wismoyo 🥲

Last edited:
And good update, you do a good job of fleshing out the personalities of the ministers...
Thanks. I consider that something of an obligation. I think the guys that do the US Politics TLs here sometimes get really in-depth when fleshing out the people and the world of their TL that I am motivated to do the same.

Really an uncharted territory, metaphorically-speaking. Hope all goes well for our nation TTL.
I agree. And I don't want to make it seem like Indonesia's going out and trying to pick fights with people but I do want to tell the story is an Indonesia that's more assertive in foreign policy having undergone 30 years of economic development plus surviving the Asian Financial Crisis. And part of that IMO is that there will be those who will look warily at how Indonesia's progressing or there will be those whose interests clash with Indonesia.

These people win BIG compared to OTL
For variety's sake I do like to put people in different positions and perhaps do better than their OTL selves but at the same time, I try to have some logic to why different people are in different positions. Srijanto (alternatively spelled Sriyanto) was the officer on the ground during the Tanjung Priok Incident and I can see this being a "Look at Try rewarding someone who got his hands bloody with him" thing in the eyes of Human Rights NGOs. Meanwhile, I think Pastika would have had a real shot at being Chief of Police if he didn't retire so he can run for the governorship of Bali.

I guess considering how TB fared in OTL warrant the fact they are still not as close as Soeharto and Benny or Jokowi and Hadi AKA personally putting the stars and office marks on the inaugurated
The only reason I can think of for that is that Soeharto and Benny or Jokowi and Hadi/Andika/Yudo/Agus Subiyanto are closer in age? No mention was made of Soeharto putting the rank insignia to Try or Wiranto.

No mention was made of Soeharto putting the rank insignia to Try or Wiranto
I think that's because even though he was close with the king and his family, Try he was still considered Benny Moerdani's men and we all know how bad their relationship have become after "The Billiard Incident" and the ensuing diverging policy *cough* Hartono's defiance *cough*

For wiranto... Well he's just an aide de camp and were appointed when Soeharto was so powerful he can cancel any general's appointment even if wanjakti already approved it, while Hadi and the rest are either already have worked really well with Jokowi when he was still "weak"(mayor/2014-2016 presidency) or it's good a way to subtly tell them "I put you in that position" considering he's got no strong ties whatsoever inside the military

But Jokowi is a bad example from me cause someone told me he already does that since his first Navy CS and Air Force CS(the infamous only 3 days as a 3 star before ascending to 4 star) sorry about that 😅... So unless you're someone like Gatot kaca or Jokowi's birth name then he will most likely put it himself

Edit: also both Gatot kaca and Jokowi's birth name are way closer in age to Jokowi than Hadi and the others

242: Selamat Bertugas!
17th March 2003:
At the Jepara Room of the Presidential Palace where all the swearing in ceremonies were conducted, a group of men and women well-dressed in suit, tie, and peci for the former and kebaya for latter, were standing in place chatting with each other waiting for a ceremony to start. All around the room, the spouses as well as other guests had crowded around in their allotted spots.

Voiceover: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen wherever you may be around Indonesia, to this special live TVRI Broadcast from the Presidential Palace where we are just moments away from the swearing-in ceremony of the Eighth Development Cabinet.

The camera cuts to Marzuki Darusman deep in discussion with Wiranto who was standing beside him. Next to them, Dahlan Iskan turned around and was speaking to Siswono Yudohusodo and Sarwono Kusumaatmadja.

Voiceover: The Eighth Development Cabinet was of course announced last night by the President and this morning, the appointment will be made official by this swearing-in ceremony and we can see varius ministers waiting for the ceremony to start and passing the time.

Elsewhere among those waiting in the ceremony, Juwono Sudarsono waited stoically next to Slamet Effendy Yusuf while Meutia Hatta and Azrul Azwar was seen chatting.

Voiceover: Old faces and new faces alike…

Camera cuts to PPP members Muhyiddin Arubusman, Rusnain Yahya, and Khofifah Indar Parawansa chatting happily with each other. Fade to Sintong Panjaitan chatting with Manuel Kaisiepo and Maria Fernanda Lay.

Voiceover: There are PPP members but there also of course members of the PKPI in addition to non-partisans such as retired military officers, economists, academics, bureaucrats, journalists and those from other backgrounds. But regardless of their background, these are the men and women the President has chosen to…all right we’re getting word that the President has almost arrived.

The master of the ceremonies asked all the ministers to stand in their appointed places and not long after, President Try Sutrisno walked into the Jepara Room and stood in front of the ministers. Behind him Vice President JB Sumarlin stood with all of the other guests, taking his place next to Chairman of the DPR Matori Abdul Djalil while First Lady Tuti Setiawati and Second Lady Sudarmi Sumarlin took their places with the spouses of the ministers.

The President looked solemn as the patriotic tones of the national anthem was played and then silence descended on the room when the anthem was finished for a few moments, followed by the master of ceremonies’ voice.

“The reading out of the Presidential Decision Regarding the Formation of the Eighth Development Cabinet by the Deputy State Secretary”, he announced.

The camera now focused on Deputy State Secretary Prijono Tjiptoherijanto.

Voiceover: The Deputy State Secretary will be reading the Presidential Decision because the State Secretary is at present standing with the other ministers ready to be sworn in.

“Decision of the President of the Republic of Indonesia Number 17 of 2003”, began Prijono “The President of the Republic of Indonesia,

Considering:
Whereas based on the Fourth MPR Resolution of 2003, the President of the Republic of Indonesia has been elected, appointed, and inaugurated.

Whereas to best conduct the duties and responsibilities of the President, there is a need to form the Eighth Development Cabinet.

Whereas those whose names are mentioned in this Presidential Decision are deemed qualified to be appointed as ministers and officials with ministerial rank.

With reference to Article 4 section 1 and Article 17 of the 1945 Constitution and the Fourth MPR Resolution of 2003,

The President hereby decides and resolves:

First, to form the Eighth Development Cabinet and as of their swearing-in, appoints the individuals whose names are mentioned below to the posts mentioned behind their names:

Ministers In Charge of Departments:
*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Sintong Panjaitan as Minister of Home Affairs

*Marzuki Darusman SH as Minister of Foreign Affairs

*Gen. (Ret.) Wiranto as Minister of Defense and Security

*Anak Agung Oka Mahendra SH as Minister of Legal Affairs

*Dahlan Iskan as Minister of Information, Post, and Telecommunications

*Prof. Drs. Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti MA, Ph.D as Minister of Economics and National Development Planning

*Prof. Dr. Boediono B.Sc, M.Sc., Ph.D as Minister of Finance

*Anthony Salim BA as Minister of Trade

*Ir. Siswono Yudohusodo as Minister of Industry

*Ir. Sarwono Kusumaatmadja as Minister of Agriculture

*Drs. Awang Faroek Ishak MM., M.Si, as Minister of Mining and Energy

*Dr. Sapta Nirwandar SE as Minister of Forestry

*Adm. (Ret.) Arief Koeshariadi as Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries

*Prof. Dr. Ir. Budi Susilo Soepandji CES, DEA as Minister of Public Works

*Air Chief Marshal (Ret.) Chappy Hakim as Minister of Transportation

*Muhyiddin Arubusman as Minister of Manpower

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Sutiyoso as Minister of Tourism

*Prof. Juwono Sudarsono SH., BA., M.S., M.A, Ph.D as Minister of Education

*Prof. Dr. dr. Azrul Azwar MPH as Minister of Health

*Drs. Slamet Effendy Yusuf as Minister of Religion

*Prof. Dr. Meutia Hatta Farida Swasono as Minister of Social Affairs

*GBPH Joyokusumo as Minister of Culture

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Hendropriyono as Minister of Civil Service Reform

State Ministers with certain cross-departmental responsibilities:
*Ir. Erna Witoelar as State Minister of Environment

*Rusnain Yahya as State Minister of Transmigration

*Prof. Dr. Balthasar Kambuaya MBA., as State Minister of Small Medium Enterprises and Cooperatives

*Ir. Cacuk Sudarijanto as State Minister of State-Owned Enterprises

*Ir. Ridwan Hisjam as State Minister of Urban Development

*Ir. Cahyana Ahmadjayadi as State Minister of Rural Development

*Maria Fernanda Lay ST., as State Minister of the Development of Eastern Indonesia

*Prof. Dr. Ir. Indroyono Soesilo M.Sc, as State Minister of Research and Technology

*Bobby Suhardiman as State Minister of Housing

*Dr. Ir. Indra Djati Sidi M.Sc, as State Minister of Youth and Sports

*Nursyahbani Katjasungkana SH as State Minister of Female Empowerment and the Protection of Children

Junior Ministers in charge of special priorities:
*Ir. Adwin Haryanto Suryohadiprodjo MBA., as Junior Minister of Defense and Security with responsibility over coordinating military-related production by state-owned enterprises.

*Prof. Iwan Jaya Azis SE., M.Sc, Ph.D as Junior Minister of Economics and National Development Planning with responsibility over infrastructure planning.

*Dr. Darmin Nasution SE., M.A., as Junior Minister of Finance with responsibility over coordinating revenue raising.

*Prof. Dr. M. Amin Abdullah as Junior Minister of Religion with responsibility over coordinating Hajj, Zakat, and Waqf affairs.

Officials of Ministerial Rank:
*Gen. Tubagus Hasanuddin as the Commander of ABRI

*Dr. Ir. Bambang Subianto as the Governor of Bank Indonesia

*Muchtar Arifin SH as the Attorney General

*Prof. Mari Elka Pangestu M.Ec, Ph.D, as Head of the Investment Coordinating Agency (BKPM)

*Dra. Khofifah Indar Parawansa M.Si as Head of the National Family Planning Coordinating Agency (BKKBN)

*Ir. Indra Bambang Utoyo SE as Head of the National Land Agency (BPN)

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Yusuf Kartanegara as Head of the Logistical Affairs Agency (Bulog)

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Agus Widjojo Chairman of the Comprehension and Implementation of Pancasila Guideline Educational Guidance and Implementation Agency (BP-7).

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Ari Sudewo as Chief of the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (Bakin)

*Gen. (Ret.) Edi Sudrajat as the State Secretary

*Hayono Isman S.Ip as the Cabinet Secretary

*Dr. Komara Djaja as the Vice Presidential Secretary.

Second, this decision is effective from the date that it is enacted.

Enacted in Jakarta, 16th March 2003

Signed by Gen. (Ret.) Try Sutrisno, the President of Republic of Indonesia”

Prijono Tjiptoherijanto ended his reading of the Presidential Decision as officials representing the Islamic, Christian, Catholic, Hindu, and Buddhist faiths took their positions.

“The swearing in of the ministers of the Eighth Development Cabinet with the oath to be administered by the President of the Republic of Indonesia”, announced the Master of Ceremonies.

The President by now had in his hands a booklet containing the oath to be administered. He stepped up to the microphone.

“Are you all willing to be sworn in according to your respective religious faiths?” asked the President.

“WE ARE WILLING!”, replied the ministers.

The President then guided the ministers through the various religion-specific beginning of the oath before moving on to the oath proper.

“Now, would you please listen to my words and repeat after me:

That I…”
“BAHWA SAYA…”

“…in being appointed as a Minister or Official of Ministerial Rank,…”
“…UNTUK DIANGKAT MENJADI MENTERI ATAU PEJABAT SETINGKAT MENTERI…”

“…whether directly or indirectly, under any name or reason whatsoever,…”
“…LANGSUNG ATAUPUN TAK LANGSUNG, DENGAN NAMA ATAU DALIH APAPUN…”

“…has not promised or given or have any intention of procuring anything for anyone whatsoever.”
“…TIADA MENJANJIKAN ATAU MEMBERIKAN ATAUPUN AKAN MEMBERIKAN KEPADA SIAPAPUN JUGA.”

“I swear that I, in acting or not acting in my office…”
“SAYA BERSUMPAH, BAHWA SAYA, UNTUK MELAKUKAN ATAU TIDAK MELAKUKAN SESUATU DALAM JABATAN INI…

“….have not once received anything from anyone whatsoever whether directly or indirectly, whether a promise or a gift.”
“….TIADA SEKALI-KALI MENERIMA DARI SIAPAPUN JUGA, LANGSUNG ATAUPUN TAK LANGSUNG, SUATU JANJI ATAU PEMBERIAN.”

“I swear to be loyal to the Constitution, that I will uphold all regulations prevailing in the Republic of Indonesia…”
“…SAYA BERSUMPAH SETIA KEPADA UNDANG-UNDANG DASAR, BAHWA SAYA AKAN MEMELIHARA SEGALA PERATURAN YANG BERLAKU BAGI REPUBLIK INDONESIA…”

“That I, with all of my strength, will strive for the welfare of the Republic of Indonesia…
“BAHWA SAYA DENGAN SEKUAT TENAGA AKAN MENGUSAHAKAN KESEJAHTERAAN REPUBLIK INDONESIA.”

“That I will be loyal to the Archipelago and to the Nation…”
“BAHWA SAYA AKAN SETIA KEPADA NUSA DAN BANGSA…”

“And that I will loyally fulfill all the duties that has been entrusted to me…”
“DAN BAHWA SAYA AKAN MEMENUHI DENGAN SETIA SEGALA KEWAJIBAN YANG DITANGGUNGKAN KEPADA SAYA…”

“…by the office of minister or official of ministerial rank.”
…OLEH JABATAN MENTERI ATAU PEJABAT SETINGKAT MENTERI.”

Having sworn in his ministers, the President stood solemnly as the national anthem played again marking the end of the ceremony. The camera showed the faces of the new ministers, now looking equally solemn after being sworn into their new offices as opposed to looking nervous prior to being sworn in.

The ministers were now joined by their spouses where they stood and after some silence, the tunes of Padamu Negeri were played as the President began shaking hands with the ministers and their spouses.

Voiceover: And so, the Eighth Development Cabinet have now been sworn in. Already informally known as the Golden Cabinet because it comprises of 50 members. We see there the President after shaking hands with Minister of Home Affairs Sintong Panjaitan and his wife, moving on to Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman…Well we in the TVRI would like to congratulate all those who have been appointed to the Eighth Development Cabinet and place our hopes along with that of this nation’s on the shoulders of this cabinet and of course on the shoulders of our President and Vice President as they lead this nation over the next 5 years, whatever those 5 years may bring. Selamat Bertugas!

---
Selamat bertugas can be translated as “Good luck at your new job” or as “Good luck at your new appointment” but I feel that something is lost in the translation.

Yes, that’s how cabinets are sworn-in in Indonesia right down to the President congratulating those he has sworn in to the tunes of Padamu Negeri. I used this video as a point of reference

Yes, we in Indonesia are obsessed with titles both academic or otherwise. To the point where if you want to mention someone by their full name, you mention their titles as well and to the point where if you’re sending wedding invitations out to people you include the disclaimer “Apologies if we didn’t get your titles right.”

Just wanted to try something different than a short biographical profiles of the previous cabinet and cabinet reshuffle announcements.

There will be more on Dahlan Iskan’s health playing out differently ITTL when compared to OTL. His health issues began within the time period of the TL so I’m considering that butterflyable.

Indonesia’s never had a standalone Department of Culture. It always seems to be just tagging along with either the Department of Education or the Department of Tourism.

The VP’s Secretary sitting as a cabinet member is a fulfillment of the promise Try made to Sumarlin in Chapter 218. In OTL, the VP’s Secretary has always been subordinate to the State Secretary.

Was aiming for 45 people in the cabinet because that’s a sacred number in Indonesian numerology but 50 is not without its symbolism as well. Sukarno holds the record with 132 ministers (https://tirto.id/kabinet-dwikora-ii-kabinet-100-menteri-zaman-sukarno-ed23). Soeharto brought the cabinet down to an efficient and manageable size but it slowly grew throughout the course of his tenure.

Last edited:
More than 1 year until the fated event. How would the butterflies at this point affect the Big One ? Though, we still have a year to go so yeah.

The camera cuts to Marzuki Darusman deep in discussion with Wiranto who was standing beside him. Next to them, Dahlan Iskan turned around and was speaking to Siswono Yudohusodo and Sarwono Kusumaatmadja.
Nice to have them still around, and i guess my "Wi" prediction is coming true.

Elsewhere among those waiting in the ceremony, Sultan Hamengkubuwono X waited stoically next to Slamet Effendy Yusuf while Meutia Hatta and Azrul Azwar was seen chatting.
Wait a minute... ah well, maybe Sinuhun is one of the special guests invited since he's both the Governor of Yogyakarta and an esteemed supporter of PKPI.

Voiceover: Old faces and new faces alike…

Camera cuts to PPP members Muhyiddin Arubusman, Rusnain Yahya, and Khofifah Indar Parawansa chatting happily with each other. Fade to Sintong Panjaitan chatting with Manuel Kaisiepo and Maria Fernanda Lay.
Yeah, old and new faces, indeed.

First, to form the Eighth Development Cabinet and as of their swearing-in, appoints the individuals whose names are mentioned below to the posts mentioned behind their names:
Here we go!

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Sintong Panjaitan as Minister of Home Affairs
So i guess, Harsudiono would focus more on his role within PKPI this time.

*Marzuki Darusman SH as Minister of Foreign Affairs
Haha, suck that, Ginandjar!

*Gen. (Ret.) Wiranto as Minister of Defense and Security
Yup, coming true.

*Anak Agung Oka Mahendra SH as Minister of Legal Affairs

*Dahlan Iskan as Minister of Information, Post, and Telecommunications
Oh, this would be interesting.

*Prof. Drs. Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti MA, Ph.D as Minister of Economics and National Development Planning

*Prof. Dr. Boediono B.Sc, M.Sc., Ph.D as Minister of Finance

*Anthony Salim BA as Minister of Trade

*Ir. Siswono Yudohusodo as Minister of Industry

*Ir. Sarwono Kusumaatmadja as Minister of Agriculture
"Indonesian Numbers" would be a popular economic term for years to come ITTL. Hope they can maintain 8% and above.

*Drs. Awang Faroek Ishak MM., M.Si, as Minister of Mining and Energy

*Dr. Sapta Nirwandar SE as Minister of Forestry

*Adm. (Ret.) Arief Koeshariadi as Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
Pak Djiteng, Pak Barnabas, and Pak Tanto, y'all would be missed.

*Prof. Dr. Ir. Budi Susilo Soepandji CES, DEA as Minister of Public Works
Choo, choo!!!

*Air Chief Marshal (Ret.) Chappy Hakim as Minister of Transportation
Hm?

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Sutiyoso as Minister of Tourism
Ditto with Soejono, he would be missed.

*Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X as Minister of Education
Waaaaait a minute.... He's already appointed as the Governor of Yogyakarta according to the Yogyakartan Special Region Law. So now he's going to hold three jobs at once? If not, with Paku Alam IX as the ascendant governor, who would be the vice-governor?

*Prof. Dr. dr. Azrul Azwar MPH as Minister of Health
That aside, i hope Pak Azrul can beat the pandemic!

*Drs. Slamet Effendy Yusuf as Minister of Religion
Hope he can keep up with Quraish Shihab there

*Prof. Dr. Meutia Hatta Farida Swasono as Minister of Social Affairs
*salutes

*Manuel Kaisiepo SiP, MH as Minister of Culture
Yo, Culture Departement got its own ministry? Would be nice if he can strengthen the existing museum across the nation with refurbishment and exciting museum visitation programmes. As an avid museum visitor since the last three years, i would see this as a big win if he can do that.

*Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Hendropriyono as Minister of Civil Service Reform
There you go! Thought you would be out.

*Nursyahbani Katjasungkana SH as State Minister of Female Empowerment and the Protection of Children
*raises eyebrow

Prijono Tjiptoherijanto ended his reading of the Presidential Decision as officials representing the Islamic, Christian, Catholic, Hindu, and Buddhist faiths took their positions.

“The swearing in of the ministers of the Eighth Development Cabinet with the oath to be administered by the President of the Republic of Indonesia”, announced the Master of Ceremonies.

The President by now had in his hands a booklet containing the oath to be administered. He stepped up to the microphone.

“Are you all willing to be sworn in according to your respective religious faiths?” asked the President.

“WE ARE WILLING!”, replied the ministers.

The President then guided the ministers through the various religion-specific beginning of the oath before moving on to the oath proper.
A never seen occurence before. My heart warmed a little bit. Next, i hope Folk Beliefs can be acknowledged as the 7th State Religion.

Voiceover: And so, the Eighth Development Cabinet have now been sworn in. Already informally known as the Golden Cabinet because it comprises of 50 members. We see there the President after shaking hands with Minister of Home Affairs Sintong Panjaitan and his wife, moving on to Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman…Well we in the TVRI would like to congratulate all those who have been appointed to the Eighth Development Cabinet and place our hopes along with that of this nation’s on the shoulders of this cabinet and of course on the shoulders of our President and Vice President as they lead this nation over the next 5 years, whatever those 5 years may bring. Selamat Bertugas!
Would be a challenging one for sure.

Yes, we in Indonesia are obsessed with titles both academic or otherwise. To the point where if you want to mention someone by their full name, you mention their titles as well and to the point where if you’re sending wedding invitations out to people you include the disclaimer “Apologies if we didn’t get your titles right.”
Lol, indeed.

Just wanted to try something different than a short biographical profiles of the previous cabinet and cabinet reshuffle announcements.
And here i am providing a commentary on that lol

Indonesia’s never had a standalone Department of Culture. It always seems to be just tagging along with either the Department of Education or the Department of Tourism.
Well, a nice surprise there for sure.

Was aiming for 45 people in the cabinet because that’s a sacred number in Indonesian numerology but 50 is not without its symbolism as well. Sukarno holds the record with 132 ministers (https://tirto.id/kabinet-dwikora-ii-kabinet-100-menteri-zaman-sukarno-ed23).
That was a chaotic time.... That's all that i can say about that.