How many Leased Territories were discussed in China?

I know five that actually came into being:

I remember of other efforts by other nations, and some of the same, to attain similar zones though the exact details I no longer have on hand.

I know that, in the case of the United States, Secretary of State John Hay had tried to attain a lease on some bay area between the area of Taiwan and Shanghai; this effort was halted by Japan however who had their own designs on the exact same area and, in a bit of an ironic twist, cited the Open Door Policy as the reason for their opposition.

I also know that Italy had also attempted to obtain a lease but was rebuffed by the Chinese.

Just curious if anyone has any details on those two efforts, or if there were others that I may not be aware of.

I don't recall off the top of my head what the precise statuses of the Shanghai and Tianjin were; I imagine they were probably leases.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I don't recall off the top of my head what the precise statuses of the Shanghai and Tianjin were; I imagine they were probably leases.

Shanghai had an international area, the rest of the city remained under Chinese sovereignty

Tientsin?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Shanghai had an international area, the rest of the city remained under Chinese sovereignty

Tientsin?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf
Yes, I seem to recall there being concessions in Tianjin as well.
Hankou (part of modern Wuhan) in Hubei Province had a British concession.
The concessions aren't the same as the leased territories I'm discussing; it's the difference (I think) between embassies in another country and something akin to Guantanamo.

That was the Liaodong Peninsula that I mentioned in the OP. Technically it was only a small part of it though (roughly half).

Sorry, you're right. Didn't click on your link and knew it under another name.

macco to portugal
Probably should have listed Macao and Hong Kong proper, but those weren't leases but total cessions; essentially the Chinese government gave up any claim to those areas, whereas in the case of the leased areas they were given over to another nation for a set number of years (usually ninety-nine).

Edit: I didn't read this clearly enough. If you mean specifically leased territories, it is just the five you listed. But I'll leave in place a list of concessions, for what it may be worth to you.

To the wiki!

International Concessions (not a single nation, but to multiple)
Austro-Hungarian

Belgian

British

French

German

Kiautschou Bay leased territory (1898-1914)

Italian

Japanese

Russian

United States

NB: The original list also included HK, Macau, and Taiwan, but I deleted them as in my view they were never "concessions".
*Fun fact: Japan was actually forced to open Shimoda, Hakodate, Yokohama, Kobe, Nagasaki, Osaka, and Niigata as treaty ports to foreign powers. The new treaties eliminating the treaty system forced upon Japan did not take effect until 1899, which means any concession Japan operated in China before this year (those marked with an asterisk) were opened before this date. That puts Imperial Japan in the somewhat odd position of forcing treaty ports open in China at the very same time that Japan itself is forced to keep seven of its own ports open under a similar system, if only for a very brief time.

Last edited: