For Want of A Sandwich - A Franz Ferdinand Lives Wikibox TL

Canada
Canada.png

I am interested in the circumstances which led to Japan becoming a Republic.

It will be adressed, in due time.

What did we do to deserve Emanuele Filiberto and Lorenzo Fontana?
Agreed! Hope to see some Italian king wikiboxes explaining this!
Did Vittorio Emanuele abdicate?

Well, Italy is a major power in this TL, but some butterflies tend to be rather violent.

I notice some countries have much higher populations than OTL (China, Germany at 2X OTL even) while some have much lower (Japan) and others roughly the same (Italy, France, UK). I’m interested to see how this came about.

I assume considering they're a separate party from the Conservatives and the Progressives that the Republicans are a libertarian party ITTL.

I realize that with the ongoing rythm, and as I cannot answer all questions with entries, I will now respond to your questions directly instead of managing suspense, except for the main points.

Did Vittorio Emanuele abdicate?

Vittorio Emanuele IV had been, before his accession, an embarassment to the throne, clearly aligning himself with the Alt-Fascist Party and military governments, with several financial scandals embarassing him. From his accession, he conducted shady deals with the Mafia and doubtful businessman ; a sex and corruption scandal drew the final line and royal immunity was removed in 2004 ; condemned to a prison sentence and losing his appeal, the King finally abdicated on New Year's Eve in 2007, and has since escaped justice, residing in Switzerland.

I see more monarchies than OTL, I like.

This Wikibox is one of my masterpieces. I also notice that Tomislav III of Croatia managed to beat this year Louis XIV's record.

I notice some countries have much higher populations than OTL (China, Germany at 2X OTL even) while some have much lower (Japan) and others roughly the same (Italy, France, UK). I’m interested to see how this came about.

To make it simple : China was spared from the monstruosities of Maoism, but it has never implemented the single-child policy and this 2 billion population draws significant stress upon economy, drawing large unemployment and tremendous inequalities. China has incorporated emigration into its foreign policy (to make it quick : if you need cheap workforce, we send you people. But if you don't comply with our tariffs and interests, we send you TOO MANY PEOPLE.) and Chinese migration is among the highest in the world. The Yellow Peril remains vivid in Europe, replacing the OTL Arab or African migrations in the minds of racists.

Germany was spared from Hitler and retains among the largest Jewish populations in the world, second only to the United States. The country also benefitted from migration, drawing from its former African colonies and Central Europe. Russia was also spared from Communism and has a positive net migration rate, as does Italy, the United Kingdom or the United States (that has a larger population thanks to China but also troubles in Mexico).

Japan conducted a settler policy that, along with its fertility rates going down, has conducted to deplete the population.

France's case is more particular : the country has had its shares of violent dictatorships and paid a heavy prize to alt-World Wars, but this population has much more to do with the 15-million Algerians living in French Algeria...

Wittlesbach as King of Scotland? Did they bring the Jacobite claim up again?

When Scotland became independent, the new government wanted a monarchy and they turned to the Jacobite line of succession in a show of chauvinism. As such, they drew to the Wittelsbachs : as the current King of Bavaria is childless, Robert IV of Scotland was born Prince Robertas of Lithuania, second son to the King of Lithuania, himself a Wittelsbach.

I assume considering they're a separate party from the Conservatives and the Progressives that the Republicans are a libertarian party ITTL.

The Republicans became from time to time a moderate right-wing party, retaining some seats in the Midwest and New England. It became more and more Libertarian these days : the 2020 Republican candidate is former Governor of Michigan Mike Cox.

Feel free if you've got other questions and want a particular set of Wikiboxes !

Last edited:
So I take it that the US is a 2.5-party system roughly similar to the UK with Lab-Con-LibDem?

What happened to Luxembourg and the House of Grimaldi in Monaco?

Did Russia rescind the law barring women from the throne?

Also, as far as I know the heir to the House of Wittelsbach is the Duke of Bavaria's younger brother (who's also in his 80s) who has several daughters, the first of whom would succeed to the Jacobite line (she's the wife of the heir to the throne of Luxembourg) while a distant cousin would succeed to the Bavarian titles, since Scotland permitted female monarchs but Bavaria did not.

Loreto War
LoretoWar.jpg

The Loreto War, also known as the War of ‘38, was a military conflict between Ecuador and Peru, that lasted from 31 January to 3 August 1938.
Ecuador had maintained a claim over the Regions of Tumbes, Jaén and Maynas from the days of independence, all that had been gained by Peru on the Pacific Coast or in the Amazon. President Neptali Bonifaz, from the Conservative Party, had won a highly contested election in 1931, maintaining himself in power thanks to the help of the military, and was desperate for a military victory that would allow his dictatorship to hold against their oligarchic rival. Peru, by comparison, was in disarray following the Civil War and had no way to oppose an effective resistance to Ecuador, as the United States were also experiecing instability at that time.
The Loreto War saw a quick victory from the Ecuadorian Army led by General Alberto Enriquez Gallo, confirmed by the Treaty of Lima on August, 3 1938, that allowed Ecuador to increase its area by a half, with a new port in Tumbes and the rubber-rich region of Maynas and Iquitos, allowing itself a relative prosperity for most of the Twentieth Century. Peru, that was just recovering from the Civil War, was in no position to fight back. Incidents on the border would occur in 1981 and 1995 between the two countries, never evolving into a war thanks to the arbitration of the Havana Organization.
The consequences were far reaching for Ecuador, as war hero, General Enriquez Gallo, would seize power in a coup a week after peace, dislodging the waning Bonifaz dictatorship that was already in disarray but had asked for a war. An avowed reformist, Enriquez Gallo, as Jefe Supremo, would organize free elections, that would result in forty-five years of Conservative domination over Ecuador, incarnated by four-term President José Maria Velasco Ibarra.

Last edited: