An Idea that Struck Me; MacArthur/Russell following the '52 election

President Douglas MacArthur and Vice President Richard Russell elected following the 1952 Presidential Election.

Personal opinions on what that might result? Something I've been mulling over, though I would like to avoid the how and why this would happen since it would be for a project here on the forum. Suffice to say though that I very much possible in the situation I intend to create in that alternate 1952, but I want to gauge the opinions of other people on the matter of having Russell alongside MacArthur in the White House.

Last edited:
Well, MacArthur was a Republican, and Russell a Democrat. Is this some sort of independent/unity ticket? What circumstances would lead to them running together?

Well, MacArthur was a Republican, and Russell a Democrat. Is this some sort of independent/unity ticket? What circumstances would lead to them running together?

Eh......................

Can't really say without giving too much away. However I can say that MacArthur is the Republican nominee, and Russell is neither on the Republican or Democratic tickets as nominated at those conventions.

President Douglas MacArthur and Vice President Richard Russell elected following the 1952 Presidential Election.

Personal opinions on what that might result? Something I've been mulling over, though I would like to avoid the how and why this would happen since it would be for a project here on the forum. Suffice to say though that I very much possible in the situation I intend to create in that alternate 1952, but I want to gauge the opinions of other people on the matter of having Russell alongside MacArthur in the White House.

This makes no sense at all. What do you mean by "elected following the 1952 Presidential Election"? In 1956? In some kind of weird-ass special election? Or is this some garbled way of referring to "elected in the 1952 election" and taking office afterward?

Eh......................
Can't really say without giving too much away. However I can say that MacArthur is the Republican nominee, and Russell is neither on the Republican or Democratic tickets as nominated at those conventions.

So the election somehow goes to the House and Senate, Macarthur is elected by the Republican-controlled House. Russell, who was a replacement candidate for Vice President, is chosen by the Democrat-controlled Senate.

This makes no sense at all. What do you mean by "elected following the 1952 Presidential Election"? In 1956? In some kind of weird-ass special election? Or is this some garbled way of referring to "elected in the 1952 election" and taking office afterward?

What I'm getting is that there's a hung, three-way electoral college, with the Republicans in first and a Dixiecrat ticket barely edging out the national Dems for second. MacArthur is elected President by the House, Russell is elected VP by the Senate.

Japhy

Banned
It wouldn't work as a ticket. At the end of the day Russell was too much of a New Dealer, even while being a Conservative, to ever work with MacArthur, who is too much a political neanderthal to be a viable electoral candidate.

Absolutely not. Richard Russell was the man most responsible for torpedoing MacArthur's presidential hopes. As Chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, he did his best to bring out MacArthur's bullshit after Truman fired him. MacArthur walked into those hearings thinking it would be the first step to his presidency, but Russell made sure he was a laughingstock within months.

Absolutely not. Richard Russell was the man most responsible for torpedoing MacArthur's presidential hopes. As Chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, he did his best to bring out MacArthur's bullshit after Truman fired him. MacArthur walked into those hearings thinking it would be the first step to his presidency, but Russell made sure he was a laughingstock within months.
Damn, I actually did not know that, or rather that he was so key to the efforts of the committee on that point. :/

I've got two books on the men in question, so I'll see if there is anyway that can be better managed for this purpose.

I'm going to simply delete this thread, as even with another candidate other than Russell, it is no longer practical. It would have depended on a form of electoral fusion in a number of states but in one such state it would need to be present, Kentucky, such a practice had already been banned. So even under the best circumstances there wouldn't be enough for this "Southern" vice-nominee to stay ahead of the Democratic vice-nominee, and thus have the Vice Presidential election thrown to the Senate between the Republican and "Southern" vice-nominees.