What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

People place way too much importance on big nations controlling the course of world history. Small nations are basically either an afterthought or are completely subjected to the whims of bigger nations. While this is understandable considering that bigger nations are more likely to be more powerful, history is filled with small nations that have shown that they too can impact international politics and the course of history. Netherlands, Djibouti, UAE, Israel, Malta, Belgium, Switzerland, Cuba, Panama, Venice, Austria, etc.
I do have this one idea for a TL where Granada manages to preserve its independence from Spain but rather than pulling a Rereconquista or anything like that kind of just chills and builds up its economy and living standards like a larger Andorra while IDK helping the English and French out to give a middle finger to the Castilians/Aragonese.

I do have this one idea for a TL where Granada manages to preserve its independence from Spain but rather than pulling a Rereconquista or anything like that kind of just chills and builds up its economy and living standards like a larger Andorra while IDK helping the English and French out to give a middle finger to the Castilians/Aragonese.
"Chill Granada: The Coolest Nation in Europe, a TL"

“Silly Castilians with all their grand dreams of being the Roman Empire, converting everyone to Catholicism and finishing the Reconquista.....why can’t they learn to take things easy?"
"Like the portuguese over there!
They seem to be having fun"
*Shows a blood-splattered caravel*

"Like the portuguese over there!
They seem to be having fun"
*Shows a blood-splattered caravel*
“Or Belgium. All those guys want to do is eat Chocolate and Waffles-Leopold were did those hand’s come from? What happened to the Children? Answer me!"

To avoid this trope, who are generally regarded as some of the most likely alternatives to succeeding Lenin, and what do people think their rules may have looked like?
I’ve seen Yakov Sverdlov(Who was the Union’s technical Head of State) proposed as a potential successor.....though as he was pals with Uncle Joe I doubt he would be much different. Nikolai Bukharin also seems to be something of a shoe in for these sort of scenarios. Though now that I think about it I don’t actually think I’ve yet seen a TL where Trotsky takes over the USSR....does it just strike people as to obvious of a POD or something?

I’ve seen Yakov Sverdlov(Who was the Union’s technical Head of State) proposed as a potential successor.....though as he was pals with Uncle Joe I doubt he would be much different. Nikolai Bukharin also seems to be something of a shoe in for these sort of scenarios. Though now that I think about it I don’t actually think I’ve yet seen a TL where Trotsky takes over the USSR....does it just strike people as to obvious of a POD or something?
My guess is that they believe that Trotsky ruling the USSR will end in the collapse of the whole USSR after his death, or Operation Unthinkable becomes Operation Imperative..

Though now that I think about it I don’t actually think I’ve yet seen a TL where Trotsky takes over the USSR....does it just strike people as to obvious of a POD or something?
Because its pretty unlikely as he made everyone hate him by mentioning his supposed intellectual superiority at every opportunity
That and AHub did a video on it(very good btw) which by default makes people use it as their go-to scenario rather than write a TL on the topic

Yeah he pretty much was just your average right-wingers stereotype of a Communist Intellectual lol.
Really says something about him that Stalin, with all his flaws, managed to become more popular than him and alongside some good deal of scheming, basically have the other Bolsheviks assent to his ascension

Really says something about him that Stalin, with all his flaws, managed to become more popular than him and alongside some good deal of scheming, basically have the other Bolsheviks assent to his ascension
"Look he's a gangster but my God is he a beautiful gan-I mean, he actually has skills to lead is what Im saying"
I’d say Lenin’s most notable successor options being a random Georgian Seminary drop out and a Jewish Ukrainian is ASB.....but then again a titled Noblemen leading a Communist revolution is pretty nonsensical in the first place.

I’d say Lenin’s most notable successor options being a random Georgian Seminary drop out and a Jewish Ukrainian is ASB.....but then again a titled Noblemen leading a Communist revolution is pretty nonsensical in the first place.
Also with a personal vendetta against the Tsar because another Tsar killed his brother and he went on a revenge quest
Sounds like the plot of an anime really

Also with a personal vendetta against the Tsar because another Tsar killed his brother and he went on a revenge quest
Sounds like the plot of an anime really
“Tsar Nicholas you killed my elder brother prepare to Die!"
Oh and as a side note but apparently Keresnksy’s dad helped him get into University which is just lol

“Tsar Nicholas you killed my elder brother prepare to Die!"
Oh and as a side note but apparently Keresnksy’s dad helped him get into University which is just lol
Not Nickie! Another one

Lenin was also transported by Imperial Germany to St Petersburg itself at the most convenient time possible so he could finally pull that off

Oh and there's also the anedoctal story about Rasputin saying that if he were killed by the people Russia would prosper but if he was killed by the nobility(specifically someone related to the Romanovs) the Imperial Family would die and when the capital changed name they'd know the Empire came to an end

Oh and there's also the anedoctal story about Rasputin saying that if he were killed by the people Russia would prosper but if he was killed by the nobility(specifically someone related to the Romanovs) the Imperial Family would die and when the capital changed name they'd know the Empire came to an end
Speaking of Rasputin theirs apparently a conspiracy theory that he was actually secretly Serbian and only did the whole holy man/healer act to get the Romanovs to enter WW1 so to obliterate the Hapsburgs.